• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO Taishan D03K DAC measurements

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
FiiO Taishan D03K is a pretty cheap DAC that was often recommended online to connect TVs (that now mostly provide only digital audio output) with analogue audio gear. I have one so I thought it might be useful to post my measurements. Cost was 21,99 GBP a few years ago.

Here's a few pictures of the device:
1637444050195.png

1637444022027.png

The measurements you'll see next were done with the RME Babyface soundcard, first generation - measured here. The DAC was connected to optical SPDIF output of RME Babyface, clock source was RME internal clock and the sample rate was set to 48kHz for most measurements. Also, in most cases the Hi-Z unbalanced input of RME Babyface was used to measure the DAC performance. Exceptions will be noted in the text.

Let's start with the basics, RMAA measurement summary:
1637444903092.png

We can see that left channel performs better that the right, but both are far from SOTA. Still, should be more than OK for the intended uncritical use.

Note that I had to measure each channel individually as I have only one high-impedance (Hi-Z) unbalanced input on my soundcard. To measure channel crosstalk I had to use the stereo unbalanced inputs (which are relatively low-impedance in my soundcard). Using low-impedance inputs with this DAC caused excessive loading of its output and as a consequence would increase distortion - which is why I didn't use them for other tests.

Here's the frequency response:
FiiO Taishan D03K - FR.jpg

Not a lot of channel level difference, but there is a ~0,9dB rise cantered around 20kHz. Note that the above response is calibrated/normalized to my soundcard's loopback response (which should be dominated by ADC response, based on my analysis here). This calibration is what causes the sharp peak in the FR extreme at ~23kHz (the part of the response with a very steep slope), and not the DAC under test, so it can be disregarded.

If we change the sample rate to 96kHz we see a similar rise past 20kHz (again, disregard the sharp peak above ~40kHz):
FiiO Taishan D03K - Frequency Response (96kHz sample rate).jpg

Next let's see the spectrum of a 1 kHz sine at -1 dBFS peak output:
FiiO Taishan D03K - 1kHz at -1 dBFS.png

Reasonably clean noise spectrum, but SINAD is only ~91dB. Maximum full scale sine output is ~1,53 Vrms.

Let's look now at the THD vs level sweep at 1kHz:
FiiO Taishan D03K - Left channel - HD vs level.jpg

FiiO Taishan D03K - Right channel - HD vs level.jpg

We see that distortion starts to emerge from the noise floor between -30 and -25dBFS, and highest SINAD is reached at -1 dBFS peak (-4 dBFS RMS).

Let's look at the THD vs frequency at -1dBFS (1,37Vrms) output:
FiiO Taishan D03K - Left - THD vs frequency at -1 dBFS (1,37 Vrms).jpg

FiiO Taishan D03K - Right - THD vs frequency at -1 dBFS (1,37 Vrms).jpg

Here we can again see the noise level difference between channels.

And THD comparison at 0,5 Vrms vs 1,37 Vrms output levels:
FiiO Taishan D03K - THD vs frequency at two output levels.jpg

We can see that the 2nd and 3rd harmonic dominate THD, and we see also a significant rise in THD towards the lowest frequencies. Other than that nothing very exciting.

Multitone at -1dBFS output:
1637447745108.png

Definitely not great :) (~12 bits distortion-free)

Jitter:
1637447858646.png

Some artefacts are visible but all are below -110dB.

In conclusion I'll just say that, while D03K doesn't measure very well, it is tiny and IMHO does the job reasonable well for uncritical purposes. E.g. I used it with my TV for a while, and recently only use it as a tool when I'm having issues with ground loops in certain setups (which can be broken with the optical connection to the DAC). I wouldn't use it as a signal generator to measure SOTA ADCs, though! :D

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
We can see that the 2nd and 3rd harmonic dominate THD, and we see also a significant rise in THD towards the lowest frequencies. Other than that nothing very exciting.
The output opamp is an LMV358, which is rather on the jellybean side of things (but at least vastly better than the old LM358 for audio). Neither super fast nor a great load driver as you found, but cheap and low power. You could no doubt upgrade to a fancier RRIO part if so desired. The ultrasonic peaking is likely down to high-value feedback network resistors and opamp input capacitance, normally there's a small capacitor in parallel to the feedback resistor.

The rise on the low end may be down to coupling capacitors.

The right channel in particular seems to be a bit short of what a CS4344 should be able to achieve (DR 105 dB(A), THD+N = -90 dB @ 0 dBFS).

Fohdeesha

Forum Donor
Nice measurements, I recently measured mine as well before installing it and posted some graphs in this thread, as it seems they used to have some very bad issues when fed 48khz sample rates - as both your and mine tests show however, they seem to have ironed this out in the past two years - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-of-budget-20-dacs.1316/page-3#post-1029914

It seems our overall measurement of THD+Noise is in very close agreement:

B9gId4C.png

OP
dominikz

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice measurements, I recently measured mine as well before installing it and posted some graphs in this thread, as it seems they used to have some very bad issues when fed 48khz sample rates - as both your and mine tests show however, they seem to have ironed this out in the past two years - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-of-budget-20-dacs.1316/page-3#post-1029914

It seems our overall measurement of THD+Noise is in very close agreement:

B9gId4C.png
Nice! Thanks a lot for sharing your results - more data points are always welcome :)

hnash53

This review states what previous DAC reviews have shown: a DAC is a DAC is a DAC.
Sure, there might be some measurable differences but none that can be audibly heard.
Thanks for the review.

This review states what previous DAC reviews have shown: a DAC is a DAC is a DAC.
Sure, there might be some measurable differences but none that can be audibly heard.
Thanks for the review.
True, but every dac has and opamp and it’s implementation DOES have an affect on audible sound

Count Dacula

For a long time, I've had an OG Wolfsen D03, with no complaints. I still use it for SQ purposes, and would be curious how well it would test. Supposedly the original unit is a keeper.

Jazz

For a long time, I've had an OG Wolfsen D03, with no complaints. I still use it for SQ purposes, and would be curious how well it would test. Supposedly the original unit is a keeper.
Is that the silver RCA unit?

Count Dacula

Really, the benchmark for this unit was compared to 1990's era CD players. Def suitable for AV use, but the trick would be to eek out a win over tired CDP ladder DACs. Do people think it succeeds?

I was spoiled by my NAK MB1-s for so long, I couldn't even listen to other players. In the absence of it, I think the D03 brings some of those old set-ups to a higher level. Maybe there are better choices now, but I bought a fist full of NOS ones to use and hand out for people's hurting AV systems. My Mother in Law even uses one for her TV hearing aid set-up, lol.

Top Bottom