• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please, for the love of God - Help me. Revel Performa 3 M106.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why look at the low end?Others pay $2000 :p
Because the OP did not want to spend an arm and a leg... $60 for 2 meters of wire is preposterous coupled with a $350 amp.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Because the OP did not want to spend an arm and a leg... $60 for 2 meters of wire is preposterous coupled with a $350 amp.
Cheap can be expensive if you blow things up.
It's not like he'll put 200$ opamps to a 150$ amp as we see there days.

And Mogamis last for life,he won't have to check and recheck if the bare copper turns black.
I actually find them dead cheap for their quality.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I thought we were on ASR, 60 gbp for 1 meter of assembled speaker cable? What the hell!
*pair,so 2 meters*
Never thought of ASR as the equivalent of a thrift store.
Mogamis are established nice pro cables,nothing to do with snake oil.

OP
SabreVenga

SabreVenga

You are heading towards a nice system :)

Quick sense check: when you are connecting your Speakers to your Amp turn the Amp off first (unplug it). Easiest way to avoid any problems if you accidentally touch live cables. It's not dangerous to you, but it's not good for the equipment.
Thank you for this, knowing me I would've plugged everything in and just flicked it on immediately

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
well... ASR have surely made audio gear shopping like thrift store hunt for many.....
Many aren't buying 3000$ amplifier anymore, replacing those with 300$ in search of audio fidelity or otherwise.

Mogami are very good for sure... but there are equally good cheaper alternatives... one can just apply the same logic as amplifier hunt!

Sokel

Master Contributor
well... ASR have surely made audio gear shopping like thrift store hunt for many.....
Many people aren't buying 3000$ amplifier anymore, replacing those with 300$ in search of audio fidelity or otherwise.

Mogami are very good for sure... but there are equally good cheaper alternatives... one can just apply the same logic as amplifier hunt!
Anyone is free to choose what they want.
Other go for cheap,others for performance,others for looks,etc.

In my recommendations I reflect myself,safety,ease,care free operation,headroom,looks and performance.
And I know it would be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff.

Guddu

Anyone is free to choose what they want.
Other go for cheap,others for performance,others for looks,etc.

In my recommendations I reflect myself,safety,ease,care free operation,headroom,looks and performance.
And I know it would be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff.

Your recommendation was excellent IMO.

JeremyFife

My view: the Mogami is good cable and it ought to be well built. It is more expensive than is really necessary, but it's not stupidly expensive. Don't stress about this - especially since the OP has already bought it!
Fit it, forget it and enjoy the music :)

er|κzvio1in

*pair,so 2 meters*
I stand corrected, I didn't read it properly and didn't notice they offered a pair of cables. 30 GBP each is much more reasonable. Especially when factoring in the cost for the time needed for getting the tools out and assembling your own banana plugs on the cable ends.

Guddu

My view: the Mogami is good cable and it ought to be well built. It is more expensive than is really necessary, but it's not stupidly expensive. Don't stress about this - especially since the OP has already bought it!
Fit it, forget it and enjoy the music :)

Right.

But it actually gets unnecessarily expensive when you look at a bit longer ones, but nice and durable for sure.

Pareto Pragmatic

But it actually gets unnecessarily expensive when you look at a bit longer ones, but nice and durable for sure.

For a given cable brand, you are basically paying more for more copper. That's my impression of prices.

Low price? Amazon basic works. A bit more money? Mediabridge is nice. Can't go wrong with what the OP got though.

SabreVenga, the Wiim amp will do all sorts of good things for you. You can learn to use the EQ, it can support a sub, it streams music from many services (which will sound a bit better than bluetooth), it's a great all in one. No single part of it is what I would call great, but solid, and the combination of features is hard to beat. It's a great first choice.

If you ever feel the desire for more, it will also serve as a streamer for another amplifier down the road. So it is money well spent.

Enjoy!

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you can see the two types at either end of the cables I linked. Your speakers appear to be able to accept either. Assuming the banana end fit into the WiiM amp, I'd connect the other end to speakers via spades. It will also work in the opposite orientation: spade end at the WiiM, bananas at the speakers. Avoid the "pin" connector.
115177.image0.jpg

Pin - Spade - Banana

If you can get away with a slightly shorter cable, I also like these:
UCINNOVATE 2 Pack HiFi OFC Speaker Cable with Banana Plug to Jumper Spade, Banana Plug to U Fork Plug 14AWG Speaker Wire Cord Jumper Bridge Cable for Speaker Amplifier (6.56FT)

There's been a rather excessive discussion of speaker cables in this thread -- all well-intentioned of course.

My advice, FWIW:
  1. Use banana plugs on both ends. They are perfect sound quality-wise and the most convenient
  2. Buy the longest run of cable you are likely to use in the medium term
  3. Get 12 ga. cable. 14 ga. would do but go for the 12 ga. is more robust; 10 ga. is unnecessary and excessively heavy
  4. However do get flexible, multi-strand cable
  5. Don't spend more than US$100 on a pair of speaker cables.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Why waste $60 on 2 meters of cable... you can have the same result for way less. Just get some decent copper lamp cord, at least 2.5mm^2. Just connect them bare wire, no need for silly connectors.
You're right (as you usually are), and I was going to recommend this myself, except that it's too easy for a newbie to cross-wire the speaker/amp connections and have serious phase-shift. But since he's dealing with what? one meter of wire? this shouldn't be a concern as long as he marks it on the cord.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay so I bought the WiiM amp. Thanks a lot for that. How do I connect it to the speakers when it comes? For the 'purest' sound?

So fine and the WiiM will probably work very well: got a decent review from Amir. However the Revel M206's "deserve" an even better amp and you'd do will to consider that for the future.

For a one-box solution at moderate price I personally would consider the miniDSP SHD Power. If I were able to go a bit nuts I'd look at the NAD M33.

index.php

Last edited:

JeremyFife

So fine and the WiiM will probably work very well: got a decent review from Amir. However the Revel M206's "deserve" an even better amp and you'd do will to consider that for the future.

For a one-box solution at moderate price I personally would consider the miniDSP SHD Power. If I were able to go a bit nuts I'd look at the NAD M33.

index.php
"upgraditis" ... it's a curse :)

Resist, and listen to music instead!
(and come back to this thought in a year's time)

OP
SabreVenga

SabreVenga

Okay, so. I've set up the speakers, with the WiiM amp. I desperately don't want to sound sensationalist, but, I feel like this is the first time in my life I've ever heard music. To say I am blown away is an understatement. Overwhelmed just about cuts it.

Top Bottom