• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

zuker81

I just received my Waxwing, really lovely product. The iOS app at least is perfectly serviceable, albeit function over form, which is my preference any day. Definitely far beyond an "MVP" level release. We have to remember this is not a large corporation with dozens of product managers and UI/UX designers (who currently are responsible for many of the poorly measuring and clunky products we see reviewed on ASR all the time).

After plugging in the Waxwing, I launched the app for the first time and gave it bluetooth access, and within what seemed to be less than 2 seconds it had found and connected to the Waxwing without any cajoling. My phone can't even connect to its known Apple bluetooth accessories that fast half of the time. Sitting in the comfort of my listening position I could play and toggle with 25 different settings. Shannon has done a great job

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I just ordered one.
Have high hopes for it
We shall see

I doubt you will be disappointed. I was one of the original 20 orders - the Beta tester group. I identified a couple of bugs in the App and reported back to Shannon. The issues were confirmed and fixed within a week or so in each case. Both were minor bugs, not show-stoppers, but the speed at which addressed still amazes me when I think about it.

The product is versatile and unique at its price point. Shannon deserves a lot of praise for his efforts - very well done!

Middle Earth

I doubt you will be disappointed. I was one of the original 20 orders - the Beta tester group. I identified a couple of bugs in the App and reported back to Shannon. The issues were confirmed and fixed within a week or so in each case. Both were minor bugs, not show-stoppers, but the speed at which addressed still amazes me when I think about it.

The product is versatile and unique at its price point. Shannon deserves a lot of praise for his efforts - very well done!
Thank you for doing that.
I recently found out about it a saw that the first 20 owners were getting a version that might need some attention. I am glad you were one of the first 20 and actually were able to improve the Waxwing.
I find Shannon to be an excellent human being.
I read as many owner reviews as I could find.
Users are well pleased.
The Waxwing seems to be an incredible phono preamp and it is no surprise, as well, that the Puffin is fetching top dollar on the used market If you can find one.
I prefer the Waxwing case layout.
Thank you for your response
John

Snoopy

Major Contributor
How is the waxwing with MM and MC cartridges? Are there limitations? How is the „magic“ filter working that removes crackles and pops? I feel like there is no way around a device like this with the quality of new vinyl these days.

I have plenty of vintage LPs that sound absolutely amazing but on new vinyl it seems it’s very difficult to get „perfect“ quality without returning multiple copies.

Running a SL1500C with a AT VM95ML and I see a VM740ML or VM750SH as a future upgrade.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
How is the waxwing with MM and MC cartridges? Are there limitations? How is the „magic“ filter working that removes crackles and pops? I feel like there is no way around a device like this with the quality of new vinyl these days.

I have plenty of vintage LPs that sound absolutely amazing but on new vinyl it seems it’s very difficult to get „perfect“ quality without returning multiple copies.

Running a SL1500C with a AT VM95ML and I see a VM740ML or VM750SH as a future upgrade.
The gain range of the Waxwing plays well with most cartridges - very adjustable from -4 db to 72 db in 1 db increments. I originally had a problem with only 2 loads available - 47K or 200 ohms, however, I don’t see a problem with this anymore. The notion that moving coils needed the correct “load” to have the best sound may have been a myth. Even Stereophile recently admitted this. I have tried moving coils from .25 mv, .35mv, and .5mv outputs with equal success. The moving magnets tried were both 3.5mv output - no issues. I did try the Magic function with a record with some “scratches”. The result was less noticeable pops and clicks, still there but not as objectionable - works as advertised. Cartridges used below.

Lyra Parnassus - 0.25 mv
Denon 103 - 0.35 mv
Hana SL - 0.5 mv
CA Maestro 2 - 3.5 mv
AT VM95SH - 3.5 mv

SteveC

I have a Puffin but the audio circuit is the same as the Waxwing. The Puffin works great with MM, MC, and IM cartridges. Gain is continuously variable and there's plenty of it. It is dead quiet. There are only two choices for the load, either 47K or 200 ohms. The built in tone control gives you an easy way to make changes to sound. The Magic filter works, but in my opinion is no substitute for a really good cleaning. The Super Mono feature is amazing, but again will only go so far. Let's face it, you can only do so much with a really rough record. I should also mention that, while I have found that it works just fine with my MC carts straight in, I still have a preference for the sound of MC's through a SUT. Putting my Bob's Devices SUT in, setting the load to 47K, and the gain to 30dB, works great! FYI I have a VM740ML in my stable of cartridges and it gets regular use. MM's have their own magic! Just a different flavor than MC's.

All of this is in my humble opinion, of course. I hope it helps!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
@I have a Puffin but the audio circuit is the same as the Waxwing. The Puffin works great with MM, MC, and IM cartridges. Gain is continuously variable and there's plenty of it. It is dead quiet. There are only two choices for the load, either 47K or 200 ohms. The built in tone control gives you an easy way to make changes to sound. The Magic filter works, but in my opinion is no substitute for a really good cleaning. The Super Mono feature is amazing, but again will only go so far. Let's face it, you can only do so much with a really rough record. I should also mention that, while I have found that it works just fine with my MC carts straight in, I still have a preference for the sound of MC's through a SUT. Putting my Bob's Devices SUT in, setting the load to 47K, and the gain to 30dB, works great! FYI I have a VM740ML in my stable of cartridges and it gets regular use. MM's have their own magic! Just a different flavor than MC's.

All of this is in my humble opinion, of course. I hope it helps!

thanks. using a SUT with the waxwing would also be option correct?
so far I purchased around 8 modern LP issues and I returned 4. im torn between getting a waxwing to fix at least the most annoying issues or just stick with vintage LPs and audiophile jazz issues , because they have been mostly fine. but all my vintage Japanese pressings from JVC or Polydor basically are on another level even compared to new 180g LPs from blue note and others like that.
out of 30 Japanese vintage LPs I have maybe 2 that Im not happy with but they are still not horrible. (under 10 euro stuff that is 45 years old)

the hackney diamonds LP from GZ in Europe is warped like a 8. sure the waxwing won't be fixing that, but maybe it does its "magic" with minor issues. :)

thanks for the feedback @Bob from Florida and @SteveC

SteveC

thanks. using a SUT with the waxwing would also be option correct?
so far I purchased around 8 modern LP issues and I returned 4. im torn between getting a waxwing to fix at least the most annoying issues or just stick with vintage LPs and audiophile jazz issues , because they have been mostly fine. but all my vintage Japanese pressings from JVC or Polydor basically are on another level even compared to new 180g LPs from blue note and others like that.
out of 30 Japanese vintage LPs I have maybe 2 that Im not happy with but they are still not horrible. (under 10 euro stuff that is 45 years old)

the hackney diamonds LP from GZ in Europe is warped like a 8. sure the waxwing won't be fixing that, but maybe it does its "magic" with minor issues. :)

thanks for the feedback @Bob from Florida and @SteveC
Yes, you can use a SUT with the Waxwing, no problem at all. Just adjust the gain to an appropriate level. In my case that is 30dB, but might need to be higher or lower with your system and the SUT you use. FYI I haven't bought any vinyl, new or used, in years. I have enough not-yet-played LPs to keep me going, probably for the rest of my life. I was also frustrated with the growing price of LPs, and the ongoing problem flawed pressings. Would I like to own the Mo-Fi reissue of Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy? Heck yeah. But when I have a couple of mint originals, and a fine sounding CD, I'm no longer willing to pay $60 for what might be a marginally better version, that might also be a less than perfect pressing. It's not worth the frustration.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
does the waxwing app work on iPhone, iPad ? if yes it should also work on a M1 MacBook :) that would be great. I just saw the waxwing is 499 USD and it's possible to pay shipping and import fees at amazon US during the checkout process. that would be another 140 USD. but still seems like a pretty good option compared to other phono stages in that price range. :) and it would be hassle free to order through amazon.

what's really frustrating is that my 40 year old used records that probably had multiple owners and where most likely used with pretty simple cartridges sound way better than most new 180g LPs costing 2x or 3x times as much. I basically did setup my turntable over and over from scratch and double and triple checking everything only to accept that its defiantly the new LPs that suck.

(sure a few new LPs sound absolutely amazing.. but I feel more confident buying used VG+ vintage pressing over a audiophile reissue for 40-50 bucks)

SteveC

What is your SUT gain? I use gain 36 with a 26dB SUT, the out level is the same as. 61dbgain at 200ohm with no SUT
1:10 or 1:20. I adjust for the minimum amount of noise. I find that the best setting for my taste is to keep the gain in the phono section (either straight into the Puffin or into the SUT plus Puffin) low, and cranking up the Benchmark preamp to get the desired output. When I set it up this way I get the lowest amount of noise. I see that I have neglected to say that I run the digital signal out of the Puffin via S/PDIF to my Benchmark DAC3-B for digital to analog conversion.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Puffing is great, I sure Toslink to me digital preamp, I found an optimal placement and have -82db on the display at 61db gain and LO cut at 20hz. I have a low gain power amp and cannot even tell if my Puffin/Vinyl is on or not when I put my ear 2” from the speaker drivers

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
does the waxwing app work on iPhone, iPad ? if yes it should also work on a M1 MacBook :) that would be great. I just saw the waxwing is 499 USD and it's possible to pay shipping and import fees at amazon US during the checkout process. that would be another 140 USD. but still seems like a pretty good option compared to other phono stages in that price range. :) and it would be hassle free to order through amazon.

what's really frustrating is that my 40 year old used records that probably had multiple owners and where most likely used with pretty simple cartridges sound way better than most new 180g LPs costing 2x or 3x times as much. I basically did setup my turntable over and over from scratch and double and triple checking everything only to accept that its defiantly the new LPs that suck.

(sure a few new LPs sound absolutely amazing.. but I feel more confident buying used VG+ vintage pressing over a audiophile reissue for 40-50 bucks)

App available for IOS and Android. Pick one device as the controller. Using 2 - as I found out - creates some control challenges when you save and restore settings. It has 24 memories and I found it best to use one device. When I was using the iPad and iPhone I would not always get the settings I expected. Dedicating one device solved that.

multisport4me

It’s ugly. For the nested settings, it’s confusing.
His programming is focused precisely on what's most important - the DSP. I'd rather he keep the development cost focused on that vs. a prettier iOS/Android app that is already stupid-dumb easy to use and does the job nicely to manage the unit's settings.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
His programming is focused precisely on what's most important - the DSP. I'd rather he keep the development cost focused on that vs. a prettier iOS/Android app that is already stupid-dumb easy to use and does the job nicely to manage the unit's settings.
I’ve messed around with it and hopefully at some point he is able to improve the gui. The hardware deserves software commensurate with its caliber. It’s usable, but the hardware deserves better.

Last edited:

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
So you want “modern» GUI with oversized icons , pale poor contrast colour choices that sucks, click and confirm“ are you really sure you want to increase gain? “ Questions, un- discoverable search fields. And the need to click 24 times and a user account to change volume?

Top Bottom