• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Philips Fidelio X2HR Review (headphone)

oreganobag

I want to step up from these. I've had two pairs over about 6 years - I think. They replaced my more analytical AKG Q701s, I believe, I used for competitive gaming way back in the day. I no longer play competitive games, and like watching action/sci-fi movies, playing RPGs with lots of dialogue, actions and amazing music, space games for rumbling bass while firing boosters and listening to my torpedos explode, and just general daily driving music listening. I think I really do prefer open back sound stages because even on more expensive closed backs

Listened to HE400SEs and they were both the HEs and X2HR were very similar until I managed to drop those and introduce a channel imbalance. I've since moved my setup to prevent that (cable was getting wrapped around my chair or my dogs and basically ripped them off my head when I swivled around). I've got a pair of JM modded HE-R9s hoping for a bass head upgrade, but I think the X2HRs are more pleasant sounding after comparing the 2. The closed back design really muddies the sound stage. Also, my lack of EQ experience doesn't help.

I think I'm looking at DCA Aeon 2 Opens, but I'm open to almost anything under $1000. I'd guess I'm looking for a great harmon target headphone with improved clarity. I don't like bright peaky highs and love headslam bass, but I need my clarity and detail. Any suggestions?

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I want to step up from these. I've had two pairs over about 6 years - I think. They replaced my more analytical AKG Q701s, I believe, I used for competitive gaming way back in the day. I no longer play competitive games, and like watching action/sci-fi movies, playing RPGs with lots of dialogue, actions and amazing music, space games for rumbling bass while firing boosters and listening to my torpedos explode, and just general daily driving music listening. I think I really do prefer open back sound stages because even on more expensive closed backs

Listened to HE400SEs and they were both the HEs and X2HR were very similar until I managed to drop those and introduce a channel imbalance. I've since moved my setup to prevent that (cable was getting wrapped around my chair or my dogs and basically ripped them off my head when I swivled around). I've got a pair of JM modded HE-R9s hoping for a bass head upgrade, but I think the X2HRs are more pleasant sounding after comparing the 2. The closed back design really muddies the sound stage. Also, my lack of EQ experience doesn't help.

I think I'm looking at DCA Aeon 2 Opens, but I'm open to almost anything under $1000. I'd guess I'm looking for a great harmon target headphone with improved clarity. I don't like bright peaky highs and love headslam bass, but I need my clarity and detail. Any suggestions?
Hi,

Considering what you describe, I suggest you try to give an ear to Audioquest NightHawk.
Those headphones are not made by Audioquest anymore I think.
But you can find them used on traditional second hand channels.
About 250 dollars for a used pair I think.

Somewhat dark sound but that you can listen to for hours and hours.
And pretty comfortable too.

Reagrds.

Ufasas

Look at these steelseries net type beauties, who said there aren't enough replacements for x2hr? :) found them on AliExp (search "Ear Pads Protein Skin For Philips Audio Fidelio X2HR X1 X3") , from what i was listening over AIMP3 player @ 320kbps tracks i keep opinion as these are 2nd best x2hr pads for me, original ones still 1st best i guess, but 2nd best are easiest to clean from hair/dust/etc (unlike originals = dirt magnet)

Attachments

• 20230515_123328.jpg
    20230515_123328.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 20230515_124144.jpg
    20230515_124144.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 130

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not interested in graphics at all, these measurements are all bullshit. I'll get mine on Friday and I'll tell you soon!
Ha, I'm sure that there are many here that can't wait for your impressions, afterall it seems you know what you're talking about! ;) [sarcasm, as couldn't possibly let people think otherwise!]

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm not interested in graphics at all, these measurements are all bullshit. I'll get mine on Friday and I'll tell you soon!

When you think measurements are all bullshit ... why are you posting at ASR ?

I too am not that interested in graphics but am interested in graphs (plots).

Please do tell us your findings... then other ASR members can tell you if they find those findings bullshit or not.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No they aren't, they conform to a standard. This is handy when one tries to compare results when measuring according to a standard.
On the other hand they do say something about how much deviation there is compared to that standard.
When one has a reference (a headphone one knows how they sound) and a plot from that headphone one can get a pretty good picture of the tonal balance under lab conditions.
Distortion measurements can also tell a lot about a headphone when measured at various SPL.

The biggest issue, however, is interpretation of such plots and relating those to one's actual hearing.
So... measurements are not bullshit. It only appears to be bullshit when one does not know what plots mean or thinks they know but really don't.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you for example seems interested
Oh yes, I am definitely interested. I don't care what you think about the headphones, I am just curious what kind of mindset does it take for someone to come to a forum famous for its measurements and say something silly like what you said.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you for example seems interested
Well I want to see what you come up with, for a laugh. Not that we can attach much weight to your individual assessments even if you think you're the best subjective headphone reviewer in the world (if that could even be a thing), but I'm just curious what you're gonna say.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems you already have a preconceived opinion about something you haven't read yet, how clever...
Naa, it's fine, as I said, I'm curious with what you come up with your assessment. It won't really carry any weight, but I'm just personally curious what you're gonna write - so I'd rather you give it a go. (As a side bonus it might be quite funny, that's all I'm saying!)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you know it won't be carry any weight?
By definition of subjective impressions, especially if they are not backed up by measurements, and seeing as you think measurements are garbage then it doesn't leave you with much. But, but, given that we know how this headphone measures, and depending on what if any comparisons you make then it's just possible that some of your subjective impressions might make sense depending on what you say - but ultimately it doesn't mean that much to anyone. Certainly you starting off with attitude that "measurements are garbage" is just trolling when posting here on ASR, but I'm still curious what you're gonna say in your "review", so I would still like you to put something down on paper here. Mostly it's entertainment value though.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Carlos. Amir provides his own very detailed "Individual Hearing Assessment" at the conclusion of his 1st post.
It appears that this subjective opinion by a very experienced listener does not have weight with you.

You need to hear it yourself. That's fair.

You cannot then expect for us to put much weight on your subjective opinion.

I would still like to know what it is when you have listened.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People also respect this experienced zeos pantera a lot, what a joke, the guy is an entertainer.
You are right, but very few people on this forum respect Zeos. In addition to being subjective, he shills products for $$. Nearly every product he reviews is the next best must buy. That does not happen here.

My point is that if you only trust your own experience, then you should have empathy for people here when we do the same. Measurement may not be perfect, but it is extremely useful when you cannot personally experience every product.

markanini

Major Contributor
The only weight diffenntial to a single persons subjective impression is a lowered one if I suspect a brand/retailer relationship AKA glorified ad reads. I rather value a multitude of subjective impressions, as an addon to objective measurements. Amir gives good reasons why objective measurements alone can't give a full picture, see minutues 11-21 in
Amirs video. Please, just share your impressions, don't be cocky about it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"it doesn't mean that much to anyone" ...looks like the coward type who needs support to bully
Maybe i will leave you in ignorance of your line drawings. Who cares.
Well look, don't worry about it, if you want to post what you think to the headphones then do so, don't build it up to something that it's not, which is effectively what you've been doing combined with your initial trolling that measurements aren't important.

markanini

Major Contributor
Okay, one more word, what I wanted to say was... A cold, mechanical test ear doesn't have the capacity to capture emotion that the human ear so delicately embraces. As accurate as it is in reproducing sounds, this ear devoid of sensitivity cannot capture the essence that resides in melodies and harmonies.
The human ear is a divine instrument, capable of discerning the subtle nuances that permeate each musical note. It connects with the soul and translates into emotions what is transmitted by sounds. It is through him that we can feel the joy of a festive song, the sadness of a melancholic melody and the serenity of a soft chord.
The test ear can be useful to evaluate the technical quality of an audio equipment, but you will never be able to experience the shiver on your skin caused by a song that touches your heart, or the tears that well up in your eyes when listening to a melody that touches you deeply. . Emotion transcends the mere reproduction of sounds and dwells in the unique interpretation that each human being is capable of performing. It is a subjective and personal experience, shaped by our experiences, feelings and perceptions.
So while the test ear is just a mechanical device, the human ear is a window into the beauty and artistic expression that music provides. It is through it that we are graced with the ability to feel, to connect with the sound universe and to be transformed by the magic that emanates from each chord.
For the same reasons biological machines are highy prone to bias, suggestive thinking, misattribution etc. That's why a mix objective and subjective evaluation is better than either alone.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, one more word, what I wanted to say was... A cold, mechanical test ear doesn't have the capacity to capture emotion that the human ear so delicately embraces. As accurate as it is in reproducing sounds, this ear devoid of sensitivity cannot capture the essence that resides in melodies and harmonies.
The human ear is a divine instrument, capable of discerning the subtle nuances that permeate each musical note. It connects with the soul and translates into emotions what is transmitted by sounds. It is through him that we can feel the joy of a festive song, the sadness of a melancholic melody and the serenity of a soft chord.
The test ear can be useful to evaluate the technical quality of an audio equipment, but you will never be able to experience the shiver on your skin caused by a song that touches your heart, or the tears that well up in your eyes when listening to a melody that touches you deeply. . Emotion transcends the mere reproduction of sounds and dwells in the unique interpretation that each human being is capable of performing. It is a subjective and personal experience, shaped by our experiences, feelings and perceptions.
So while the test ear is just a mechanical device, the human ear is a window into the beauty and artistic expression that music provides. It is through it that we are graced with the ability to feel, to connect with the sound universe and to be transformed by the magic that emanates from each chord.
( :facepalm: Beautiful )

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
........A cold, mechanical test ear doesn't have the capacity to capture emotion that the human ear so delicately embraces. As accurate as it is in reproducing sounds, this ear devoid of sensitivity cannot capture the essence that resides in melodies and harmonies......
ChatGPT Right? Amazing what cold mechanical bots can do these days.

Top Bottom