• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC enthusiasts, sanity check my new PC please

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try a little harder
I will try harder. And i will try harder than today, my dude.
9909_b31d_626.jpeg

Tomorrow!

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The mainboard beeps once short, which means everything is ok. I used a tiny PC speaker first, but it's lack of lower frequencies wasn't to my liking. Used one of these old surround speakers and it was as if a veil had been lifted, never before have i heard such a clear beep:
PXL_20230128_144719793.jpgPXL_20230128_144730474.jpg:cool:

Anyway, I removed the GPU and booted headless, looked into my router logs, found it's ip and was able to ping it. Scanned it with nmap and it booted into Windows instead of Debian. Not sure why, two days ago i installed grub and it booted by default into Debian, but since i reset the BIOS it might have something to do with that.

Finally i put the GPU in and it again booted fine, but nothing comes out on DisplayPort or HDMI.

This means three possible problems:
  1. the GPU is broken, i don't have another PC to test it there
  2. something on the mainboard is broken, can't test this either
  3. the PSU is broken, can't test it because the old one is only 350W.
Most likely is number one, so the GPU is going back. :facepalm:

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the meantime i somehow got into the BIOS and operating system once more, but now it's not working again. I suspect it's some incompatibility between the mainboard, CPU, GPU or PSU, maybe some power saving feature that needs to be disabled.

I have now tried to get to the bottom of this for days, probably more than 20 hours. I can't pinpoint the problem and will send everything back.
yaa_gomen_gomen.jpg

Digby

Major Contributor
You see! I told you to go with a 5600G sans GPU and I've been proven right :p:eek:.

P.S sorry for your problems, can't stand it when computer parts don't play nice - this is almost always when changing/upgrading something.

Last edited:
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is sad and disappointing. I know it's just one part or one setting, but there is nothing more that can be done.

Now comes the tedious process of sending it all back to different merchants and then picking different hardware and doing it all over again.:facepalm:

Digby

Major Contributor
I reckon it is the GPU. If it was the PSU it probably wouldn't boot at all, if the MB then you wouldn't be able to run headless. I suppose it could be PCI-E slot, but never heard of problems with that before.

Probably you've checked this ages ago, but is MB set to use GPU rather than IGP in BIOS?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I reckon it is the GPU. If it was the PSU it probably wouldn't boot at all, if the MB then you wouldn't be able to run headless. I suppose it could be PCI-E slot, but never heard of problems with that before.

Probably you've checked this ages ago, but is MB set to use GPU rather than IGP in BIOS?
I also think it's GPU related. Sending everything back is a bit overkill though I can understand the disappointment.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
I'm a bit confused with the term "GPU" as it's being used. Do you have an independent graphic's card (GPU) or are you using the IGP (Integrated Graphic Processor) of the AMD CPU?

Audiomn

Forum Donor
I think other folks may have said this, but grab a better power supply. You won't regret spending a little bit more for upgradability, longevity, and stability.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and there is only one choice, which is PCIe.

@TheBatsEar whose there any message about hardware reset when you menage to get into bios? Did you updated it?
None that i could see, there is no log or last fault state or anything i could see.
I updates the BIOS (UEFI to be precise) before i installed the CPU, this mainboard can be updated from a flash drive without RAM and CPU installed, which btw is a neat feature.

Sending everything back is a bit overkill
What is the alternative if you don't know what the problem is?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a bit confused with the term "GPU" as it's being used. Do you have an independent graphic's card (GPU) or are you using the IGP (Integrated Graphic Processor) of the AMD CPU?
It's an independent graphics card. Neither the mainboard nor the CPU have graphic hardware. Aren't those called GPU?

I think other folks may have said this, but grab a better power supply. You won't regret spending a little bit more for upgradability, longevity, and stability.
220W for the GPU, 65W for the CPU. 550W should be more than enough and it even booted with my old 400W PSU. It also was stable for a few hours of Cyberpunk2077 and Scorn.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@TheBatsEar how did you make it go in bios (what did you do before it) and be poetic in description? I ask as I had PCIe x16 slot problem on same MB (solved with tight securing GPU to case) old case had propetry plastic locks which I removed and used screws. Tho it didn't happen with new case but I didn't changed the GPU a while (probably will when current generation gets mainstream parts and availability is good).
Regarding PSU it's more like 100W CPU + 250W GPU worst case scenario but it's usually mid CPU utilisation when you game. It's how much 12V rail's are really rated and I doubt you have more than 400W on 12V rails which is close enough in worst case scenario. Ideally you want to keep it in 50~70% range (for the sakes of temperatures and buildup).

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what did you do before it
If i knew i would have been able to repeat it. It's possible that there was more than one problem. Again, i tried to debug this problem for probably 20 hours.
I tried everything i could imagine and i can imagine a lot.
shrug2.gif

But thanks for giving so many good suggestions everyone, it is appreciated.

Audiomn

Forum Donor
It's an independent graphics card. Neither the mainboard nor the CPU have graphic hardware. Aren't those called GPU?

220W for the GPU, 65W for the CPU. 550W should be more than enough and it even booted with my old 400W PSU. It also was stable for a few hours of Cyberpunk2077 and Scorn.
It’s not so much the overall wattage, but the tier of power supply. That being said, if you are using it now and it’s working then have at it.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That being said, if you are using it now and it’s working then have at it.
Once the nonworking combination is sent back, i'll order something else. I'll listen to your advice and get a slighty fatter PSU.:)

Audiomn

Forum Donor
Once the nonworking combination is sent back, i'll order something else. I'll listen to your advice and get a slighty fatter PSU.:)
Good call. Grab a higher end Corsair or Seasonic. Tom’s Hardware has good articles about them.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Actually BeQuite PSU with silent wings 3 fan is a good and quiet solution (more so because other brands don't have their fans and generally put in worser and more noisy one's). You don't need a tad more efficient one that costs extra but one with stronger 12 V rails that will give around 500W (600~650 gold 85+% rated) for such CPU+GPU combo or even stronger one if you intend to OC/undervolt.

Digby

Major Contributor
Corsair PSUs (RM range?) don't turn on until about 50% of their rated wattage is reached. They even have noise profile curves for the fan at different RPMs. This would be my choice, because they are very efficient and in a non gaming scenario the fan will be off.

Top Bottom