• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo ns6170 streamer / dac, upgrading by Connecting external DAC?

Martijn

Dear forum members,

First of all I would like to compliment this site and the contributors.
Really enjoying reading about experiences of you all on audio components, combinations and of course the objective measurements!
For me I’m a little addicted, I think.

I hope I may ask a question here. If not I like to know what is the correct place.

I recently bought a streamer and dac combi. Onkyo NS 6170. I read about it and I needed a wifi streamer and a dac, to connect my Densen b130xs amplifier (without a dac). I think it‘s a very multifuncional streamer and looking inside it looks rather well engineerd with dual akm 4490 dacs.

Since I read a lot on asr about all the really well measuring new dacs, I would like your opinion on this:

Do you think adding an external dac like topping d90, or benchmark dac3 or rme adi2 dac, would be an upgrade in an audible way?
I‘m really curious after reading about those impressive measurements and well engineered and reasonably priced dacs.

An idea I had was about connecting a -not in use anymore- imac mini i5 at one of the above listed dacs and sell the Onkyo.
BTW, the Onkyo sounds really nice and works fine as Roon endpoint, but I‘m pretty curious about experimenting and testing and enjoying new options.

Thank you in advance!

Martijn

Last edited:

tom_tom

Hi @Martjin,
I'm not sure if my experience helps but I had Onkyo 6130 ( lower model ) and after listening to it for few months I've added Topping D50s to the system because I've needed additional input options. I've liked sound more and I think it was an improvement. Difference was easily audible and I did blind test also just to make sure I'm not tricking myself.

BR

OP
M

Martijn

Thank you BR,

Sure your experience helps me.
I will try connecting an external DAC. As a streamer and all the features of both Onkyo's, I think it is a very nice product.

Thank you again.

tom_tom

@Martijn one more thing that I just remembered from that time. I was testing few DACs at the same time and when I've connected SMSL Sanskirt SK10 ( first gen ) and Topping MX3 Pro I've heard no difference between Onkyo 6130 internal DAC and those two. That is why I've chosen Topping D50s.

OP
M

Martijn

Thank you Tom,

So the Topping d50s makes the difference. For me Topping was an unkown brand, till I started reading this forum. They make pretty nice and economic gear.
Thank you! Its fascinating the impact of ‘only’ dacs. Amplifier and speakers I know of their impact.

May I ask you which amplifier you use? It must be a good one to hear those differences.

grtz

tom_tom

At the time I've had 2 amplifiers. Onkyo a9150 and Atoll in100se. Also 2 pairs of speakers, Jamo c103 and Polk Audio S50E. Finally I've sold Onkyo amp and returned Polk Audio speakers. I'm still using Atoll, Jamo and Topping as a main set.
Topping may not be mainstream brand that You can buy anywhere ( at least not in Europe ) but it has more and more fans in audio world. Depend of requirements you have multiple very good DACs to choose from. Check out for example SMSL SU-9 or Soncoz SGD-1 ( both tested here )
Great audio doesn't have to cost thousands of dollars.

Best

fluxcapacitor

Thank you Tom,

So the Topping d50s makes the difference. For me Topping was an unkown brand, till I started reading this forum. They make pretty nice and economic gear.
Thank you! Its fascinating the impact of ‘only’ dacs. Amplifier and speakers I know of their impact.

May I ask you which amplifier you use? It must be a good one to hear those differences.

grtz
6170 is a totally different beast comparing to 6130,,, two mono ak4490 DACs with two separate power supply lines.i just started to use it over Topping E50, it sounds warmer and better refined.You don't need an additional DAC with 6170.

Top Bottom