• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nord Integrated just went "wide open"

David_R

I had a pretty bad experience tonight with my New Linton speakers and my older nord hypex integrated. I was about to stream some music through my Wiim Streamer when I got the shock of my life. The volume level went full tilt rock concert levels in a small living room and I was fortunate enough to be right next to the amp and quick to press the power button. I reacted so quickly I dont think it was on for more than one second.

However, I am less than impressed that the amp is able to do this in the first place. This has only affected one input so far and its displaying text different to normal but anyway I've contacted Nord about it. Its enough to put me off using the amp again and I've dug out my old NAD C370 to take the Nords place. Granted its not as good as the nord with the lintons but I dont have confidence to use any of the other inputs incase they go maximum overdrive too.

I am glad the speakers handled the short burst. I've only had them since thursday!

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

David

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
One of these?

1699827735672.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's odd.
What kind of volume control is using?

OP
D

David_R

Its an older model the INT-A.. I think I purchased it in 2015'ish?

Why do I think it was the Nord. The Wiim is fixed output. Its working fine on the NAD and the Nord output is still wide open on that one input with the text "Home theater" instead of the volume level. Is it the input board?? I dont know I'm definitely no expert.

Sokel

Master Contributor
So it's not the VC,it's the input selector going bananas,in HC mode is wide open as it should be,only at the wrong output.
That's unfortunate.

OP
D

David_R

I'm hoping Colin at Nord can help me out. I've got old faithful to use for now.

D

Deleted member 48726

Damn! -Have you tested all the speaker drivers for damage?

Digital main control with lots of power simply needs some kind of emergency fall back control.

In any way you seem to have accidentally put your best amp in the closet. Does it not have enough power for your Lintons? It has quite impressive dynamic power into low impedances as far as I recall.

OP
D

David_R

In any way you seem to have accidentally put your best amp in the closet. Does it not have enough power for your Lintons? It has quite impressive dynamic power into low impedances as far as I recall.
Speakers seem fine. No funny smells, no suspicious noises from the drivers.

The Class D seems quite a nice pairing with the Linton's to my ears, at least.

I have also heard back from Nord. The left control knob has a menu that allows any input to be switched to HT mode. Never in all the years did I know that (I didn't even know they were push buttons! as I never received a manual when purchased to even find out - I have the manual now provided by Nord). I'm using it the same way as I've always done.

I will give the benefit of the doubt (and go with I've accidently got into HT mode) and be extra vigilant with input selection.

D

Deleted member 48726

Speakers seem fine. No funny smells, no suspicious noises from the drivers.

The Class D seems quite a nice pairing with the Linton's to my ears, at least.

I have also heard back from Nord. The left control knob has a menu that allows any input to be switched to HT mode. Never in all the years did I know that (I didn't even know they were push buttons! as I never received a manual when purchased to even find out - I have the manual now provided by Nord). I'm using it the same way as I've always done.

I will give the benefit of the doubt (and go with I've accidently got into HT mode) and be extra vigilant with input selection.
Hmm. So all you had to do was push one button to by-pass the volume control?? :confused: -Sounds somewhat dangerous.

OP
D

David_R

Hmm. So all you had to do was push one button to by-pass the volume control?? :confused: -Sounds somewhat dangerous.
Its not the best. I've never managed it in 8yrs, though.

However, it does mean I have to double check when using the remote to select source that the mode has not switched, before playing anything. :facepalm:

D

Deleted member 48726

There should have been separate inputs on the back for this function (use it as a power amp). I actually find it very troublesome as I imagine my kids, wife or guests just presses one button and then unleashes full power..:oops:

OP
D

David_R

There should have been separate inputs on the back for this function (use it as a power amp). I actually find it very troublesome as I imagine my kids, wife or guests just presses one button and then unleashes full power..:oops:
This is what I'm starting to think. If I am fairly certain in myself that I didn't switch anything. That only leaves the maid!

PS. Its more press, very light 8th turn twist and press. That gets whatever input into HT mode. It could be done during cleaning.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The volume level went full tilt rock concert levels in a small living room and I was fortunate enough to be right next to the amp and quick to press the power button. I reacted so quickly I dont think it was on for more than one second.

I still have a bit of PTSD from a similar experience with 5x500wpc speakers in nearfield when I hit the wrong button and a white noise test signal hit me full blast.

Hard to describe. No interest in a repeat. I'm much more cautious about digital connections with no analog attenuation in line.

Glad you don't seem to have any damage, but that's no joke.

D

Deleted member 48726

Not something I plan to repeat.

I think if anything is damaged its my hearing. Still slight ringing this morning!

Uh oh! Give it a day more and cross your fingers. Keep in quiet environment for some time.

OP
D

David_R

PTSD, so true. It reminded me of my teenage years when my friend thought it would be funny to turn on a very large stack of amps belonging to his older brothers band. IN THE LIVING ROOM!! and not quite on 11 but they might aswell have been when he strummed those guitar strings!

Thanks Holtdt, keeping fingers crossed.

Top Bottom