• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Philips Fidelio X2HR Review (headphone)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@sweetchaos How do you determine the preamp setting? I don't see it in the screenshots. Do you just guess slightly below Amir's highest positive increase?
The pre-amp gain depends highly on what music you play and how much increase you have dialed in at low frequencies where music is loudest. A mathematic approach may overestimate this value. I use the overload indicator in Roon to adjust the level empirically.

MrOtto

I have the X2HR and the ATH-M50x and have listen to both on the same equipment and music with Amirm's recommended EQ in MathAudio Headphone EQ, and I must say how much more joyful the listening experience the X2HR is, it just creates a scene much more beautiful than the ATH-M50x can and you can listen to it for hours, while the ATH-M50x which is recommended with EQ (X2HR is not), feels more annoying to listen to, much more cramped and up close to your ears soundwise. These headphones can't both be bought for $150 and you it's a shame not getting the X2HR, believe me. There is no competition between these two in the listening experience.

Foobar2000 ASIO output
Topping E30 DAC
JDS Labs Atom

I also have: Monoprice Monolith M1060C, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80, Sennheiser HD 25 II, Sony MDR-ZX110, Sony MH755, Beyerdynamic DTX 350m, Sony MDR-CD550 (since '95)
Next: Audio-Technica ATH-R70x or Sennheiser HD 6XX/HD 600

concorde1

I've had X2HR's for many years. I've recently started EQ-ing all my headphones based on Oratory1990. My other three HP's sound excellent EQ'd. The X2HR still sound grainy to me after EQ. I suppose it must be distortion, because the EQ for X2HR is excellently fitting.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I've had X2HR's for many years. I've recently started EQ-ing all my headphones based on Oratory1990. My other three HP's sound excellent EQ'd. The X2HR still sound grainy to me after EQ. I suppose it must be distortion, because the EQ for X2HR is excellently fitting.

That's because the X2HR peaks at 10kHz but Oratory's rig has a dip there so he doesn't filter the 10kHz peak as it appears not to exist... but does.
Try adding a filter around 10kHz.
Distortion in the treble area is low.

concorde1

That's because the X2HR peaks at 10kHz but Oratory's rig has a dip there so he doesn't filter the 10kHz peak as it appears not to exist... but does.
I see. Looking at Oratory's graph, it appears to be closer to 9.5kHz. So I need to reduce the gain slightly at 9.5kHz, with a peaking filter? Maybe 9500/8500 = 1.12 for the Q value?

concorde1

In fact, instead of lowering 9.5kHz, could I not raise 8.5kHz? That way there's no relative peak at 9.5kHz?

concorde1

Also, does Oratory do the "heavy duty" corrections, but leave more minor FR issues untouched, so that the user can fix them? For example, the X2HR peak at 10k, and my LCD-2F has a large dip at 4.5kHz according to corrected Oratory.

EDIT: github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/crinacle/gras_43ag-7_harman_over-ear_2018/Klipsch%20Heritage%20HP-3/Klipsch%20Heritage%20HP-3.png
shows my compensated Klipsch HP-3 has a dip at 6k and maybe at about 2.7k.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
fr.png

Above 6kHz this is more reliable. There is no 'curve' here. Horizontal = target.

aukje.dirkw

In fact, instead of lowering 9.5kHz, could I not raise 8.5kHz? That way there's no relative peak at 9.5kHz?
Just wondering, did you ever solve the grain on the X2? I have the same problem, tried EQ with my realtek but can't get rid of that pesky grain.

concorde1

Just wondering, did you ever solve the grain on the X2? I have the same problem, tried EQ with my realtek but can't get rid of that pesky grain.
No, I sold them a while back. I didn't know how to fix it. Sounded like distortion to me.

aukje.dirkw

Yeah, I feel the same, even though apparently the measurements show no/low distortion there. EQ'ing the peaks helps with the amplitude but the grain shows up regardless. Really unfortunate, it's the only thing I dislike about them. My X1's don't have this problem, I don't understand how Philips can claim they "improved the treble". Oh well.

aukje.dirkw

Went with the DT990 and I think they are just better than the X2's. When I EQ down their treble I don't get any harshness or grain but nice round sparkly highs. And they have great bass nice soundstage and smooth mids as well. I think they are a keeper for me.

Luke Lemke

I've just listened to the X2 using Oratory1990 EQ (Harman) and I was truly impressed. If you own these, do yourself a favor and try to EQ this thing, it will sound amazing.

edahl

The Hifiman HE400se is in this price range right? I'm guessing it'll make mince meat out of these

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Haven't heard the HD800S yet. X2 has the biggest soundstage i've heard. They are great headphones for the price.

Ufasas

Same here, too sensitive to anything, like a scared fish, lol, that's why i am sitting with AKG k702, that's for those who doesn't like any spikes in frequency range for longer than 1-2 songs, has there something else better than X2hr in this price range and similar design already been released?

spede

Applied oratory1990 to Fidelio X2, helps with bass and treble but something is going on with vocals, not that they were great before. Vocal sibilants get accentuated or they are more perceivable after EQ.

Jimmy

X2 and X2HR are not the same in my experience, and the same EQ presets recommended for the HR, don't work well for the original (mine is an early production unit).

bugivugi

To me as well. My plot represents what I hear and you can see the bass lift there. It is possible to flatten the bass levels and lower the treble withut having to resort to EQ. This improves them a lot. I have better headphones so rarely use them.
1. what, if not a secret?
2. Please tell me, is it possible to use a correcting analog filter on the shp9500 / 9600 in order to smoothen the high frequency, to reduce the dip of ~ 4kHz? can you make it public? interested in the option of mounted installation, so that you can solder the easy one yourself. I don't have enough abilities to solder Kameleon :(.
For me, these Phillips are attractive because they can be used without an amplifier that increases the budget 2-3 times ...

bugivugi

I own a pair of these, as the measurements show they are the only open-back I own that natively has good bass extension, which as an iPhone user is pretty important (no global EQ).

I don’t notice any obvious HF peaking with music, I just did a tone generator and ~ 5100Hz-5400Hz is indeed peaking, above that in frequency though the peaks/dips (and channel imbalances) I hear are different from the measurements here. But like I said, I don’t notice it with music.

I also don’t notice bass distortion, so either I’m not sensitive to it or Amir listens louder than I do (which has been a reoccurring theme); with the Apple dongle DAC (~30mW into 33ohm; ~109dB @ 1kHz if my math is correct), it gets more than loud enough for me (I’m usually 2 clicks from max), if that says anything. I just did a tone generater in the 250Hz-300Hz region and at higher levels I do hear that “Brr” that Amir talks about.

So yeah, FR & distortion measurements match my unit pretty closely, it’s just that I’m not sensitive to it with music, which I’ve known that I don’t have “golden ears” for a while, which I guess can be spun into a blessing :p.

This headphone has had QC issues though, with channel imbalances or during the Black Friday sale some of the units even had the angled drivers put in incorrectly! Luckily it is user fixable. Using a sweep, mine does have imbalances, just not (audibly) to the degree as Amir’s unit, it mainly is the 400Hz-800Hz region where it pulls right, and around 5600Hz-5800Hz where it pulls left, and no large suck out around 9kHz in either channel.

The note about the pads is real, they collect hair and dust like nobody’s business. Clamping force is also a tad much.
I’m waiting to see what high-end open-back headphone I could upgrade to that simply is better in all areas. You’d think one exists, but I’ve yet to find one that follows the Harman curve very well, most have flat response in the bass. My preference is a bit lower in the bass than Harman’s, so they don’t need to be boosted as much, but a flat response is for sure not for me.

EDIT: Or it may be what @GGroch said and the level in the bass isn’t what makes it too much, but the distortion. Not sure.
have you tried shp9500 / 9600?

Top Bottom