• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade path - seeking recommendations.

Kevlarsjal

Current Equipment:

Integrated Amp: Audiolab 6000hu with Audiolab DC Block

Streaming: Musicast WXAD-10, RCA to 6000h

Vinyl: Rega P6, Ania MC, Michell Tecnoarm, Rega Phono MC, Neo PSU.

Speakers: Focal Aria 926

Subwoofer: SVS PB1000

AVR: Denon AVR X3400H pre-out L&R to 6000h.

Analogue source is the Rega P6.

Digital source is either Spotify or my Twonkyserver via the WXAD-10 Musicast app.

Particularly on the digital HiFi side (I'm happy with the HT side) I am keen to know people's thoughts on a sensible upgrade path. I feel like I am missing room correction and bass management. The room is, I assume, fairly difficult acoustically due to the amount of glass and offers limited treatment options. During HiFi listening I find bass from the Arias a little boomy. I don't listen at particularly high volumes, I prefer to focus on detail and stage. I believe the 6000a has a very well regarded DAC but I don't feel wowed.

The SVS sub is currently connected only to the AVR. An experiment connecting it to the Audiolab L pre-out was underwhelming.

I've listened to recommendations re the Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 but it doesn't have enough connectivity to handle the AVR fronts AND the Rega MC Phono stage. The more expensive models are financially out of the question. I'd also need to upgrade the WXAD-10 to the WXC50 to take advantage of it's optical out (I really like the Musicast app)

My question is, if you had this system, what would your upgrade path look like and why? If you had around £1k to spend immediately, where would you start to improve digital sources in particular?

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Try taking your Audiolab out of the chain - let your perfectly decent Denon work as your amp.
Reason for that is to use the AVR's good DSP - could make a huge difference.
You've identified the issues (room EQ and sub integration) and you already have the tools to deal with it.

See what you can do about your reflective surfaces (compromise)

Get your sound nailed, and then you can think about other changes. You may not need anything else!

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Meant to say, if you are going WXAD to Audiolab via RCA then you're not using the Audiolab DAC (you have an analogue connection, and the WXAD is doing the conversion - it measures pretty well though)

McDougal

I've listened to recommendations re the Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 but it doesn't have enough connectivity to handle the AVR fronts AND the Rega MC Phono stage. The more expensive models are financially out of the question. I'd also need to upgrade the WXAD-10 to the WXC50 to take advantage of it's optical out (I really like the Musicast app)

Is there a special reason for the WXC-50? Most people go down the Lyngdorf route because it has integrated streaming. The interface they use is pretty basic from reviews, so no jazzy app, but it's Roon ready if you want the nuclear approach, or you can just use Spotify, Tidal etc. If it's for multi-room audio look at something like a Wiim as they are inexpensive and can be found used easily enough.

Have you tried setting your crossovers differently? Is this an option with the 6000h? Not familiar with that model, but would have thought with an SVS Sub you shouldn't be hearing that much bass from your speakers themselves as the SVS should be handling that?

Sorry just re-read and saw you said it was underwhelming - did you set your speakers to full range in your 3400H? I believe you would need to set them to "large" and disable subwoofer in the Denon. This would mean that everything gets sent to the 6000h, which would then send the bass to the sub but I suppose that depends if you can adjust the crossover on that device.

Chazz6

I found that even a curtain of lightweight translucent cotton over a window helps a lot.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy a measurement mic, for example the UMIK-1, and start making some measurements. Then you can see better what to improve.

Top Bottom