• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OMG, the forum was offline for an update...

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I still get a single Review column in Safari on iPad 8 gen.
Was that not the case before? I can confirm this by changing the browser to the iPad size.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had not applied the column fix to all the templates. Those of you who saw one or three columns, can you please report back if that is still the case?
2 columns now.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The search function on iPhone is finally fixed! Yeah!
It was pretty wonky but was never totally broken: If you scroll all the way to the top first, you could make it work. Did not test it yet after the update.

The checkboxes in the dark template are still very low contrast though (this one is from the account details:
1632317783674.png

But not everywhere, in the search it seems to be fixed somehow:
1632317819065.png

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Continue to document what you see as an issue and I will start working on them a few hours from now when I get back.
On Linux with Firefox I don't see the numbered lists anymore in the menu, only unordered lists (with bullets). On Android I don't see any lists in the menu.

Propheticus

Found some. A few were already mentioned here or there.
  • On the reviews page, all the articles are now showing "PIN" with a pin icon where there used to be a date.
    1633012619977.png
  • Article previews on the homepage are shorter than before, cutting off pictures half-way. In the dark theme they're even shorter than in the default theme.
    Instead of making theme specific CSS changes, it might be less of a version management hell to do this in the Less styling of XenForo/XenPorto and/or a top-level (inherited) style which is not theme specific.
    Perhaps it's an idea to use XenPorto's article image header option, whereby you use one of the post's attached images as the header.
  • On Android the WYSIWYG editor has a lot fewer options than desktop, even when searching through the 'triple-dot' menus.
    e.g. there's no list (unordered nor numbered)
  • Inconsistent behaviour: on the right side of the forums listed on the board overview you see the thread with the most recent activity and by whom. If you click the thread title you however do not go to the url of that post or .../latest (the actual last activity) but to .../unread which brings your first unread post. This can be much earlier in the thread, days before the last activity.
    When in a forum/sub-forum thread overview (example), the behaviour is different. Here the latest activity timestamp shown on the right actually links to .../latest.
    (The Xenforo Forum itself does not show the same inconsistency btw)
  • The dark theme shows all the forum blurbs/ descriptions which clutters the view a bit. The default theme only shows this blurb in a balloon on mouse-over.
    1633016916073.png
    1633016897718.png
  • Link previews for links to posts on this site fail to load the favicon. Instead of https://www.audiosciencereview.com/favicon.ico the image source points to the URL of the linked post.
    (also the preview text, while matching the description tag for the page you land on, does not match the actual post linked to)

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On Linux with Firefox I don't see the numbered lists anymore in the menu, only unordered lists (with bullets). On Android I don't see any lists in the menu.

Really miss this too. So going to highlight a bit. @amirm am willing to help fix if needed!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It should be possible to enter lists in raw mode (klick on the button with the 2 rectangular parentheses).

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It should be possible to enter lists in raw mode (klick on the button with the 2 rectangular parentheses).
You don't even need to do that. BBCode will get converted automagically. I rarely need raw mode, usually just for getting the cursor above a quote at the very beginning of a post.

Entering
Code:
[list=1]
[*]sdfghj
[*]dfghjkl
[/list]
gives
  1. sdfghj
  2. dfghjkl

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't even need to do that. BBCode will get converted automagically. I rarely need raw mode, usually just for getting the cursor above a quote at the very beginning of a post.

Entering
Code:
[list=1]
[*]sdfghj
[*]dfghjkl
[/list]
gives
  1. sdfghj
  2. dfghjkl
Thanks! Good as a workaround for now.

Amir pays for the forum software and should not have this or any other UI mess that still persists. Sure we can get it fixed eventually.

Phoney

So a few hours ago, to my great dismay, my eyes started twitching after I found out that the forum was offline for an update o_O. Those minutes were unbearable.. Was the forum finally hacked by the audiophile cabal? Would the forum ever come back? Would it still be the same?

Luckily as it turns out, it was just a regular update, and the forum seems to be once more safe :cool:. So if the cabal has taken over, it surely did it very secretly...

I do notice some changes though. Some good, some bad. I especially noticed that the "alerts" features has become a bit more confusing. Or possible just something to get used to. Would be nice to have a list of new and changed features. There might be new things of interest for users? Or possibly some annoying things can be configured to make the experience better? Might be fun to discuss...
I noticed that after this update, the sounstage of the forum definetly got a bit wider. It felt as if I was literally in the room while the objectivists and subjectivists were arguing. My wife noticed the same thing.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed that after this update, the sounstage of the forum definetly got a bit wider. It felt as if I was literally in the room while the objectivists and subjectivists were arguing. My wife noticed the same thing.
You should try the dark theme. The black background is uncanny :eek:

Anyway, some more updates were done, one notable useful addition is the "read" features in the alerts list. That is really super.

One thing annoying about the dark theme is that the text selection in the post editor does not have enough contrast, you cannot properly see what you select. see https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_css_text_selection.asp

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I gave this some air with Amir and he is willing to spend some time fixing and improving the menu toolbar.

Is it badly messed In Android? Only device I have is an older Fire tablet and not sure it is representative.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave this some air with Amir and he is willing to spend some time fixing and improving the menu toolbar.

Is it badly messed In Android? Only device I have is an older Fire tablet and not sure it is representative.
Both on Android 6.0 (old 5.5" smartphone) as on Android 11 (new 10" tablet) lists are not available via menu.

Top Bottom