• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Goldenyears

We use this occasionally.
DSC_0001 (18).JPG

knobtwiddler

I agree. If you’re that pitch sensitive, go digital or fork out for the Nakamichi.

I collect test records. The variation in W+F between them is vast, as is the the difference between runs. Pressing a test record is fraught with danger, as the 1st run might have the centre punched nicely, but the second could be well off. I've seen people claim 0.025 W+F on the Tacet 2014 test record, but the example I've tested couldn't do better than 0.12% (>0.1 is considered audible).

The DS Audio gadget is certainly a nice toy to have and good luck to them for developing it, assuming it works as advertised. I like to have a glass of wine with my weekend vinyl session and I'm not sure that getting the hole punch out is compatible with my listening habits. Maybe I need the Nak...although recent sales prices are somewhat of a deterrent, as would be parts availability.

NB - the best TR I have gives 0.03% W+F (B+K from Denmark), and this is confirmed via testing on many TTs. The TT's inherent W+F will increase the overall reading, but speaking as someone who's auditioned numerous TRs for the purpose, I've found that the hole centring of the record in question invariably swamps any qualities of the deck itself, assuming the deck is in VGC. I know that a 'good deck' with the B+K gives 0.03, so more and I think deck needs a service. The best method to test W+F is optically, taking hole centres out of the equation. However, all bets are off once you place a mystery record on the deck and the measurement becomes academic... But we aren't bothered about that which is purely academic, or we wouldn't come here in the first place -)

SCR

Forum Donor
There seems to be a TD 124 MKII missing in this wonderful thread. Here are some photos of mine, it came installed in a custom plinth which according to the story was build by Ortofon for a Hifi show in 1966. The acryl dust cover can be pulled out to the front, turned 180º and then inserted at the bottom for storage (took me quite some time to discover this feature).

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

Last edited:

dr0ss

There seems to be a TD 124 MKII missing in this wonderful thread. Here are some photos of mine, it came installed in a custom plinth which according to the story was build by Ortofon for a Hifi show in 1966. The acryl dust cover can be pulled out to the front, turned 180º and then inserted at the bottom for storage (took me quite some time to discover this feature).
That dust cover is in amazing shape for its age!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good lord. I never knew Micro Seiki once created something like this - "Micro Seiki RX - 5000 full air system":

auto

Just noticed it in an audiogon add. Anyone familiar with this beast?

JP

Major Contributor
HiFido tried to sell me one once.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good lord. I never knew Micro Seiki once created something like this - "Micro Seiki RX - 5000 full air system":
AFAIK, the top tier Micro was the 8000 system, from 1980 or so. Consisting of the 8000 air bearing vacuum platter, 5500 motor unit, AX-10 arm base, and BA-600 system base. 135Kg. Suitable for whatever tonearm.

During my hi-fi days I never came across any of this sort of thing in the US. I vaguely recall an importer/distributor in California, but Micro product was always rare, out in the field. This, in spite of the company actually offering a full range of record players. The only unit I ever encountered more than one or two times was their DDX-1000, direct drive, which could support up to three tonearms. I remember some audio stores using it for cartridge A/B demos.

I read somewhere that the man responsible for the half million dollar Tech Das turntables had something to do with the original Micro Seiki operation, but I can't say anything about that for certain.

sx-8000-h.jpg

JP

Major Contributor
Same arm have on my Nak. Cool kit.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's a stock pic of my Music Hall Stealth, which I bought to be more "other person" friendly than my previous VPI Scout. I considered the 1210GR, but really didn't want the DJ look. I used to have a pair of 1210mk2 back in my part-time DJ days. Simple, but industrial too at the same time with the VTA tower (which doesn't really work as advertised for me, as if you loesen the nut to adjust it, the tonearm geometry moves a bit radially., which you then have to set again)

music-hall-stealth-turntable-top-front-ps-rtw-3656.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Very pretty but tonearm tube made of wood?
Keith

notsodeadlizard

MRC01

Major Contributor
What's wrong with wood?
Wood's dimensions and stiffness can vary with environmental conditions like temperature and humidity. Also it can degrade over time (dry out, crack, etc.).

For example high precision rifles avoid the use of wood stocks for this reason. As the wood changes, it exerts different forces on the barrel or receiver which changes the point of impact. Of course rifles are used outdoors where environmental conditions vary more than inside your house. So maybe wood is OK in such a controlled environment, so long as the wood is sealed or properly maintained (doesn't dry out, crack, etc.).

Top Bottom