• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

System guidance requested

Matt193

This is my first post here. I decided to join this forum because of the emphasis put on the value of research and information, instead of pseudoscience and opinion, which is a refreshing change!

After losing two pieces of equipment in the past year (AVR and amp), I think it might be time to take a look at my system and possibly do a major overhaul.

I had/have a very modest system that I put together about 12 years ago on a shoestring budget consisting of mostly used gear. It consisted of:

Vandersteen 2ce Signature mains
*Vandersteen VCC-2 center channel speaker
*Jamo C401 surround speakers
Emotiva Ultra 12 subwoofer
**Harman Kardon AVR-257 AVR
**Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 SE Nuforce CD/BR player
Logitech Squeezebox Touch media player
Pioneer PL-530 Turntable
ART DJ Pre II phono preamp

* Not currently used
**Now broken and not in use

I would say that I was mostly content with my system, but never really happy. The main thing keeping me from going any further with it was mostly budget related.

I feel that my main speakers are a bit big or are the wrong choice for my 12’x26’ living room. They are placed along the 26’ wall and I don’t feel that the placement is what it should be to get the most out of them. I do have a sweet spot, albeit a small one, and it would be great if I could have a larger one. They sound alright to my ears, but I feel they are lacking in dynamics, especially without proper amplification, and are just not all that aesthetically pleasing.

A power blip took out my Emotiva XPA-5 about a year ago. It fried some components on the power distribution board and Emotiva didn’t want to look at it. I bought replacement parts for the components that I found damaged and replaced them myself. Unfortunately, it only fixed part of the problem and at that point I gave up. I’d be willing to try and get it fixed if I could find someone who’d be willing to work on it and it would be worth it.

A few days ago my AVR decided it had enough and with a pop and a spark, committed suicide. It was always meant to be a temporary solution when I got it, but ended up in my system for 12 years, except for a short hiatus while I owned an Emotiva UMC-1.

With those two components out of the picture, I feel like it might be a good time to take a look at overhauling my system and putting something together that is more cohesive and works better for my room.

My primary goal is musicality. I do use my system to watch TV and movies, but those duties take second stage to music.

I planned on setting up a 5.1 system using the matching Vandersteen VCC-2 center speaker along with the cheap Jamos for surrounds. I haven’t done this because I was planning to buy a new house and start fresh there. I’ve now been priced out of the market so I’m staying put for the foreseeable future. Since I’m staying for a while, I’d like to either get everything set up or go in a different direction.

I think my needs are pretty basic. I do a lot of casual listening via Pandora on my Squeezebox. When I am in the mood, I'll sit down and either spin a CD in the Oppo or listen to a record. I would like to eventually digitize my CD collection. I know I'm behind the ball on this. My TV was hooked up via optical and my Oppo was via HDMI for movies and RCAs for CDs.

I’m rather frugal with my money so I appreciate finding things that give great bang for the buck. I have no issues with buying used, refurbished, or waiting for the right deal to come along. I don’t really have a budget set; I’d like to see what I would have to spend to get something that’ll achieve my needs instead of conforming to a dollar amount. With that being said, I don’t have a lot to spend at this moment so things will probably have to get replaced in stages.

I haven’t been keeping up with the hobby for quite a long time so I’m not sure what’s new and hot on the market these days. I’ve been doing a lot of reading in the last week and I’m seeing lots of new names and interesting products.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

MAB

Major Contributor
Welcome to ASR!

It seems you are at a crossroads!
You have a working subwoofer, which is great.
You have two or more digital sources and an analog source.

I owned Several old Vandersteen, up to the IIci with a pair of 2W subs.
I have fond memories, they were good speakers, and even better value back in the day. I think they can be easily bested at reasonable cost.

Do you want to do 2-channel or are you still thinking AVR/multi-channel?

In either case, perhaps a pair of moderate self-powered monitors...
An example (among many):
I don't own these but am impressed every time I hear them... With one or two subs, a pair or self-powered speaker from this very competitive market might not cost you much. They can be used with an AVR if you go that way.

Or if you want two-channel they can be used with a DSP preamp, like a MiniDSP Flex (for instance):
Which has balanced and unbalanced versions, has DSP for room correction, crossovers, and subwoofer integration, multiple digital inputs, and and analog input for your phono. And can be had with DIRAC if you want.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if I were you I'd sell the Vandersteens - they have narrow sweet spot by design. Get some active monitors instead.

OP
M

Matt193

Welcome to ASR!

It seems you are at a crossroads!
You have a working subwoofer, which is great.
You have two or more digital sources and an analog source.

I owned Several old Vandersteen, up to the IIci with a pair of 2W subs.
I have fond memories, they were good speakers, and even better value back in the day. I think they can be easily bested at reasonable cost.

Do you want to do 2-channel or are you still thinking AVR/multi-channel?

In either case, perhaps a pair of moderate self-powered monitors...
An example (among many):
I don't own these but am impressed every time I hear them... With one or two subs, a pair or self-powered speaker from this very competitive market might not cost you much. They can be used with an AVR if you go that way.

Or if you want two-channel they can be used with a DSP preamp, like a MiniDSP Flex (for instance):
Which has balanced and unbalanced versions, has DSP for room correction, crossovers, and subwoofer integration, multiple digital inputs, and and analog input for your phono. And can be had with DIRAC if you want.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm really undecided whether I want to stick with a two channel setup or go multichannel. I think I would be ok with strictly a 2.1or 2.2 setup, since that's what I've been using for the last 12 years, but part of me wants surround sound for movies. I guess if I had to choose one, I would choose 2 channel because as I said, I choose music over movies.

The JBL speakers are interesting and seem to be rather impressive. I've never considered a pair of powered monitors before. Do you really think that these speakers can beat my Vandersteens? I have to be honest, they really aren't my cup of tea aesthetically, especially since they are going to be front and center in my living room. I would love to hear them, though.

The MiniDSP Flex is a very interesting piece of equipment. I guess I need to do some research regarding how to implement this in my system and figure out how everything will work together. I'll probably have to get a HDMI switcher or something to handle all of my HDMI sources since my TV doesn't have enough inputs for them. I'm still running a 2009 Panasonic plasma. Did I mention I'm frugal?

Top Bottom