• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Paired" Speakers

My ancient Celestion A1s are a "matched" pair. Consecutive serial numbers and handily marked L and R. I've just ordered some Revel M16s. One of them has arrived and I hope the other gets here tomorrow. They are individually boxed ( and sold individually in the US I believe). So my pair will be a random marriage based on how they are picked at the depot. Does this matter anymore?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No. The matched pair thing was a little bit of a fad and marketing tool. Didn't really hurt anything.

OP
The Audiophool
Thought so. ASR is such a font of cold reality. The left and right bit is quite weird though. How could it make a difference?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought so. ASR is such a font of cold reality. The left and right bit is quite weird though. How could it make a difference?
Good question. It does help diffraction to off-center the drivers. The better way these days is to round over the cabinet edges. I guess once they determined to off-center things, the rest flowed naturally.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
For good imaging, it's helpful to have both speakers with near identical characteristics. I would expect a quality manufacturer to be pretty consistent between two speakers in the same production run. If there's a large age gap between the two, there may be some variance between them.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been assuming the pair was offset tweeters right and left. That's how it went down over here.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I've been assuming the pair was offset tweeters right and left. That's how it went down over here.

I wondered about that. It can certainly make a difference if the drivers are not vertically aligned. If that's the case, ideally they should be mirrored

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wondered about that. It can certainly make a difference if the drivers are not vertically aligned. If that's the case, ideally they should be mirrored
You saw a lot of those in the 80s. JBL had some as I recall.

Keith Conroy

My ancient Celestion A1s are a "matched" pair. Consecutive serial numbers and handily marked L and R. I've just ordered some Revel M16s. One of them has arrived and I hope the other gets here tomorrow. They are individually boxed ( and sold individually in the US I believe). So my pair will be a random marriage based on how they are picked at the depot. Does this matter anymore?
I don't know how old your current speakers are. Many older model speakers had different degree's of end of line testing. This whole MATCHED PAIR was somewhat of a marketing thing & somewhat real world. Most likely Celestion had a fixed end of line testing routine. They smartly decided they could use this test criteria & sell serial numbered & matched pairs. A good marketing ploy..........With most of today's GOOD major companies. I would consider Revel one such company. Well, such companies usually have rigid end of line test criteria. They have a reference standard which is picked from a defined production. The performance of this reference usually falls near the top of the group tested. Then they will put a small tolerance around this Ref. standard. This is the test criteria that will define pass & fail on ALL SPEAKERS!! Speakers that don't pass will simply be rejected & reworked or destroyed! I think both speakers will be very close.........YOUR SHOULD HAVE NO WORRIES!!

kongwee

Major Contributor
Every RCI and drivers of your speaker has a tolerance value, the manufacturer can find the closet value for your driver(the most repaired parts) replacement. Manufacturer may reject your parts replacement if you don't send your serial no. It is not uncommon to do so in so highly priced manufacturer.

Newman

Major Contributor
No. The matched pair thing was a little bit of a fad and marketing tool. Didn't really hurt anything.
Well HFNRR used to test the FR of the two speakers they had for review, and it wasn't always good news.
Quad 12L Classic FR.jpg

Audel Art CG Tower FR.jpg

Matching was often good, but it would be a mistake to assume so.

cheers

OP
The Audiophool
Well the Revel M16s have now replaced the ageing Celestions. The initial unmeasured feedback is excellent, despite being unmatched or L/R placement specific. What I have read here about them would suggest a pretty tight tolerance level as mentioned by Keith above. So I will sell the Celestions and maybe start saving for a sub. Many thanks for the input.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom