• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ordered Perlisten s7t

• Thread starter Deleted member 4708
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

GME? Not MEG, Geithain?
I read and read, and I wonder if installation speakers will be a good choice for home theater ...
It's called dyslexia... - I meant Geithain of course.

TXavGuy

@Boerd Now that you've had some listening time, do you have any specific comments about the need for subs with these speakers? I'm strongly considering these for 2-channel in a pretty large room (~17000 cubic feet) and will need to know if I should plan for subs. I've listened to other "full range" speakers that "don't require subs" (e.g., Kef Blade, B&W 801 D4, etc.) and can't really imagine not having subs, even for music. But then again, I listen to lots of pop and hip hop and definitely appreciate bass.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

@Boerd Now that you've had some listening time, do you have any specific comments about the need for subs with these speakers? I'm strongly considering these for 2-channel in a pretty large room (~17000 cubic feet) and will need to know if I should plan for subs. I've listened to other "full range" speakers that "don't require subs" (e.g., Kef Blade, B&W 801 D4, etc.) and can't really imagine not having subs, even for music. But then again, I listen to lots of pop and hip hop and definitely appreciate bass.
Personally I don't plan for subs - I love the sound of the towers and they have enough low end for me. Plus, I find it accurate / precise, subjectively speaking.
However, if you consider that Kef Blade need subs then most likely so do the Perlisten (for you).

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Personally I don't plan for subs - I love the sound of the towers and they have enough low end for me. Plus, I find it accurate / precise, subjectively speaking.
However, if you consider that Kef Blade need subs then most likely so do the Perlisten (for you).
What other loudspeakers have you listened to? Maybe Revel Salon Ultima 2, F328Be, something more?

TXavGuy

Thanks for the feedback -- I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I'm going to need to do some planning before being able to hear whatever speakers I end up with in my room (or even a similar room). I could always decide to not get a sub, but I will still be out the costs for the pre-planning (cable runs, conduit, possibly electronics, etc.)

TXavGuy

What other loudspeakers have you listened to? Maybe Revel Salon Ultima 2, F328Be, something more?

(oops -- just noticed this wasn't aimed at me, but I might as well leave my reply here)

I have not heard any Revels, but F328Be is on my list to hear, for sure. I've heard B&W 801 D4, the Blades, some of the big Martin Logan electrostats...I think that may be it (for comparable speakers).

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

bo_knows

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

9 months update;
These speakers are truly wondrous. Their clarity and openness made me change the volume I usually listen to.
There is no need to turn up the volume to hear details.
In my system (miniDSP/AHB2/Perlisten S7t) -36 to -28 depending on the music / recording. Lately I find myself attracted to double bass and generally bass music. Never got tired of these speakers - even after 4-5 hours marathons of classical and jazz.
As I am typing this I listen to Al Di Meola / Jean Luc Ponty / Stanley Clark "Live at Montreux 1994". The level of details I hear is amazing.

A few words on the EQ of the Perlisten.
Without EQ, the highest range (14 khz -20 khz) shows a drop in my room. Last I checked I could hear 18khz. The left speaker also gets better bass response (up to 6db) than the right one (corner proximity on left vs open space proximity on right).
I experimented with 4 filters:
  1. correction from 20-500 Hz
  2. correction full range (tilted response from higher in the bass to lower in the high freq)
  3. correction full range with just a slight correction in the 14khz - 20 khz
  4. Harman curve (I know, I know, that should be the result at the listener's position not the start)
The only way I can do A/B is change the filter on minDSP which unfortunately triggers a few seconds of play pause.
From the filters above I mostly listen to the full correction (tilted) filter. Sounds best to me.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

He/she probably read Kal Rubinson's Stereophile review of KEF Blade 2 and the rest is history. LOL
Ha ha!
I hope (s)he buys the Genelec 8351B/W371A combo - the only speakers imo that compare to the Perlisten.
The Blade One is available at the local Magnolia (Best Buy). While very good sounding I still think the top 2 are the Genelecs and Perlisten.

bo_knows

Ha ha!
I hope (s)he buys the Genelec 8351B/W371A combo - the only speakers imo that compare to the Perlisten.
The Blade One is available at the local Magnolia (Best Buy). While very good sounding I still think the top 2 are the Genelecs and Perlisten.
Well, the ONLY way to find out is for you to buy KEF Blade 2 Meta and try it in your room. ;) Everything else is just a talk and assumption.

bo_knows

Ha ha!
I personally was never impressed with big Blades. As you can tell I live in Dallas and there must be at least 4 Magnolias around that carry them and I heard them all. This must be the most difficult speaker to set it up properly and to sound good. I would think it needs a large room with first-class acoustical treatments that can control the bass all the way down to 30hz (very difficult and expensive!). Speakers should be away from any room boundaries and IMHO, the listener shouldn't sit further than 10-11 feet away. The final touch would be a slight toe-in. IMHO Blade 2 easily outperforms big brother in normal-size rooms. I didn't have a chance to listen to Perlisten yet but I'm sure they are excellent.
Happy for you and glad you are enjoying them! That's what this hobby is all about.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The Blades need a subwoofer. But that's not KEF's fault, every room sounds better with a subwoofer.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Last edited by a moderator:

bo_knows

The Blades need a subwoofer. But that's not KEF's fault, every room sounds better with a subwoofer.
What kind of music do you listen that has energy at 20Hz? For all intent purposes, this is a full-range speaker. Are you trying to take a building down? LOL
1663371310511.png

P.S. I think the bass is the biggest problem with the BIG Blades. This and combined with the bad placing is the reason why I was never impressed with the "almost perfect" measuring passive speaker.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
What kind of music do you listen that has energy at 20Hz? For all intent purposes, this is a full-range speaker. Are you trying to take a building down? LOL
View attachment 231363
I use my system for films, videogames and music.

For music, cases such as Industrial and some Death Metal reaches those frequencies. Films and games, well, that'd the daily bread and butter.

bo_knows

I use my system for films, videogames and music.

For music, cases such as Industrial and some Death Metal reaches those frequencies. Films and games, well, that'd the daily bread and butter.
Oh, I see, you want to use BIG Blades in the home theater or 2.1 setup. That would not be my first pick for HT duties but each to its own.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Oh, I see, you want to use BIG Blades in the home theater or 2.1 setup. That would not be my first pick for HT duties but each to its own.
Want? I wish I could afford the Blades! :D

I listened to them with a subwoofer on and off. With it on, classic UK grindcore like Carcass, Napalm Death and Benediction sounded more rounded and better; same for Prodigy or Nine Inch Nails. Without it, all music sounded incredibly good too, but I still prefer a bit further kick in the low end.

I haven't tried with classic organ, but I'm quite sure anyone who has, can tell a similar story.

Preferences aside, when you go really low in any system, room modes lurk in shadows to ruin your sound, and a couple subwoofers can really help a lot.

I don't believe in "specific" speakers depending on content. If a speaker is well designed, it will just reproduce whatever you through at it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom