• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Balanced Monitor/Amp controller/preamp

enio nery

preamp2.jpg

anyway, its not balanced but it may interest others who dont need balanced connection. this used to be a luxman input selector that i hacked and turned into a passive preamp by adding a 50k blue velvet.

enio nery

Uh Uh, beware with Acetone, it may be well too aggressive and alters the material underneath.
that would be a bummer but im willing to just paint it over if the unfortunate happens. if i ever buy one.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The Schitt Freya S, a selectable passive/active preamp reviewed here at ASR by Amir last month is an excellent unit, but even for a stepped (relay controlled) attenuator, channel balance was good in passive mode, but a bit off in active mode. LINK
The Topping Pre90 would be an appealing alternative to this Schiit. I don't understand the preference for passive when low-cost, high-performance alternatives are available (and advantageous).

nn_in

I covered this exact subject yesterday here at ASR - stepped attenuators typically yield the best channel balance. You might want to check out the passive preamps from Khozmo, Axiom or Goldpoint (Picture below) and look at reviews of them. The cheaper Nobsound seems to be a good unit, but uses a continuous attenuator, not a stepped one.

LINK to my post...

View attachment 52958
Thank for this thread and responses from folks.
Request guidance .

Using XLR input and output I do need passive/active pre with remote control to work in between Ares2 dac and Power Amp ie PA5 (balanced inputs only).

Iam seeing some impedance issues with some Topping preamps and hence considering Schiit Freya S as a preamp as i don't need dac functionality.Will this work without the impedance issues for Ares2 to Freya S to PA5

In future when prices cool down for purifi amps with XLR inputs i can continue to keep the Ares2 ,Freya in the chain and evaluate the purifi modules .

Anybody using Freya S and PA5

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you still using this / how'd you rate it?

I have not used it in a year or two. No need in my current setup. It worked well and I found it audibly transparent, i.e., it did nothing to the signal other than attenuation. I have no qualms recommending it. I sold mine.

Martin

sonder

I have not used it in a year or two. No need in my current setup. It worked well and I found it audibly transparent, i.e., it did nothing to the signal other than attenuation. I have no qualms recommending it. I sold mine.

Martin
Thank you, trigger pulled on the last one at audiophonics, appreciate the speedy response considering I raised this comment from 3 years ago!

For future people stumbling on this thread, here's a pre90 that's totally transparent:

11375578.jpg

and here's the board in the 256 stepped it's based on a Texas instruments adc board, it's not an ADC device though, it's setup so that an analog potentiometer sends an analog voltage to control the 8-bit ADC0804 controller which opens and closes relays on precision resistors. Two signal paths. I expect it's fully transparent.

passive-xlr-balanced-passive-volume-control-module-with-256-level-relay.jpg

Last edited:

AwdioNoob

In case anyone is still looking (like I was) here's the current one from Audiophonics:

I need to get one of these. However the new build from Audiophonics looks nothing like the old one...should I be weary and track down the older preamp? There're some glowing reviews on 'previous model' whether it's sold as "Nobsound" or "Yisheng Hifi / Haosheng Hifi".

Nobsound/Yisheng Hifi Preamp:
s-l1600.jpg

No Name Preamp:
passive-preamplifier-converter-rca-to-xlr-xlr-to-rca-silver.jpg

... or maybe look into the "Palmer Audio Interface"? One day I'm struggling to find a quality balanced volume control that didn't cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars, now I'm struggling with all these low cost options. :facepalm:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIF8GBG/?th=1

51XPtS8KLPL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

DrSpan

Ended up using that for half a year, can’t be more satisfied, beatiful, smooth and very precise small steps to use and completely transparent, the steps are fine enough that I don’t ever want a potentiometer anymore
Hello there.

Years later, do you still use it? If yes are you still satisfied ?

YSC

Major Contributor
Hello there.

Years later, do you still use it? If yes are you still satisfied ?
yes, very satisified, perfect channel balance for volume control, and 1db -2db steps makes it very precise and it looks great! can't find any reason to "upgrade"

DrSpan

yes, very satisified, perfect channel balance for volume control, and 1db -2db steps makes it very precise and it looks great! can't find any reason to "upgrade"
Thank you.

Just to be clear, we are talking about the Khozmo right?

DrSpan

i s
Yes, it’s basically is a very well made stepped attenuator, likely will survive longer than me
I sincerely wish for you (and for me ) that we live longer than the device then :)

DrSpan

i s
Yes, it’s basically is a very well made stepped attenuator, likely will survive longer than me
I sincerely wish for you (and for me ) that we live longer than the device then :)

That was my hope and my point. Take care my friend

Top Bottom