• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oehlbach Digi bridge

Fralle

Did anyone try this? I need a real simple solution with a Optical in and a Line out. Schiit Modi 3 seems good for the job but to expensive to import to Sweden. Iv'e seen some reviews of the Fiio D3 and I was wondering if this one could be a step up.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would guess no-one has tried it. And it has not been measured here, so no-one knows how it will perform.

It will probably be fine, but you should also look at the topping D30.

OP
F

Fralle

Topping D30 is very different through. I am looking for something like Fiio D3 Thaishan but better quality.

MCH

Major Contributor
Fralle, it has been discussed here many times and some of these small cheap dacs measured (don't know if the two ones you mention have been measured though). I don't recall any of these adapters being anywhere close to the cheap toppings and the like, but they might be enough for your use...
I would say the short answer is that if you want something cheap and proved to be good, go for an entry level topping or similar (for reference see the review index) i think some sell from 60 euros sometimes in amazon. Now, 10 euros "adapters" proven to be nearly as good, i am not sure they exist.
Hope it helps.
PS: do you need to pay extra taxes or charges in sweden if you buy something from, for instance, amazon.de? Just curious

OP
F

Fralle

MarcosCh

Thank you! No amazon.de is ok for me.

Reactions: MCH

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Did anyone try this? I need a real simple solution with a Optical in and a Line out. Schiit Modi 3 seems good for the job but to expensive to import to Sweden. Iv'e seen some reviews of the Fiio D3 and I was wondering if this one could be a step up.

Not really an answer to your question (I have no experience with the Oehlbach DAC), but a general comment: if you plan to use the DAC just for normal listening (as opposed to specific use-cases like measurements, recording, etc.) I'd dare to say that the cheap FiiO D03K is dangerously close to transparency already :D

Depending on what you plan to drive from it, some minor issues with the FiiO unit may be:
  • Small 0,7dB frequency response peak >10kHz
  • Relatively low maximum output level; ~1,5Vrms instead of the common 2Vrms. This is a 2,5dB difference - e.g. if your amp's maximum input is 2Vrms you may lose 2,5dB of maximum loudness using the FiiO.
  • FiiO seems to exhibit some load sensitivity (a sign of high output impedance and/or low current capability), so it may have issues driving unusually low impedance line inputs. Low impedance line inputs are not that common so shouldn't really be an issue in practice.
TBH given the similar format I doubt that the Oehlbach unit would measure much better (for all we know it might also measure worse), while it is significantly more expensive.

Related to audibility, perhaps you might be interested in this thread I opened today, with a blind listening ABX test you can take: comparing between the FiiO D03K and the objectively much, much better measuring Topping E50. IMHO even in that comparison the potential audible differences are very small.

Lastly, I posted detailed measurements of the FiiO D03K here.

Good luck in your search!

Kundroc

TBH given the similar format I doubt that the Oehlbach unit would measure much better (for all we know it might also measure worse), while it is significantly more expensive.
I have a one of the Oehlbachs and did a quick check with it to assess its performance.

Measurements were performed with an RME ADI-2 Pro and the Oelbach was connected to optical SPDIF output of the PC.
Let's have a look at the RMAA measurement summary:

RMAA Dashboard.png

The Oehlbach shows a rather high noise level at -87dBA for 16bit files which improves slightly to -93dBA with 24bit files.

Its frequency response is uneven and drops quickly at higher frequencies. At drop of one dB can already be recognized at 10kHz
fr.png

Distorsions with a 1 kHz signal at -3dFS are characterized by a dominating third harmonics at -79dB. Also note the higher noise level in the left channel.

THD.png

I think, above measurements give some good idea about the performance of the Oehlbach. It is in no dimension exceeding the measurements of the FiiO D03K but in the asked price.

To conclude, let's have a look at the board.
20220107_red.jpg

The DAC is a Cirrus Logic CS4344. The specification of the chip states a THD+N of -90 dB (at 16 bit). The implementation in the Oehlbach misses the specification significantly with a THD+N at only -75dB (0.017%).

sjeesjie

Thanks for that @Kundroc ! I’m looking for something simple to connect my tv to stereo but this won’t be it :cool:

Top Bottom