• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Effect of Puffin Air set to -3 on a pickup
............................1kHz....................................................................................................................................................................................................................10kHz......................................................20kHz
1672155378216.png

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Nice to see that my suggestion for improved Azimuth check is included!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question—can the Puffin be used without RIAA equalization and preamplification, and would it accept a line level source? I have a turntable with a built in phono preamp that cannot be bypassed, but I could still use a lot of functionality of the Puffin.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Question—can the Puffin be used without RIAA equalization and preamplification, and would it accept a line level source? I have a turntable with a built in phono preamp that cannot be bypassed, but I could still use a lot of functionality of the Puffin.

Yes.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Optimising gain, here is the crescendo at the end of Dire Straits Telegraph Road,

62db on AT33PTG/ii . So in practice Puffin do not clip even with 62 db gain , headroom is not an issue here.

C5DC3D31-A626-4A61-8218-AC5DD10FDCF2.jpeg

Last edited:

multisport4me

I'm late to the party but finally picked up a Puffin with SPDIF output from a great seller on usaudiomart that is literally like new. I've loaded up the 1.50b beta and could not stop listening to records for 4 straight hours. What a fun box this thing is! I have an AT150MLX MM, DL-301MKII and DL-A110 MC cartridges and they all sound great through this thing and my Denon DP59L turntable. The SPDIF output is nice as I can feed it into my DMP-A6 and its wonderful DAC or straight into my Marantz AV10.

One question I have is if there is way to name the user presets? It would be cool to name them for each cartridge I have. Also, can I assume tilt is now warmth?

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Lovely and technically superb turntable you got!!!

Ys tilt is earmth. Not sure How to rename User1.2.3.4 Ask Shannon Parks

mash

I'm really glad they are updating the Puffin (I own one and love it). I like the new form factor, std digital outs, and moving to a phone interface is a great idea.....but, I would have also liked to see them make some hardware/performance improvements. Sounds like these weren't addressed with the Waxwing. If so, doubt that I would upgrade, although I'll still recommend the new box to others.

multisport4me

I love my Puffin but couldn't help but buy the Waxwing as I like the formfactor and Shannon has his $hit together. Personally, I only use my Puffin as an ADC so I can use it with any DAC but the DSP functions make the thing a dream for those of us with both MC and MM cartridges.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm really glad they are updating the Puffin (I own one and love it). I like the new form factor, std digital outs, and moving to a phone interface is a great idea.....but, I would have also liked to see them make some hardware/performance improvements. Sounds like these weren't addressed with the Waxwing. If so, doubt that I would upgrade, although I'll still recommend the new box to others.
I've been interested in these for ages and now tempted by the waxwing. But I'm wondering what are the hardware/performance improvements that are needed?

Top Bottom