• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oppo 205 - playing CD problem

Louis Cypher

I have the oppo 205, very well cared for, clean... and since a couple of years, when I play a CD, it stops playing, time to time. Stops in which I stop listening to it for a second... and it continues playing. This is becoming more and more. Does anyone suffer from it too? Solutions? possible causes?

Indicate that both the oppo and all my CDs are very careful, clean, etc

Thank you!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Open it up, carefully clean the lens with a cotton tip and isopropyl alcohol (100%)... failing that, the laser may need realignment or replacement (usually the whole loader is easier to replace).

Any problems with blurays? Usually it's not the red laser that fails first... but if you mostly use for CD's, possible.

Oh and welcome to ASR. :)

JSmith

OP
L

Louis Cypher

Open it up, carefully clean the lens with a cotton tip and isopropyl alcohol (100%)... failing that, the laser may need realignment or replacement (usually the whole loader).

Any problems with blurays? Usually it's not the red laser that fails first... but if you mostly use for CD's, possible.

Oh and welcome to ASR. :)

JSmith
So far no problem with blu-rays

JSmith

Master Contributor
So far no problem with blu-rays
That's good/lucky... my old BDP-83 still plays CD's, but hasn't played BD's for years even after a good clean out.

I do need to get around to maybe replacing the loader, but I have a cheap multi region player now and don't use the analog outs on it.

JSmith

OP
L

Louis Cypher

I have figured out the problem (almost). It is not a possible dirt or deterioration of the lens. I use the oppo to listen to music and watch movies, therefore it is also connected to the television (Hdmi ARC). When I play a CD, logically I turn off the TV. And that's when the problem appeared. If I turn off the TV, there are stops. If the TV is on, there are no stops. Therefore, I guess there will be some adjustment in the OPPO configuration that causes it. I have checked the settings and I don't know what setting could it be (if it exists) and changing it I can avoid those listening stops. Does anyone know what setting could it be?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I have figured out the problem (almost). It is not a possible dirt or deterioration of the lens. I use the oppo to listen to music and watch movies, therefore it is also connected to the television (Hdmi ARC). When I play a CD, logically I turn off the TV. And that's when the problem appeared. If I turn off the TV, there are stops. If the TV is on, there are no stops. Therefore, I guess there will be some adjustment in the OPPO configuration that causes it. I have checked the settings and I don't know what setting could it be (if it exists) and changing it I can avoid those listening stops. Does anyone know what setting could it be?
Check if any eARC settings are active either on the TV or the Oppo or both.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My Oppo 203 has the same issue and I, too, have related it to the HDMI connection. It isn't clear to me if the Oppo is the problem or if it is the fault of my Samsung TV.

If someone knows a good fix I'd be grateful.

Top Bottom