• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-NR7100 as 2.1 amp - good idea?

tc2007

If the Onkyo is only going to be used for 2.1 and the mains are crossovered at 80hz or so, then I think it can drive 4 ohm speakers since not all channels are used.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If the Onkyo is only going to be used for 2.1 and the mains are crossovered at 80hz or so, then I think it can drive 4 ohm speakers since not all channels are used.
The assumption that the problem load is in the bass is not always warranted...

The issue I experienced with my speakers was in the critical midrange, and the difficult part of the load is the capacitive tweeter which drops to 1.6ohm... (and which in theory should require a tiny amount of power!)

It ALWAYS depends on the speakers.

popej

I think there is great value in the NR7100 or the cousin LX305 but to take advantage of the excellent Dirac and base management, best to spend another $200 and use a Wiim + a clean sounding DAC to it. So for under $800 you still get an excellent sounding 2.1 amp with Dirac room correction.
You can't use Dirac without internal DAC. If I understand correctly, you propose this configuration:
streamer -> external DAC ->analog input -> internal ADC -> DSP with Dirac -> internal DAC -> amplifier

While you dislike this version:
streamer (external or internal) -> digital input -> DSP with Dirac -> internal DAC -> amplifier

IMHO first configuration is not optimal.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
You can't use Dirac without internal DAC. If I understand correctly, you propose this configuration:
streamer -> external DAC ->analog input -> internal ADC -> DSP with Dirac -> internal DAC -> amplifier

While you dislike this version:
streamer (external or internal) -> digital input -> DSP with Dirac -> internal DAC -> amplifier

IMHO first configuration is not optimal.
Agreed - there is absolutely no point going through an additional ADC/DAC cycle, it can only degrade the sound.

Also, typically AVR's in the mass market, often have their best chips in the DAC area, and cheaper lower performance chips in the ADC... - making the ADC the limiting factor in performance.

(Note: I don't know which chipsets are used ... but expect it can be found in the RZ50/NR7100 threads...)

Top Bottom