• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm persona 9H

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Having learnt the hard way, never follow person A who says X sounds better than Y.
I am not so sure about that as long as it is expressed as an opinion, not as a fact, that is based on context.

Impossible

So to clear up I'm getting the bigger paradigm persona 7f's not the 5f's.

Im also paying $12k for them. Are the revels still cheaper? I'm also getting the persona Centre which matches the towers closely. Do the revels have a matching centre?

Impossible

I also have 2 kids, the younger one likes poking tweeters :( with his fingers. He's 1.5 years old. The persona's have this and the mids protected well. I'm also getting the grills for added protection.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
$12k used will get the salon 2 and revel has a matching Voice 2 that uses the same drivers. Congrats on the purchase and if you’re getting them new for the price pm me details, pleeze.

Impossible

Interesting, I'll have a good think and read.

Yes new with 5 years warranty. But only a choice of the colours available in their warehouse.

steve59

Major Contributor
How do I do that hello

steve59

Major Contributor
No kidding I'll buy them for that price

Impossible

So after a few posts about considering revel. I held off on my purchase and went back to the drawing board.

This led me to a demo of Alcons Audio speaker's. I did really like them. In sterio I really thought it was surround sound.

Anyone else heard the alcons?

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In stereo I really thought it was surround sound
That would worry me. Where is all that extra out of phase information originating?

Almost the best test for stereophonic integrity is to play to pure mono material and listen for an absolutely rock solid central image. If the sound seems to come from a non-existent speaker in the middle, the test passes. If the sound is impressive in width or any other buzzwords, something is wrong.

Impossible

I demo'ed the raidho d3 straight after and they were similar in this regard. Maybe it's a ribbon thing I'm not used to.

Impossible

I'll be going back to listen to the persona's again.

Do you think the beryllium tweeters can keep up to ribbons? The alcons ribbons are crossed over at 1200hz.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I suspect non-even responses have their place in various rooms. The little ATC 19's were annihilated here, yet I know from personal experience that the original active 20 pro's (with similar on-axis response) can balance quite well in a small sitting room in a near to mid-field situation.

I suspect the speakers discussed here may well sound much better in a far-field situation (four metres or more listening distance?) in quite a large room, but only you guys would know that for definite. Fire the speakers straight out (as PMC owners do) and listen a fair distance and the audible effect may well be pretty good.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can you explain in simple English what that link is saying please so I get your point
That link is saying that the anechoic frequency response of these speakers doesn’t have the smooth downward slope (e.g. the Harman curve) we look for in speakers (e.g. some of us look for). @w1000i is saying that the users room may mitigate the fr, giving you the sound you want.

w1000i

Forum Donor
Can you explain in simple English what that link is saying please so I get your point

You room will affect the frequency response and it will not match the magazine published graphe. In stereophile sometimes they include speaker FR and in room FR and they always differ and the HF always get some roll-off behavior. For example check this measurement in stereophile, the speaker has more energy in 10Khz but in room measurement is flat. Moreover the off axis also will affect that and each speaker will behaves different.

1597145155992.png

In room

1597145173456.png

https://www.stereophile.com/content/vimberg-mino-loudspeaker-measurements

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't let this get out of hand please, speaker preference is up to the owner.
Some people like flat, some don't.
@Impossible , the best I've ever heard Paradigms sound was at the 2018 Tampa show where they were being driven by the Anthem electronics and heavily room tuned by ARC. Since you already have Dirac I would suggest maybe a Anthem power amps or something from Parasound. If your budget can handle it, a Benchmark AHB2 would be the ultimate right now, upgradable to monoblocks if you feel the need for more power, which I doubt.

I agree 100% with your statement that I have highlighted above.

I thought the Paradigm Personas sounded very good playing the Paradigm provided demo material at the 2019 Florida Audio Expo until I convinced the guy running the demo to play Yes' Roundabout (DSD) on a USB stick I brought. On that material they sounded like a hot mess. Now I see why...

The same speakers sounded quite poor at the 2020 show where they decided to turn the room 90° from the way it had been configured in 2019.

I wanted to like the Paradigm Personas as my first serious speakers were a pair of Paradigm Studio 40 v2 that I spent months demoing against a half a dozen or so other speakers when I lived in the San Francisco bay area. I later owned a pair of Paradigm Reference 100 v.4 that were driven with a Parasound Halo A21. (That was a nice pairing.)

In the end I find Paradigm's just a little too bright for my tastes.

Martin

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You room will affect the frequency response and it will not match the magazine published graphe. In stereophile sometimes they include speaker FR and in room FR and they always differ and the HF always get some roll-off behavior. For example check this measurement in stereophile, the speaker has more energy in 10Khz but in room measurement is flat. Moreover the off axis also will affect that and each speaker will behaves different.

View attachment 77555

In room

View attachment 77556

https://www.stereophile.com/content/vimberg-mino-loudspeaker-measurements
Do you have links to these graphs? I do not see either of them at the link above. Thanks.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not the emotiva. The best i've heard with the 7f is the Pathos logos mkII. If you want more of an airy, audiophile type sound the Anthem str stuff will get you there quick, but the pathos combo is much more organic. a term I save exclusively for asr.

What does "organic" mean? Genuine question. "Airy" to me means boosted treble, but I'm not sure about "organic".

Last edited:
Top Bottom