• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyond the 'like' - extra award for excellent forum advice?

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I wondered if a new award system could be introduced to the forum so OPs of threads can reward a reply that answers their question, solves their problem, or goes well beyond the call of duty to help.

Of course most people answer questions because they want to help, not because they want to collect awards, but I wondered if an award system like this might offer an extra little incentive. Also, by everyone accruing awards, users would be able to see who gives helpful, trustworthy advice - distinct from likes which might be for e.g. humour or industry insight.

To give an example, I recently posted a thread asking a technical question. It received several replies, most of which were helpful. But one reply alerted me to functionality I was unaware of in my system. It allowed me to do what I'd hoped when starting the thread - make changes to my system that would save me money with no loss in sound quality or functionality.

In the event, this one reply saved me £750 and actually improved my system's functionality.

I liked the reply, and sent a thank you note, but because my question was so specific, the reply only got two likes, which I thought was a bit limited considering the impact it had - I'd have like to reward the reply in a way that could be seen by all users.

What do you think? Could an award system like this work?

Thanks,

James

Zoomer

I agree that the likes are very unspecific. For example it seems to be customary that OP's like every contribution to their thread, I suppose to prevent dillution of the messages:likes ratio.

A more quality-based award system sounds like a good idea, but I'm afraid that similar mechanisms will apply there.

If the forum software supports it, splitting the like into categories might be an idea (ArsTechnica does this).

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a bad idea. Maybe an extra tag that says "Helpful" once they get so many votes. But of course a post specifically thanking them is all I think is really necessary. That means a lot, the internet is often a rude and thankless place.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a bad idea...
Wouldn't be a better change if ASR can institute a "Tip Jar"?
Not necessarily to enrich a wallet but to assist in sustaining our home-away-from-home.
In the event, this one reply saved me £750 and actually improved my system's functionality.
What would be the gratuity in your case? £75?:facepalm:

Reactions: 617

Curvature

Major Contributor
There's awards and other similar things in other forums.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not necessarily to enrich a wallet but to assist in sustaining our home-away-from-home.

Need a swear jar too...LoL. This is a family friendly website. A tip jar is a great idea and the tip goes to ASR for stuff. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

It adds up and some peeps are generous. I for one reward app developers and some web sites that provide something for the humanities.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It adds up and some peeps are generous. I for one reward app developers and some web sites that provide something for the humanities.
I had a ForSale posted here and got sold.
Where is that damn TipJar.... ooopsie... and that SwearJar?:facepalm:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the tip jar idea. Incentivize Amir to do nice things for us.

Top Bottom