• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All of the operations of my record player are fully electronic. I even have a repeat button. Obviously you have to put on the record yourself, but everything else after that could be done with a remote.

Nice to know you use DENON TT!
I too recently revived my DENON DP-57L in my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio project (ref. here).

If you would be interested, please find here the latest setup of my system as of August 3 2023.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
For completeness (in misinterpreting/ruining a joke :cool:) -- here's the Accutrak Accutrac I didn't keep. This one was scroungier than the one that's still here.
View attachment 306066
I believe the arm's belt driven.
The cartridge uses a light (IR) and a photosensor to discriminate between modulated and unmodulated bands on an LP. I don't know how the system feels about translucent or colored disks. :)
You can read a transcription of the sales brochure blurb at https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2010/10/adc-accutrac-4000.html and the manuals are available at the usual places (e.g., vinylengine).
Stereo Review's test of the Accutrack EDIT Accutrac may be found starting on pg. 42 of https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...iFI-Stereo/70s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1976-09.pdf

I've never even plugged in either of the two that are or were here -- I don't know if the tt can be tricked to work in the absence of the signal from the cartridge (and, needless to say, the styli were/are bad or missing).

Quite familiar with the b&o linears - I do have one of the later, lesser models (a TX-2) -- no track seeking functions on the TX-2, though, of course.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been done (of course) :)
<removed>
(Heathkit sold the Accutrac sort of under their own name for a wee bit)...
202308_HeathKitAcutrac.jpg

egadz!
24 mechanical switches that were (probably) hardwired, to bunches of individual transistors somewhere... and no one had even heard of a uP as a traffic cop!
It really gave me a flashback... as to what we considered fun in those days!
10q

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
View attachment 306159
egadz!
24 mechanical switches that were (probably) hardwired, to bunches of individual transistors somewhere... and no one had even heard of a uP as a traffic cop!
It really gave me a flashback... as to what we considered fun in those days!
10q
Well... if Heathkit had actually worked its magic on the AccuTrac platform ;) -- it would've had a keypad. Or maybe a card reader slot. Or both. :cool:
You know, like their (fairly) early digital tuner.

1692215916892.png

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Heathkit-Catalogs/Heathkit-Catalog-1977-Fall.pdf

EDIT:
1) JK about the card reader. HH Scott T33S had that. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

Just a web image -- it would be way cool to have one of these, though...

2) Yeah, yeah -- tuners are not turntables... I know, I know... :facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Here; lemme assist while keeping with your nixie tube theme:

View attachment 306202
Sonofix was a kickstarter dealio, which raised about $100K.
Although shipments supposed have started in 2022/12, their page has not been updated since 2022/09.
That looks suspiciously like a Roulette 45 rpm record on there -- that may have been a clue! :cool::eek:
Do you know the story of Roulette Records and Morris Levy?
... or of Morris Levy and Jimmie Rodgers? :facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I realise my new TT fetish object (and I don't actually have a turntable, or any records) is better placed here. The clean lines of a Rega with enough additional technical eccentricity to make it interesting. I can say it costs more than my car, but I have a pretty cheap car. I haven't checked the whole thread, but some nice things posted here, fun to own.
That's a really sweet air bearing arm!
I'm not much of a fan of that table design, but the arm is a killer.
Sadly not very appropriate for the audiophile choice moving coil needles.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hi @Sal1950,
Can you explain (a bit) why that would be?
Just out of curiosity and not that I am going rush down to the store to get me one!;)
In short, the very light arm assembly and near frictionless design of the air bearing is most appropriately mated to high compliance cartridges like the moving magnet designs best shown by Shure and Stanton of the time. This allows them to track well at 1g, thus lowering wear on both the LP and needle. Other factors also become involved.
Low compliance cartridges (moving coils) should be mated to high mass tonearms for best results.
A long and complicated subject on which many opinions rest.
Here's a little deeper explanation on the subject. ;)

dr0ss

All of the operations of my record player are fully electronic. I even have a repeat button. Obviously you have to put on the record yourself, but everything else after that could be done with a remote.

That's the DP-47F? My wife has a slightly older/cheaper/less automatic Denon that is dead and doesn't seem repairable. (Downside of all the electronics.) Can it select tracks using the remote? If so, how does it sense the location?

My much-lower-end Technics from the same period is all mechanical, and last summer I got everything working again, even the mechanical auto-repeat. It is in a vacation house, now I am back home and find using my (manual) turntable too tedious by comparison.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the DP-47F? My wife has a slightly older/cheaper/less automatic Denon that is dead and doesn't seem repairable. (Downside of all the electronics.) Can it select tracks using the remote? If so, how does it sense the location?
Sadly, it doesn't have a remote, nor was there ever one. I was just saying that it would have been possible, there is no good reason not to have it.

direwolf08

No cover?:oops:
My MK2 did not have that "reset" button on the 'pitch adj.'... but there was a detente on the slider when at '0' marking.
Cover is removable, it was just off for the picture/when I play records. The mk5 had the reset button on the pitch adjust.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Since no one has posted this one yet, here's my Denon DP-51F that I bought new in 1985. I have bought a Shure V15 Type IV in the previous year and got it installed in a Yamaha TT but moved it to the Denon when I got it. Later on I upgraded the needle to MR version which I still use. I bought a CD player right after that and did not use it much so I'm pretty sure the MR needle has only 100 - 200 hours on it. The TT was stored for almost 20 years until I took it back to use a couple of years ago.

In the pictures there's a prototype RIAA of my own design that I built in 1989. The tonearm is really something that you cannot get any longer, anywhere unless you find a Denon or perhaps a Sony from this era. It has active damping, tracking, anti-skating and stylus force with linear servos. These servos also lift and move the arm gracefully and silently.

Oh, this seems to also be my first post here although I have followed ASR almost three years now. :)

View attachment 214322

View attachment 214323

View attachment 214324

View attachment 214325
Just bought one of these , very nice, works well too

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder, if these active tonearm turntables were so good, why aren’t the high-end players today making similar versions? The technology is at least 30 years old now and surely many of the patents have expired. I don’t even see Chinese knockoffs.

How well did they measure back in those days?

Last edited:
Top Bottom