• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

TeroS

RAL9010 in a can, nothing special. I did order new case (bottom) for it so I still have the original. The now white side is original front, so Puffin can be reverted to original.
Also, I forgot, I swapped the display-module to this more white color. A bit of PITA to de-solder but it worked out just fine with some patience.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I discovered that the Azimuth adjustment varied with the "Lo Cut" frequency setting. Using a higher setting allows a much more accurate evaluation of the actual crosstalk.
By this I managed to adjust my Azimuth to get -35 and -36db crosstalk. The ATOC9ML/II I use has a spec of 31db separation!!

1660029651759.png

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Settings for Pickup test in Puffin. Assuming(/using constant velocity characteristic test record above 1kHz .
1660762406160.png

1660762561869.png

1660762609807.png

Result in REW. Calibraion file is made from a Generator log sweep file in REW, It makes the spectrum plot horizontal like a RTA plot would be
1660763826551.png

Attachments

• 1660762652478.png
    1660762652478.png
    313.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

cgallery

So what is the hottest cartridge that can be run on this unit without expecting the input to overload? Anyone run with higher output older Shure cartridges, like the old M75 (around 6mv at 5cm/sec iirc)?

Or is that asking for trouble?

Not that I'd do this but has anyone considered reversing direction on a step-up transformer?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So what is the hottest cartridge that can be run on this unit without expecting the input to overload? Anyone run with higher output older Shure cartridges, like the old M75 (around 6mv at 5cm/sec iirc)?

Not that I'd do this but has anyone considered reversing direction on a step-up transformer?

You can adjust the gain as much as you want, so it can actually take a normal line level signal at zero gain. I run my MM's around 40, my MC around 60, but could reduce either -1dB at a time until I was happy. It also gives you a little '*' marker when there is an overload so you can keep track of it with different records, etc.

It isn't a preset number.

cgallery

You can adjust the gain as much as you want, so it can actually take a normal line level signal at zero gain. I run my MM's around 40, my MC around 60, but could reduce either -1dB at a time until I was happy. It also gives you a little '*' marker when there is an overload so you can keep track of it with different records, etc.

It isn't a preset number.

So I guess I misunderstood the review's comments on headroom. Are there any steps that can be taken to maximize headroom when using a phono cartridge? Or am I worrying about nothing?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So I guess I misunderstood the review's comments on headroom. Are there any steps that can be taken to maximize headroom when using a phono cartridge? Or am I worrying about nothing?

You can adjust gain until it just overloads (as indicated by the '*'), then back off. The ability to play with it on the fly is useful for that. It shows peak and average signal levels, so you can see what direction you need to go and how much room you have to work with. It let's you adjust for records that may be long and low, or sizzling hot.
You may be worrying about nothing. It's a fun little box.

cgallery

You can adjust gain until it just overloads (as indicated by the '*'), then back off. The ability to play with it on the fly is useful for that. It shows peak and average signal levels, so you can see what direction you need to go and how much room you have to work with. It let's you adjust for records that may be long and low, or sizzling hot.
You may be worrying about nothing. It's a fun little box.

Okay thank you for your help, yeah a huge misunderstanding on my part. (Not unusual.)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Okay thank you for your help, yeah a huge misunderstanding on my part. (Not unusual.)

It isn't clear at all, and takes a little real world use sometimes to get a feel for this type of thing.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor

Overload is no problem in my case, just adjust the gain to a suitable level, I have 0.4mV cart and with 61db gain it is load enough and never clips/ overloads. There is a overload detector to aid you.

TeroS

One of my cartridges is Ortofon Concorde Club MkII, it pushes out 8mV. Puffin has no issues whatsoever, on the contrary, it have never sounded that good.

cgallery

One of my cartridges is Ortofon Concorde Club MkII, it pushes out 8mV. Puffin has no issues whatsoever, on the contrary, it have never sounded that good.

Hi. Where do you set the gain on the Puffin for your Ortofon Concorde Club MkII?

chingaling

I've spent the past two weeks reviewing phono preamps for my first turntable and came across this thread. Like always this forum never dissapoints.

My main question is the analog vs the toslink, is it necessary to pay up for the toslink output? I'm going to be feeding this into a Mini DSP SHD I have the analog inputs and the toslink available. The computer is connected through the spdif. I use all the room correction and PEQ through Dirac live but am interested in some of the Puffins other functions. Basically I don't want to pay more than I need to if I'm going to get the same SQ either way. Everything is racked so there won't be any long cable runs either.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I've spent the past two weeks reviewing phono preamps for my first turntable and came across this thread. Like always this forum never dissapoints.

My main question is the analog vs the toslink, is it necessary to pay up for the toslink output? I'm going to be feeding this into a Mini DSP SHD I have the analog inputs and the toslink available. The computer is connected through the spdif. I use all the room correction and PEQ through Dirac live but am interested in some of the Puffins other functions. Basically I don't want to pay more than I need to if I'm going to get the same SQ either way. Everything is racked so there won't be any long cable runs either.

I haven't noticed any sound quality difference when using digital vs analog out.

There is also a DIY modification available to add the spdif output yourself at a future time if you find you have a reason to do so. I think the instructions are available on the site. There is a Puffin that is being passed around between forum members, and one of them added the digital output while he had it, and it wasn't a big deal.

chingaling

I haven't noticed any sound quality difference when using digital vs analog out.

There is also a DIY modification available to add the spdif output yourself at a future time if you find you have a reason to do so. I think the instructions are available on the site. There is a Puffin that is being passed around between forum members, and one of them added the digital output while he had it, and it wasn't a big deal.
It would be handy to have the option of digital out. If I do wind up purchasing it I'd probably just cough up the extra 150 for the added flexibility. It just seems like a big up charge. IDK

chingaling

The new Puffins are a breeze to do the DIY digital addition. I did mine with a coax connector and it was a piece of cake. Very nice of Shannon to provide info on how to do this:

Link below. In the right pane, click on "see more" for the entire process.

Wow, that is amazing they share that information. That is something I defiantly can handle on my own.

Reactions: GPJ
Top Bottom