• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The whole purpose of the hobby/enthusiasm is sound that is 100% in the analog domain.
In my case, it’s listening to records of my youth. And seeing that I now have active speakers, I would be very happy with the Puffin. The sooner the signal is in the digital domain, the cleaner the transmission between the components. Unfortunately, the Puffin is not easily available in Europe.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand though why anyone would use this as a phono preamp ?... Doesn't it defeat the whole purpose as it converts analog to digital before output ?

If the "whole purpose" is to play records, then no.

Besides, a good system requires A/D conversion somewhere downstream of the needle for room correction anyway.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I think I figured out how to measure a cartridge response.

1. Test record track with CONSTANT VELOCITY=linear =no RIAA compensatiion. A cartridge will give constant signal (voltage amplitude) from this
2. Record needle WITHOUT RIAA . Puffing Line IN, gain 70db.
3. Plot in CoolEditPro/Audacity/Adobe audition and plot. Import wav file to REW for different plot options

This gives the cartridge response without disturbance from RIAA stage errors

My test record is "Ortofon Pickup Test record, Signal and Music". Track1-3 Linear white noise. Not sure how flat/correct it is...
RIAA Parks Audio Puffin, Cart:AT OC9ML/II (from 2005.. new in Box)..

First a comparison of flat(line in) and RIAA compensation through Puffin. 70db gain load 200 ohm-
c2.JPG

And flat cart response( no RIAA, but Line in setting on Puffin) with 0 3 6 air setting. imported and plotted in REW with 1/12th smoothing
Capture.JPG

Same file/data plotted in CoolEditPro
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My test record is "Ortofon Pickup Test record, Signal and Music". Track1-3 Linear white noise. Not sure how flat/correct it is...

I don't think it's white noise.

According to the track listing, it's a sweep.

Also, the Ortofon test record is cut with RIAA built-in, so should be used with RIAA-on, so I'm a bit confused by the process you list above.

In contrast, STR-100 is a no-RIAA disk and should be used without RIAA.

If you want to graph a transfer, wouldn't it be easier to use a non-RIAA test disk and change the Puffin to Line input?

At least that's what I did....

Last edited:

cochlea

Forum Donor
My mom just gave me her rather extensive collection of jazz records from the ‘50’s and ‘60’s, the majority which are mono recordings. I have set the mode on my Puffin to mono and turned on magic, but I’m wondering if there are any other settings that would be helpful. Also, is my 2MM Bronze cartridge the best choice for mono? Thanks.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My mom just gave me her rather extensive collection of jazz records from the ‘50’s and ‘60’s, the majority which are mono recordings. I have set the mode on my Puffin to mono and turned on magic, but I’m wondering if there are any other settings that would be helpful. Also, is my 2MM Bronze cartridge the best choice for mono? Thanks.

In theory, a true mono cartridge is better.

I have one.

In practice, I never bother to use it because it's just not worth the hassle to install it compared to just using the mono switch on any phono stage I'm using.

Some might also argue that a conical stylus is more appropriate, but I wouldn't worry about that, either, unless you plan to make a dedicated hobby out of listening to deep groove mono.

@cochlea what labels are they, i.e. Blue Note, Verve, Riverside, Columbia, etc?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
FWIW (@watchnerd, you know this, but other folks may not):
True mono = no vertical compliance.
Pre stereo-era mono was cut with groove "modulation" in only one dimension (lateral).
Of course, stereo changed all that, and to play a stereo record requires compliance of the stylus/cantilever assembly in two dimensions.

1612312000513.png

source: https://www.ortofon.com/hifi/cartridges-ranges/true-mono/

This is why very stereo album jackets sometimes (if not often) include warnings not to play them with mono cartridges. A "true mono" cartridge will damage a stereo record.

Eventually, mono records (i.e., the masters) started to be cut using stereo lathes, and "modern" mono records are, in essence, stereo records but with exactly the same information encoded for both stereo channels.

Similarly (perhaps paradoxically so), many "modern" mono hifi cartridges are (essentially) stereo cartridges with the two channels paralleled and thus have both vertical & lateral compliance.

But, there are still true mono cartridges (e.g., from Ortofon, per the link above).

So much to worry about...

;)

JP

Major Contributor

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A true mono recording cut in stereo will still yield a cutting with only horizontal movements. Out of phase signal in the two channels results in vertical movement of the cutting. (The reason why bass is mixed to the centre in stereo, otherwise bass notes would bounce the stylus out of the groove.)
Reducing the compliance of the cartridge in the vertical direction might be helpful in managing warped records, as one could tune the arm’s vertical resonance differently to the horizontal. But, in principle, a stereo cartridge will recover exactly the same signal as a mono one.

cochlea

Forum Donor
Columbia, RCA Victor,
In theory, a true mono cartridge is better.

I have one.

In practice, I never bother to use it because it's just not worth the hassle to install it compared to just using the mono switch on any phono stage I'm using.

Some might also argue that a conical stylus is more appropriate, but I wouldn't worry about that, either, unless you plan to make a dedicated hobby out of listening to deep groove mono.

@cochlea what labels are they, i.e. Blue Note, Verve, Riverside, Columbia, etc?
Mostly Columbia, some RCA Victor. I haven’t gotten through them all yet, but checkout this notice on the back of Peter Nero’s Reflections album. (sorry, getting off topic)

Attachments

• 5F35BCC5-9792-4BED-B408-F3CFBB76C44C.jpeg
    5F35BCC5-9792-4BED-B408-F3CFBB76C44C.jpeg
    702.6 KB · Views: 108

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Last edited:

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I don't think it's white noise.

According to the track listing, it's a sweep.

Also, the Ortofon test record is cut with RIAA built-in, so should be used with RIAA-on, so I'm a bit confused by the process you list above.

In contrast, STR-100 is a no-RIAA disk and should be used without RIAA.

If you want to graph a transfer, wouldn't it be easier to use a non-RIAA test disk and change the Puffin to Line input?

At least that's what I did....
That is what i did too. My Ortofon is from 1975 The track on side 1 band 3 is whitenoise ( for noise check) with constant velocity -linear -and i used Puffin Line in. It is not the same Ortofon Test record as can be bougth today!!! So that explains the confusion I guess...
I also have Bruel&Kjær QR2010 with constant velocity sweep above 1k Hz . I will try that and compare. Still waiting for my TRS 1007 test reco

Capture.JPG
rd

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That is what i did too. My Ortofon is from 1975 The track on side 1 band 3 is whitenoise ( for noise check) with constant velocity -linear -and i used Puffin Line in. It is not the same Ortofon Test record as can be bougth today!!! So that explains the confusion I guess...
I also have Bruel&Kjær QR2010 with constant velocity sweep above 1k Hz . I will try that and compare. Still waiting for my TRS 1007 test reco

View attachment 110306rd

Oh you have an old one.

The modern one has test tones.

I don't think white noise is the preferred method for FR analysis.

Top Bottom