• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

mash

Better distortion numbers and more headroom…… granted that it’s debatable how much actual audible improvement would result but would have liked to see it improve in these areas. That said, the improvements in the physical form factor (don’t really care) and the app based control (nice enhancement) definitely improved the product.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
MEDIA=youtube]3kr_x26E5eE[/MEDIA]
It would be interesting to se some measurements of this thing to see the actual affect…

If Parks Audio could incorporate a crosstalk cancellation feature in the new Waxwing it would be even better

morillon

Major Contributor
It would be interesting to se some measurements of this thing to see the actual affect…

If Parks Audio could incorporate a crosstalk cancellation feature in the new Waxwing it would be even better
They especially have a serious problem with flutter..:oops:

SteveC

One nice thing about the Waxwing is not having to open up the box to do firmware updates. I'm also very intrigued about the new application. I doubt it will sound better (and no claims are being made that it will) but it will make it easier to set up and run. That being said I still love my original!

morillon

Major Contributor
listen ... ;-)
(We must not forget that most of the test and adjustment aid discs were designed to be used... with, often, one's ears... because they were the means of measurement for the general public)

Last edited:

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
listen ... ;-)
(We must not forget that most of the test and adjustment aid discs were designed to be used... with, often, one's ears... because they were the means of measurement for the general public)
Still do not understand your Flutter comment

mash

Even if you could adjust compensate for Azimuth issues electronically (post turntable)...is that the correct way to do it? i.e., if your stylus is out of alignment with the groove are you potentially causing damage to your records? Seems to me it would be better to fix the azimuth issue at the source (even if it involves shims) then to cover it up post pickup.

morillon

Major Contributor
for mesureaments a cheap sound card, even second-hand, and a decent prephono, or a card with a mm phono input...software like multitones from pkane , free, (or virtins pro) or for certain specific functions your shared python projects...offer much more for cheap... I don't understand
Still do not understand your Flutter comment

just we can heard many flutter in this test in the video... astonishing...:confused:

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
a cheap sound card, even second-hand, and a decent prephono, or a card with a mm phono input...software like multitones from pkane (or virtins pro) or for certain specific functions your shared python projects...offer much more for cheap... I don't understand
That presupposes a computer of some sort connected to the hifi as well as the skills to collect, install and use the necessary software - not everybody wants that, or is even capable of it. The Puffin and Waxwing put a lot of functionality in a single relatively simple box and apparently 'Just Work'. For some that makes it a good buy. They are the target market, not you.

morillon

Major Contributor
I don't know anything about your arguments.. ;-)
but I also think that it is also essentially due to a lack of information, putting forward these rather simple and excessively more complete and powerful solutions..but which brings almost nothing to the filliaire bisness audiophile...
(the performance needs on the hardware side being limited given the vinyl characteristics)
(I was talking about the measurement skills...not the prephono part via dsp etc, in reaction to this hardware box "for crosstalk" etc )

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Regarding the Flutter you hear..There will always be audible wow and flutter on a test record, on digital generated tones I can hear “ wobblyness” of 0.01% in 1000hz. The lower limit on test record are often stated to be 0.05% W&F.
But that does not make “crosstalk correction “ less attractive or a problem.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor

The turntable runs 3% too slow and has about 0.3% wow!!!
1697747089180.png

morillon

Major Contributor
but if this box just for crosstalk (seems hardly precise) is worth 20/30 dollars ( kit diy?)..let's admit...

( and in these conditions how can we give a little legitimacy to the actors in this video :oops:)

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The mobile app, though usable, is not very polished or attractive from a GUI perspective.

Top Bottom