• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PecanPi - Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

Music1969

Major Contributor
For those who might be interested, I just started working with Asus to have support on the Tinkerboard. It looks like everything should be finalized before the product ships.

Very interested What differences or new features does it allow, compared with RPi?

PCM768KHZ/ DSD512 suppport with network input? With suitable DAC design of course.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Very interested What differences or new features does it allow, compared with RPi?
It has a much more powerful processor is the sum of it.

PecanPi audio performance will not be affected, but if you will be using for something else in addition to audio then it might be worth considering.

Even though it's a much more powerful device because it is not as popular as the Pi it is much more difficult to get support as community is no where near as large.

Also it consumes more power so I will have to offer an upgraded power supply option for those who want to use tinkerboard instead of Rpi. (Still investigating this)

Search Google for Radpberry Pi vs Tinkerboard lots of information available.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
First review / writeup on the PecanPi: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55945-orchard-audio-applepi-and-pecanpi-raspberrypi-dacs/

Some quotes from the writeup:
"I know very well how the SBT and AudioEngine 5+ powered speakers sound, but even as I was being somewhat distracted by enabling this new RPi endpoint in Roon, my focus was immediately drawn to the music when I started up Jean Michel Jarre’s latest “Equinoxe Infinity” (via Tidal). It’s a new reference recording, and I immediately noticed a significant sound quality improvement. Granted the SBT is probably a better streamer than DAC, but holy cow! The stereo imaging on Flying Totems (Movement 2) was outstanding, and the bass much, much tighter. Everything was just better."

"The bass is huge and the imaging is precise. Way better than Ithought possible. I even forgot about wanting to add a subwoofer. My wife even commented on how great it sounded and wants me to now set up something at her office. What just happened?!?"

Last edited:
OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company

pos

Forum Donor
Thank you, but that is unfirtunately not what I am looking for (single RPi playing to several USB soudncard "somewhat" in sync, vs several RPi, each playing a stereo signal in perfect sync with the others)

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Are there plans for a networked DAC (doesn't have to be RPi based) that can support DXD and DSD256 rates on ethernet input?
Not at this time.

You can play DSD on the PecanPi just not natively -- it will be converted to PCM by whatever software you are using.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Not at this time.

You can play DSD on the PecanPi just not natively -- it will be converted to PCM by whatever software you are using.

Noted but for DSD purchases I don't want those converted to PCM.

And don't want DXD purchases downsampled.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I have had multiple requests to have a picture of the PecanPi Streamer with something other than a plain white background so that the size of the unit can be more easily visualized.
20190326_191154.jpg

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @orchardaudio

Can it’s headphone output (RCA output with adapter) drive 12 ohm headphones with same specified low distortion ?

And what is the max current output into 12 ohms headphones (planar magnetics), for same low spec’ed distortion?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Please post any measurements that you would like to see and I will try to accommodate, as you know it is not easy to interface the APx525 with the Rpi.

Distortion and current output into 12 ohm headphone load

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Distortion and current output into 12 ohm headphone load
The output impedance for headphone driver is 0.05 ohm.

It should be able to drive 12ohm but not at max volume. The max current out out the headphone amplifier is 2.5Vrms / 16 ohm = 156mArms.

With 12 ohm load you should be able to get to 156mArms * 12 ohm = 1.872V.

The max volume you can have the device set to would be 1.872/2.5 = 0.7488 or -2.51dB.

I can modify the volume control such that the max voltage output would never exceed 1.872V.

Top Bottom