• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-NR7100 as 2.1 amp - good idea?

decryption

Have been on the hunt for a new 2.1 setup and it looks like the Onkyo TX-NR7100 is a bit of a bargain.

A$1699 here and you get a good quality amp & DAC, a decent media player (AirPlay 2, Spotify, Chromecast, aptX HD, DSD, 192/24 FLAC etc.) and the killer feature - Dirac Live room correction.

Pair it up with a nice set of passive speakers and it would be a great package IMHO. Anyone else using the NR7100 for music purposes?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have been on the hunt for a new 2.1 setup and it looks like the Onkyo TX-NR7100 is a bit of a bargain.

A$1699 here and you get a good quality amp & DAC, a decent media player (AirPlay 2, Spotify, Chromecast, aptX HD, DSD, 192/24 FLAC etc.) and the killer feature - Dirac Live room correction.

Pair it up with a nice set of passive speakers and it would be a great package IMHO. Anyone else using the NR7100 for music purposes?
In my opinion that is not a good choice. You are paying for all those 9.2 surround sound features and amps when you are using it for a 2.1 configuration. Is the Dirac included in that price or is it a add on later for a extra cost?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Included in the price - which is what makes it so attractive.
IC. I've never used Dirac so I don't know firsthand what the improvement is but the peeps seem to really like it. It's nice that the Onkyo has 4 Ohms capability? I saw 6 Ohms and then I think I saw 4 Ohms when I was scanning pics and specs.

Joramun

IC. I've never used Dirac so I don't know firsthand what the improvement is but the peeps seem to really like it. It's nice that the Onkyo has 4 Ohms capability? I saw 6 Ohms and then I think I saw 4 Ohms when I was scanning pics and specs.
I can confirm it can do 4 Ohms. You can set it in the config menu.

Joramun

I have this AVR in a 2.1 setup.

Reasons I got it are:
  • HDMI ports are all HDCP2.3 (4K/120Hz) for gaming
  • Dirac
  • Was on a sale

ejw

I have this AVR in a 2.1 setup.

Reasons I got it are:
  • HDMI ports are all HDCP2.3 (4K/120Hz) for gaming
  • Dirac
  • Was on a sale
I see it in sale for $549 right now, any additional thoughts on if it's worth it for Dirac alone?

andrewskaterrr

I see it in sale for $549 right now, any additional thoughts on if it's worth it for Dirac alone?
I received mine for $550 the other day. 100% the best deal due to Dirac coming with it at this price point. I don't need the Preouts for my purpose. I plan to test it against my JBL SDP-55 which also has Dirac. I want to have a friend use my speaker/AVR selector switch and have me do a blind test between them. Also I'll measure with REW and all that.

tc2007

I have never found a cheap (sub $1500) AVR that sounds good, for music, when using internal streaming and digital inputs. My past Pioneer LX305 sounded excellent when using analogue in. Both the NR7100 and LX305 are now <$600 so as an analogue 2.1 system with DIRAC they are excellent value. If you are willing to spend a few more $$$s on a decent streaming DAC OR willing to live with ho-hum sound of the internals.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never found a cheap (sub $1500) AVR that sounds good when using internal streaming and digital inputs. My past Pioneer LX305 sounded excellent when using analogue in. Both the NR7100 and LX305 are now <$600 so as an analogue 2.1 system with DIRAC they are excellent value. If you are willing to spend a few more $$$s on a decent streaming DAC OR willing to live with ho-hum sound of the internals.
I've not had that experience. Then again I don't believe that dacs make that much difference at all. Ho hum sound of internals, really?

tc2007

You realized that these AVR's are just not DACs right? I meant the sound when using the Digital inputs or internal streaming (DTS Play-FI app) was not as good as when using an external DAC via analog connection. These AVRs have the cheapest components.

The sound was noticeably better when I used a Topping E30 + BluSound Node to the analog input of my then LX305.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You realized that these AVR's are just not DACs right? I meant the sound when using the Digital inputs or internal streaming (DTS Play-FI app) was not as good as when using an external DAC via analog connection. These AVRs have the cheapest components.

The sound was noticeably better when I used a Topping E30 + BluSound Node to the analog input of my then LX305.
You relate expense to quality of sound? That's not a good start. A blusound node isn't particularly great in dac-land in any case. I've got a very good spec external dac and find it makes no particular difference myself, just use that with my old analog-only gear. I think you probably just have poor comparison methodology.

tc2007

Did you even read what I wrote or maybe didn't understand the setup?

The Node was used as a source only, feeding (via optical input) to a Topping E30, which is a $120ish DAC, but a good one, when then fed to the LX305 via analog input.

And no I am not equating $$$s to sound quality. I think there is great value in the NR7100 or the cousin LX305 but to take advantage of the excellent Dirac and base management, best to spend another $200 and use a Wiim + a clean sounding DAC to it. So for under $800 you still get an excellent sounding 2.1 amp with Dirac room correction.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you even read what I wrote or maybe didn't understand the setup?

The Node was used as a source only, feeding (via optical input) to a Topping E30, which is a $120ish DAC, but a good one, when then fed to the LX305 via analog input.

And no I am not equating $$$s to sound quality. I think there is great value in the NR7100 or the cousin LX305 but to take advantage of the excellent Dirac and base management, best to spend another $200 and use a Wiim + a clean sounding DAC to it. So for under $800 you still get an excellent sounding 2.1 amp with Dirac room correction.
Yes I did. You seem to have some fantasies about dac differences, tho.

andrewskaterrr

Just a heads up, I spoke with Amir and I am planning on sending in my Onkyo TX-NR7100 for him to review soon. I'm just making sure there's no manufacture defects at the moment before my 30 day return period goes up.

tc2007

Have you listened to it? Streaming app / digital inputs etc. Do you like it?

andrewskaterrr

So far I've only played Pacific Rim's first fight scene, but I haven't run Dirac yet. I just set crossovers at 80hz and slight level adjustment. It's in my cheap bedroom setup with Jamo S 809, 801, C81, 810 sub that I rarely used due to the Marantz SR5010 not having XT32 to tame the insane treble. I need to run Dirac to get a proper feel, or move to my system to test. No issues so far though.

pogo

Major Contributor
Better choices are:
Sonoro Maestro Quantum
NAD C389, C399 or C3050 with the Dirac Live/BluOS module

The NAD products are also made DLBC capable. Whether DLART is coming has not yet been communicated.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I have the near twin Integra DRX 3.4 purchased for that same price on pre-release last year...
Only difference with the NR7100 is that it has a full set of pre-outs.

Sadly, it did not sound as good as it should on my 4 ohm speakers - using a more robust external amp, and the DRX 3.4 as a pre completely resolved the problem.

My conclusion is that it gets unhappy when driving nominally 4 ohm speakers which have drops well below that (1.6 ohm in my case)

I'm very happy with the preamp and decoder sections, and the amps handle my surround and height channels well - so I assume they would handle a set of main speakers that are nominally 6ohm or above, without any issues.

Just be cautious if your speakers are 4 ohm.

Top Bottom