• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

morgul

I wonder if a Puffin is for my Stanton st150 and it's original cartridge :rolleyes:

win

morgul

Because I don't even know what's the cartridge, so is it really a good idea to spend almost 800$ including shipping, taxes, toslink output and a get an audio interface with a toslink input ?

Reactions: win

P_M

Most likely it’s a standard MM cartridge which any preamp can handle.
But regardless Figure out what cart(ridge) it is because if the stylus is shot you will need to know anyway. Can you post a pic of the cartridge?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I wonder if a Puffin is for my Stanton st150 and it's original cartridge :rolleyes:
I'd probably get Art DJ Pre for that. Puffin is for versatility with lots of expensive carts, especially MC. Up to you though. The noise filter is pretty cool with old worn records.

morgul

What I'm wondering is a Puffin worth its cost to play mostly recent recordings ?

P_M

Yes, but I can't stand its design for sure :p
Have you looked at Parasound Zphono USB ?
I think Project also has a usb phono pre - Box S2 or something.
If you don’t need usb then Emotiva XPS-1 and Cambridge Audio Solo or Duo are better options then Schiit Mani in my opinion.

morgul

@watchnerd dunno, it felt like the Puffin is more for playing old vinyl records from the attic ;)
@P_M I need usb also but from i've read the best is a dedicated usb audio interface.
There is also the rega fono mini a2d which even has usb output, I guess that'd be more reasonable.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
@watchnerd dunno, it felt like the Puffin is more for playing old vinyl records from the attic ;)

Oh, you mean old pressings, not old recordings....

I've used the Puffin on both old and new pressings, old and new recordings, and it is an accurate phono stage, with superb RIAA, and loads of features, on all of them.

P_M

Ideally yes if you want make high quality no-compromise masters or one time digitize your collection then you want a high performing ADC and a great sounding standalone phono stage. The puffin has been getting rave reviews so if you can get over the looks then it would work out great. You dont have to look at it though.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ideally yes if you want make high quality no-compromise masters or one time digitize your collection then you want a high performing ADC and a great sounding standalone phono stage. The puffin has been getting rave reviews so if you can get over the looks then it would work out great. You dont have to look at it though.
IME digitising the cartridge output then applying RIAA correction in software gives a quieter and more accurate output than an analogue phono stage.

IE comparing a Goldmund PH2 phono stage into a Metric Halo ADC was not better than the phono stage in my Devialet amp and the Goldmund PH2 into the Devialet analogue input sounded fine but seemed pointless.
Anyway i gave up ripping LPs anyway and just play the LP itself if i want to listen to it :)

P_M

My only problem with the puffin would be the low dynamic range. Its ok even marginal for maybe 16-bit. But for making high-resolution copies (96khz 24bit) I dont think its up to the task. For that you do need a phono stage with a lot of dynamic range (see aamir's chart in the first post where puffin lands in this regard as compared to others). And, also, a adc with high enob (effective number of bits - no point in doing a 24bit recording if the phono stage or adc can barely resolve 14-16 bits).

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My only problem with the puffin would be the low dynamic range. Its ok even marginal for maybe 16-bit. But for making high-resolution copies (96khz 24bit) I dont think its up to the task. For that you do need a phono stage with a lot of dynamic range (see aamir's chart in the first post where puffin lands in this regard as compared to others). And, also, a adc with high enob (effective number of bits - no point in doing a 24bit recording if the phono stage or adc can barely resolve 14-16 bits).
But what is the point in a 24-bit recording of a medium with a DR of 11-bit at maximum?

P_M

I don’t think it’s that low across the whole spectrum. If you ever saw a fft spectrum of a quiet groove on a good turntable with a good stylus you will see that from midrange through high frequencies the dynamic range on a record is actually pretty good. Sure not as great as 24bit. It just gets badly dinged in the low (less than 200Hz) due to rumble and physical noise. Btw, the purpose of doing a high Rez copy is to avoid too much resampling in the master copy,
You can resample and compress to your hearts content for copies from the master.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don’t think it’s that low across the whole spectrum. If you ever saw a fft spectrum of a quiet groove on a good turntable with a good stylus you will see that from midrange through high frequencies the dynamic range on a record is actually pretty good. Sure not as great as 24bit. It just gets badly dinged in the low (less than 200Hz) due to rumble and physical noise. Btw, the purpose of doing a high Rez copy is to avoid too much resampling in the master copy,
You can resample and compress to your hearts content for copies from the master.

Point me to a record with 96 dB dynamic range please.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think it’s that low across the whole spectrum.
I think it is that low over the best part of the spectrum. At higher frequencies it is not as much as 11-bit because of the problem of cutting high levels at high frequencies.
At low frequencies there can be a lot of spurious signal below 2x the arm/cartridge resonance because of the way the transducer works, though a well engineered phono stage will filter that out The best reason to use a phono stage before the ADC if one so desires.

Top Bottom