• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono Preamp for Audiolab 6000a

jan0bra

Hey Guys!
My System consists out of the Audiolab 6000A, Technics 1200 mk2 with Nagaoka mp-110 and the Klipsch RP-600m Speakers (yes i know, shame on me, i bought them before i found this excellent forum :rolleyes::D).

The Phono-Sound with the Audiolab 6000A is quite nice, but because I'm mainly listening to vinyl I'm trying to step my game up! My Price Range is 200€-300€.
I'm thinking maybe Mani 2, ifi zen phono or even Cambridge Audio Solo (or Duo, I'm using MM)... I would get the Cambridge Audio Solo or Duo based on Measurements, but some say its thin sounding. And thin sounding in combination with my klipsch horn speakers.... i dont know...

Do you think that one of those phono preamps will improve my sound? Or will i have to invest more for the improvement to become noticable?

I just cant decide o_O
Hope you can help me with my Choice!

Caciara

Hi! Generally it is better to have a separate preamp phono, the one built into the amplifiers is rarely good. I was kind of in your situation and the problem is that it’s really hard to find a phono preamp that does everything right. The cambridge audio alva duo I think is great but the input overload could be greater. The cambridge audio alva solo is not bad but the riia is not the best. The art precision phono pre also doesn’t have a great riia. Recently the project s3b was released which doesn’t look bad but it hasn’t been tested really well, on hifi news there’s something... There are many more in this price range (mofi, schiit, various ifi phono, vincent, rega, emotiva ecc.) but I took only this into account because with the other phono preamps I had to make too many compromises. But that’s just my opinion, and I’m not an expert, just an enthusiast.

HonestSonics

Most reviews and testing of the Audiolab phonostage show it to be very capable for an integrated amplifier. I think you'd have to go higher than €2/300 for it to be worthwhile. I am running a phono preamp that cost approx £550 with my Audiolab 6000a. The difference is not huge, and the Audiolab preamp actually provides more gain. It was more the phono adjustability I was after, to keep capacitance low etc.

OP
J

jan0bra

Thanks for the advices! Thats also what i found on the Internet. I guess i'll Stick with my internal phono Stage and Upgrade Something Else First. Thinking about getting the audiolab 8000p as a poweramp or the topping l30ii.

knownothing

Mani 2. It replaced the internal on a family members system to pair with Nagaoka MP 110 and nobody’s looking back.

Top Bottom