• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

PecanPi - Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

orchardaudio

orchardaudio

For those who might be interested, I just started working with Asus to have support on the Tinkerboard. It looks like everything should be finalized before the product ships.

Music1969

For those who might be interested, I just started working with Asus to have support on the Tinkerboard. It looks like everything should be finalized before the product ships.
Very interested What differences or new features does it allow, compared with RPi?

PCM768KHZ/ DSD512 suppport with network input? With suitable DAC design of course.

orchardaudio

Very interested What differences or new features does it allow, compared with RPi?
It has a much more powerful processor is the sum of it.

PecanPi audio performance will not be affected, but if you will be using for something else in addition to audio then it might be worth considering.

Even though it's a much more powerful device because it is not as popular as the Pi it is much more difficult to get support as community is no where near as large.

Also it consumes more power so I will have to offer an upgraded power supply option for those who want to use tinkerboard instead of Rpi. (Still investigating this)

Search Google for Radpberry Pi vs Tinkerboard lots of information available.

orchardaudio

First review / writeup on the PecanPi: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55945-orchard-audio-applepi-and-pecanpi-raspberrypi-dacs/

Some quotes from the writeup:
"I know very well how the SBT and AudioEngine 5+ powered speakers sound, but even as I was being somewhat distracted by enabling this new RPi endpoint in Roon, my focus was immediately drawn to the music when I started up Jean Michel Jarre’s latest “Equinoxe Infinity” (via Tidal). It’s a new reference recording, and I immediately noticed a significant sound quality improvement. Granted the SBT is probably a better streamer than DAC, but holy cow! The stereo imaging on Flying Totems (Movement 2) was outstanding, and the bass much, much tighter. Everything was just better."

"The bass is huge and the imaging is precise. Way better than Ithought possible. I even forgot about wanting to add a subwoofer. My wife even commented on how great it sounded and wants me to now set up something at her office. What just happened?!?"

Last edited:

orchardaudio

Are there existing software solutions for this kind of operation, with good accuracy and no drift over time?
Something like as an AES67 endpoint, or even proprietary solutions?
I randomly came across this:

pos

Patreon Donor
Thank you, but that is unfirtunately not what I am looking for (single RPi playing to several USB soudncard "somewhat" in sync, vs several RPi, each playing a stereo signal in perfect sync with the others)

Are there plans for a networked DAC (doesn't have to be RPi based) that can support DXD and DSD256 rates on ethernet input?
Not at this time.

You can play DSD on the PecanPi just not natively -- it will be converted to PCM by whatever software you are using.