• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC enthusiasts, sanity check my new PC please

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've have that same Wifi chip, only in a PCI-E slot. Works with linux and works very well. My router is still what now is called WiFi 5 on 5 ghz though this is a 6E card. It works just great. It won't be any bottleneck assuming your router is up to snuff.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha! At least the Wifi is state of the art in this build!:D

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I installed Windows and Linux, even played a few hours of Scorn and Cyberpunk2077 and today the computer doesn't boot any more. The display stays black.
Removed the WLAN, SSD, all USB devices and tried to reset the CMOS, but it's not showing anything on the monitor. In fact, the monitor doesn't even wake from standby.

It's likely not SSD, CPU, MB and RAM, as i see the SSD led blink and the keyboard gets power and NUM lock is on. It's not the display, as it works with my laoptop. It's not the display cable either, i replaced it with a known good one.

WTF?
blini9.jpg

Any ideas how do debug this 1300€ heap of shite?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I installed Windows and Linux, even played a few hours of Scorn and Cyberpunk2077 and today the computer doesn't boot any more. The display stays black.
Removed the WLAN, SSD, all USB devices and tried to reset the CMOS, but it's not showing anything on the monitor. In fact, the monitor doesn't even wake from standby.

It's likely not SSD, CPU, MB and RAM, as i see the SSD led blink and the keyboard gets power and NUM lock is on. It's not the display, as it works with my laoptop. It's not the display cable either, i replaced it with a known good one.

WTF?
View attachment 260494

Do you have a internal motherboard speaker mounted to hear alert beep codes?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
B550M DS3H has an integrated video card - remove your discrete video card and check what it does when the monitor is connected to the internal video card. (assuming you build it as described).

Or, as @digitalfrost said, start from scratch with the board/cpu/cooler/ram then add stuff. Make sure every connection is secure.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a beeper right now, but i'll hook up something tomorrow, any speaker capable of rendering mid tones should do.

B550M DS3H
Only of the CPU has a integrated video card.:confused: My CPU is a Ryzen 5 5600x, this one has no GPU inside.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ouch, yeah, that special case... :(

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your old 1050ti should work. Worth a try given the reliability issues with some AMD GPUs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a beeper right now, but i'll hook up something tomorrow, any speaker capable of rendering mid tones should do.

Only of the CPU has a integrated video card.:confused: My CPU is a Ryzen 5 5600x, this one has no GPU inside.
The post/connector for mounting the speaker/piezo wires is about <5/8" or maybe 1/2" wide in total and the spacing of the pins is tight. You may be better off buying the piezo speaker with the connector and avoid any possibility of shorting out the pins and possibly damaging the motherboard.
z speaker.png

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your old 1050ti should work. Worth a try given the reliability issues with some AMD GPUs.
Already sold, because i'm such a clever boy!
babby_computer_WTF.png

Got 100€ BTW

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
If the PC is working and just the graphics don't you should still be able to ping it when turned on. You should be able to find its IP address somewhere in your router webgui.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the PC is working and just the graphics don't you should still be able to ping it when turned on. You should be able to find its IP address somewhere in your router webgui.
That's a good point, i should see if it continues to boot through grub into Debian, if so i should be able to SSH into it. Noted!

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does your numlock react properly? (goes off when it should?) If it does, the system is almost certainly OK.
For the video card, remove and reinstall, double check the power connectors. Both connected, right?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If that works I want to see

Code:
lspci -v
Will report tomorrow. I have beers to drink and chicken to eat.

Does your numlock react properly? (goes off when it should?) If it does, the system is almost certainly OK.
I don't think it did, it was just on, will verify tomorrow. I have left the mess and moved on to greener pastures (near the fridge with the beverages).

For the video card, remove and reinstall, double check the power connectors. Both connected, right?
Did that. Yes, both connected.
Even tried to boot without the PCI power connectors, but nothing changed except that the GPU lit two white alarm LEDs as it's supposed to.

I'm not on it right now, but bros, your input gives me hope for a better future that hopefully finds me tomorrow.
57923.jpg

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Try a little harder with reseting the CMOS, should beap. It's probably a security CPU future not working properly so update the bios when you get it running. If there still is no VGA output at all (including not possible to enter bios hitting del) try to remove GPU from PCIe slot and slop it in again if it works like that be certain to lock it properly and carry on (it happens).
If not I guess we will continue with this.

Top Bottom