• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive 3-way crossover recommendations

gags11

Forum Donor
I am converting my DIY speakers from active to passive. Would appreciate if you guys can point me to the right place or brand to get a passive 3-way crossover. I wish I could build it myself, but I’m not an engineer.

It can be anywhere from 300-500hz and 2.5khz-3.5khz range for crossover points. I bought a PRV 3-way crossover, but it is horrible. Not cutting the frequencies and causing resonances. Thanks in advance!

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
This is not possible. There are formulas that work theoretically, but in practice, the frequency response of your drivers in that specific baffle, with the impedance that they have, it will not work. Especially not in a 3-way.

These are not components that just work regardless of other components. They all interact with each other. Any attempt to buy ready-made crossovers will fail.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
This is not possible. There are formulas that work theoretically, but in practice, the frequency response of your drivers in that specific baffle, with the impedance that they have, it will not work. Especially not in a 3-way.

These are not components that just work regardless of other components. They all interact with each other. Any attempt to buy ready-made crossovers will fail.

If I’m understanding this correctly, you are saying that even though I had great results with a simple active analog crossover, this would not be possible with a passive one?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I am saying whatever you do digitally you cannot replicate in analog, because analog filters do not work independent of the load they're given. Unless you have measurements of the single drivers and a good simulation software anything you do with passive components will be guesswork.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
I am saying whatever you do digitally you cannot replicate in analog, because analog filters do not work independent of the load they're given. Unless you have measurements of the single drivers and a good simulation software anything you do with passive components will be guesswork.

Can you point me to a simulation software? I do have measurements of single drivers.

I also have a Focal Crossblock no7 passive crossover, which is very flexible. I have not tried using it yet. I will try to see what I can do with that.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
I'm not recommending them because I agree with @digitalfrost . That said if you're in the US, Parts Express sells assembled off-the-shelf ones. https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-XO3W-375-3K-3-Way-Crossover-375-3-000-Hz-260-150

I kind of figured out the problem, I had bought this PRV crossover from parts express

Reading the details, it seems the midrange crossover is for a 8ohm driver. My ScanSpeak 12mu midrange is a 4ohm driver. And it is the midrange high pass filter behaving incorrectly.

The Dayton mentioned above is also rated for a 8ohm driver, so likely will have the same issue.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Just wanted to report back, success!

I ripped out the PRV crossover, hooked up my Focal Crossblock No7, and viola…. I just needed to invert the tweeter polarity and tweak the levels and crossover points very little. This unit is just so cool, and looks amazing too, see below.

Couldn’t go loud at night since kids are sleeping, but did some horizontal in-room directivity sweeps compared to my KEF R11s with Uniq. Looks great to me.

The DIY speaker is not finished yet, needs some cosmetic work, but it delivers where it counts

DIY project with Focal crossblock no7 crossover
On axis and extreme horizontal 75 degree at around 1 meter

4BE8AEB1-0B6E-4757-9A56-E40BD850B2C2.jpeg

KEF R11 compared in my other room, again 0 and 75 degree horizontal directivity measured in the same manner.

7567DFB5-DBF9-4E41-8655-D243C438507D.png

I will share the details of my DIY speaker drivers and such when I’m done making tgem look pretty.

Here is focal crossover
8825029E-9961-4C88-AB0D-37CE3746B5BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom