• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Balanced Monitor/Amp controller/preamp

bunnyfuzz

TC Electronic | Level Pilot X

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Catego...sories/LEVEL-PILOT-X/p/P0C32#googtrans(en|en)

LEVEL-PILOT-X_P0C32_Front1_L.png

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are the sellers that have it on Aliexpress. The first link allows you to choose 220V/110V. The second one is 230V by default and requires you to put a note if you need 110V
<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_>
or
<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_>

This is the seller (SanChun) on Taobao. They have some advanced versions with wide band frequency control.
<https://market.m.taobao.com/apps/ma...&_page_home_isweex_=true&useIframeInWeb=false>

Tempting, ;)
That's the kind of gear I was looking for.
The last link is only in Chinese and seems it's fitted for a mobile's web site :rolleyes:

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I would query on the potentiometer resistance for any passive unit. 10K is a good compromise between stressing the source component and minimizing high output impedance from the passive unit. High output impedance will combine with cable and amp input capacitance and roll off top end. Some amps have a shunt capacitor at the input of up to 500pF.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Daverz

Major Contributor
Love all the volume control devices you guys are turning up. But I'd start to consider a DAC with a digital volume control, though with balanced connections that can be $500 (Topping D70). It's the cleanest solution.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I use JRiver on my streamer PC (Baetis Prodigy) and a Drokos USB knob to control the volume in my exaSound e38/II. Works for as many channels as you have.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Love all the volume control devices you guys are turning up. But I'd start to consider a DAC with a digital volume control, though with balanced connections that can be $500 (Topping D70). It's the cleanest solution.
I second this comment. I've subjectively compared my D90 in DAC mode with the Schiit Freya in passive mode as a volume control and the D90 in Pre mode on its own, and I'll give the edge to the built in digital volume of the D90. You get a hair more resolution.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I second this comment. I've subjectively compared my D90 in DAC mode with the Schiit Freya in passive mode as a volume control and the D90 in Pre mode on its own, and I'll give the edge to the built in digital volume of the D90. You get a hair more resolution.

I have the same intention: Use D90 in DAC mode + a preamp with IR. Therefore looking for above alternatives.
I don't need any preamp for other use., but not 100% satisfied with the D90 preamp's function.
"Subjectively" I had more fun with the A22 in preamp mode that I have with the D90 at the moment.
I hope/wonder if adding a preamp (passive or active) would help here.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the same intention: Use D90 in DAC mode + a preamp with IR. Therefore looking for above alternatives.
I don't need any preamp for other use., but not 100% satisfied with the D90 preamp's function.
"Subjectively" I had more fun with the A22 in preamp mode that I have with the D90 at the moment.
I hope/wonder if adding a preamp (passive or active) would help here.

You can try something like a Schiit Freya S or T that will give you 3 different modes and they each sound subjectively different (and measure differently too). In my system, with the Freya S in pre-amp duty it does add an “analog” feeling to the presentation. Even passive mode will have a small amount of it giving you a more “rounded” presentation. I like the Freya S and I’m keeping it for my office system working with the Modius to drive a pair of Genelec 8030C. But overall I still prefer having that extra edge on transparency with the D90 in pre mode.

yamada

If my understanding is correct, DAC output SNR can be worsen by using its preamp functionality due to the device's noise floor even if chip internal digital volume has high enough resolution such as 32bit of ESS chip. I'm not an electric engineer though , I/V conversion part and output buffer and etc has fix noise floor and it deteriorates SNR when chip output (either of volutage or current) is reduced. that's why low-noise-floor analog preamp (it really doesn't matter if it's passive or active) is required to realize SNR above 110db-ish in current modern DAC implementation. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

YSC

Major Contributor
Just ordered a Khozmo passive with basic series 10k option and XLR output, can't wait to see how it performs, I decided to pay extra on the channel balance at large attenuation and it's amazing look, plus no need for extra power supply can minimize cables crawling around my small room

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can it be used with two input sources, one XLR, one RCA, one at a time? One supplier says yes, another no. Thanks.

I'm not sure at all about that.
I had built one of those. The part supplier indicated that it would be one or the other then.
Passion

1624093570690.png

YSC

Major Contributor
Just ordered a Khozmo passive with basic series 10k option and XLR output, can't wait to see how it performs, I decided to pay extra on the channel balance at large attenuation and it's amazing look, plus no need for extra power supply can minimize cables crawling around my small room
Ended up using that for half a year, can’t be more satisfied, beatiful, smooth and very precise small steps to use and completely transparent, the steps are fine enough that I don’t ever want a potentiometer anymore

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Uh Uh, beware with Acetone, it may be well too aggressive and alters the material underneath.

Top Bottom