• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nobsound, shit or great?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't pay a lot for Nobsound products, but they tend to inhabit the budget segment and they sell some very cheap products that may be worth a punt if you are on a tight budget or want stuff to play with, teardown etc. And if you buy from Amazon you have good return options if it isn't what you expected.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From what I've gathered, Douk Audio/Nobsound appears to be some umbrella brand selling a very wide variety of audio equipment, from the cheap and unassuming to the, uh...

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would avoid them. I bought a headphone DAC/amp from them that wildly underperformed it's stated specs. I returned it and suggested they correct their listed specs on AliExpress, to which they agreed. I never got a refund for the return (package may have been lost in transit back to China) and they never updated their listing. That was the last time I bought anything other than cheap IEM cables on AliExpress.

Svperstar

I got my nobsound tube amp for my work desk. It has a vumeter its more of a conversation piece then a serious audio device.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their 35$ passive pre-amp with volume knob and RCA/XLR inputs and outputs called Little Bear MC2 is a no-brainer.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ordered their rca/balanced attenuation Little Bear MC2 and a Topping D10 to run my hopefully coming pair of 705p. Laptop->DAC->preamp. I could just skip the Little Bear MC2 and go all digital attenuation, but I fear the kids might play with the laptop audio controls.

bunnyfuzz

Does anyone have any experience/opinion regarding the Nobsound XLR High Accuracy Relay Volume Control ; Balanced Passive Preamplifier?

Nobsound XLR High Accuracy Relay Volume Control ; Balanced Passive Preamplifier.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Just ordered their rca/balanced attenuation Little Bear MC2 and a Topping D10 to run my hopefully coming pair of 705p. Laptop->DAC->preamp. I could just skip the Little Bear MC2 and go all digital attenuation, but I fear the kids might play with the laptop audio controls.

Have you tried anything that would let you go aes and skip the analog before the speaker completely?

That does expose you to the perils of children's fingers, but wondered if you've tried it.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried anything that would let you go aes and skip the analog before the speaker completely?

That does expose you to the perils of children's fingers, but wondered if you've tried it.

I want a knob for volume. I figure it won't matter much for fidelity. Also I can reuse all the cables I already have. Otherwise I need to get a coax to balanced cable and an adapter to change the impedance, and an active box is even more expensive. Plus I want to be able to experiment with my old speakers, to compare. And the D10 plus ADC conversion will probably be invisible to my ears. Almost certainly invisible.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to laugh at idiots who buy a passive preamp, and then return it and give a one-star rating on Amazon because it doesn't "amplify" the signal. They apparently did not bother to figure out what passive vs active preamplifiers are, and cannot conceive that the prefix "pre" means before. And of course, anyone with a basic understanding or component audio knows that preamplifiers are located before (-pre) the amplifier in the signal chain, and do not necessarily amplify the signal- but rather they do add one or more "features" that can include a volume control, EQ/Tone controls, source switching, and even adding some "gain" for phono or other low-output sources.

The Douk/Nobsound XLR/RCA passive preamplifier seems to be sold around the world and targeted at people with active loudspeakers. No obvious bad reputation like many cheap ChiFi DACs and amps. Higher quality XLR passives start at $400-$500 (such as Khozmo, Axiom and Goldpoint), and go up to thousands of dollars each. I would not hesitate to buy a Douk/Nobsound unit if I needed one - especially from Amazon, where returns are easy.

Superbest AudioFriends.org did a comparison of the Goldpoint and the Nobsound and came to this conclusion:

At 6 dB attenuation very large performance differences are observed. Cable capacitance has a dominating influence on high frequency roll off. Lesson: keep cables short between Passive Attenuator Output and Amplifier Input. Lower capacitance cables provide better performance.

Conclusion: When used with at least 20 dB attenuation and very short, low capacitance cables the Nobsound NS-05P will come close to the performance of Goldpoint SA1X. With attenuations between 1 and 20 dB high frequencies will be diminished as demonstrated above and deteriorate further with higher capacitance cables and longer cable runs.
Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

PS: Nobsound NS-05P specifications on Amazon were updated and now show impedance as 10K. So another was acquired and measured for DC resistance. Unfortunately the unit received measures approximately 50K. My guess is there is a bit of stock to be sold (flushed) before the change takes effect. Unit returned. Buyer beware.
Nobsound Passive Pre XLR.jpg

Nobsound Passive Pre XLR-2.jpg

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Martin - your link doesn't work, but a search quickly finds the review - and tells us that Amir kept the Nobsound XLR switch sans volume control, and "plan to use it to select between active speakers for listening tests."

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Martin - your link doesn't work, but a search quickly finds the review - and tells us that Amir kept the Nobsound XLR switch sans volume control, and "plan to use it to select between active speakers for listening tests."

I fixed it.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered from Nobsound off ebay. They sent me the wrong product, some weird rectangle. Maybe a clock? It was broken and damaged. Asked for a refund and got it right away. No BS at all. I'm going to go pure digital for the time being, since that didn't work out.

My point is, Nobsound is a bullshit free company in my experience. Good for them!

Brab

Brab

Can they be used with two input sources, one XLR, one RCA, one at a time? One supplier says yes, another no. Thanks.
To answer my own question (I hope that's not bad form) now that I have the unit: yes. I tried it this morning, one source at a time, with the other switched off. Got undistorted sound out each time and nothing blew up.

Brab

I have to laugh at idiots who buy a passive preamp, and then return it and give a one-star rating on Amazon because it doesn't "amplify" the signal. They apparently did not bother to figure out what passive vs active preamplifiers are, and cannot conceive that the prefix "pre" means before. And of course, anyone with a basic understanding or component audio knows that preamplifiers are located before (-pre) the amplifier in the signal chain, and do not necessarily amplify the signal- but rather they do add one or more "features" that can include a volume control, EQ/Tone controls, source switching, and even adding some "gain" for phono or other low-output sources.

The Douk/Nobsound XLR/RCA passive preamplifier seems to be sold around the world and targeted at people with active loudspeakers. No obvious bad reputation like many cheap ChiFi DACs and amps. Higher quality XLR passives start at $400-$500 (such as Khozmo, Axiom and Goldpoint), and go up to thousands of dollars each. I would not hesitate to buy a Douk/Nobsound unit if I needed one - especially from Amazon, where returns are easy.

Superbest AudioFriends.org did a comparison of the Goldpoint and the Nobsound and came to this conclusion:

View attachment 52852
View attachment 52853
I tried out this unit a few months ago, and sent it back after a couple of days. It was certainly doing weird things to the frequency response which I suppose subjectively paralleled the objective measurements cited in the review.

Top Bottom