• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I always lusted after one of those, they just look so Kool!
And they really are at least as good as an AR XA, easier to use and, as you said, really cool looking. Live with one for a couple of years, rocking a big corner coaxial speaker in the corner of the kitchen. I remember playing Clash records and "Einstein on the Beach" while washing the dishes and sweeping the floor.

Martinvb

Post a picture of a vinyl lathe that you think looks good.:D

Performance information, optional. I am most interested in some nice pictures. How vinyl sounds is of secondary importance. For me anyway.:)

Feel free to tell us about your youth's vinyl player. Take a trip down memory lane.
Something positive, for example, do you remember the first record you bought for your own money? Or something negative, for example those damn grounding problems and the hum sound that never really disappeared despite how many wires you pulled into the heating element or when you saw with a tear in your eye when the record store closed in the place where you live (you might think it was good, avoid the scratch and fuss with vinyl).

Some stories about vinyl and vinyl players quite simply.:)

My turntable from my teens. And Thorens TD 166 MkII. Is not anything remarkable or so but it was my turntable. Yummy. Did I think then ..:p
(not my one in the picture but that model)
View attachment 157326
Still have the D version of this classic in my standard setup, listen to it almost every day and lovin’ it…

Attachments

• B50ACAA7-9A09-4F45-A866-1F8640C3AE39.jpeg
    B50ACAA7-9A09-4F45-A866-1F8640C3AE39.jpeg
    770.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I always lusted after one of those, they just look so Kool!
Or the later/'spensiver 698 with touch controls a la Philips GA-212/312 (e.g.) -- although only for cueing, I guess, in the case of the Empire.

maxresdefault.jpg

borrowed image -- probably needless to say ;)

Chazz6

This is a Pioneer PL-112D I bought for two figures. Paid about the same for the elliptical cartridge shown in the photo, but low three figures for the AT-VM95ML/H on it now.

The Pioneer specs claim:
Wow and flutter: 0.07%
Signal to noise ratio: >63dB
This is better than the specs for a new Audio-Technica LP140XP, for example:
Wow and Flutter : <0.2%
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >50 dB

I measured RPM speed with a couple of those apps that use the gyro in your tablet or smartphone, getting reports of accurate to 0.02% on a tablet, +-1.6% on a smartphone.

Tonearm leveling is quite sensitive to the rotation of the counterweight, a good sign.

All in all, I will keep this "vintage" equipment as long as it performs well.

A record will be in good condition or poor condition. But a .flac of the same recording, if available, will be done well or poorly. The vinyl might be the best rendition you can get of a piece that you want.

Pioneer112D.JPG

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A record will be in good condition or poor condition. But a .flac of the same recording, if available, will be done well or poorly. The vinyl might be the best rendition you can get of a piece that you want.
I hear that put forward all the time to support spending money on vinyl but how often in the real world does this occur? One in 5 or 10 million recordings? I can't say cause I've never experienced a LP since my first CD that I would rather put up with all of the mediums weaknesses for what, a couple extra db of DR? That can't be heard anyway under vinyls surface noise and all the rest.
:facepalm:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Chazz6

View attachment 190113

I prefer an LP that was mixed well at the point of creation to a CD that was remixed by someone who botched the job. That happens far more often than the guess-tistic stated above.

The cartridge colors: the photo with the green one, an elliptical, was taken before putting in the ML, which is red.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A 28 foot tall, 4 ton, Little Nipper in Albany NY.
Good Ole Pooch.
UEc.jpg

TimF

Forum Donor
Post a picture of a vinyl lathe that you think looks good.:D

Performance information, optional. I am most interested in some nice pictures. How vinyl sounds is of secondary importance. For me anyway.:)

Feel free to tell us about your youth's vinyl player. Take a trip down memory lane.
Something positive, for example, do you remember the first record you bought for your own money? Or something negative, for example those damn grounding problems and the hum sound that never really disappeared despite how many wires you pulled into the heating element or when you saw with a tear in your eye when the record store closed in the place where you live (you might think it was good, avoid the scratch and fuss with vinyl).

Some stories about vinyl and vinyl players quite simply.:)

My turntable from my teens. And Thorens TD 166 MkII. Is not anything remarkable or so but it was my turntable. Yummy. Did I think then ..:p
(not my one in the picture but that model)
View attachment 157326
Oh....I had one of those.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After months of begging her to not get one (lol), I ordered for my mother-in-law a Denon DP-400--one of the company's newer models--to go with the Sonos system I set up for her. (I needed something with a built-in phono stage and under $500.) I even got her a Tidal subscription to convince her that she didn't need a turntable for the 20 or so classic rock LPs that she owns. But as you probably know, the mother-in-law always wins. At least it looks nice.

61w2qVuJ6zL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I agonized over a sea of miserable specs in order to find her a decent turntable for the money and as far as I can tell this is it. Main specs are 0.1% WRMS W/F and 62 dB S/N ratio (website says 0.08% and 65 dB, however). Obviously, I had to measure it so here are the preliminary results:

Regina2.jpg

Note that the above is a subjective selection of moment I think is best representative of the signal measurement.

Denon DP-400 · Tecet Vinyl Check.png

Finally, the generic cartridge:
DENON 00D9410037907 - DP-400.png

Overall it doesn't seem too bad.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OK check it out, you guys finally suckered in, I got me a record player too.
Now as soon as I rebuild and retube the amp, rebuild and adjust the turntable mechanics, install a new needle, and do a spit shine and polish of everything, I can join the crew here listening to the glorious sound of vinyl and tubes all at the same time. :p
Then if that doesn't work out, I'll empty a full clip of 40 Smith & Wessons into it. ;) Snap, Crackle, Pop here I come. LOL
IMG_3090.JPG

JP

Major Contributor
After months of begging her to not get one (lol), I ordered for my mother-in-law a Denon DP-400--one of the company's newer models--to go with the Sonos system I set up for her. (I needed something with a built-in phono stage and under $500.) I even got her a Tidal subscription to convince her that she didn't need a turntable for the 20 or so classic rock LPs that she owns. But as you probably know, the mother-in-law always wins. At least it looks nice.

View attachment 190207

I agonized over a sea of miserable specs in order to find her a decent turntable for the money and as far as I can tell this is it. Main specs are 0.1% WRMS W/F and 62 dB S/N ratio (website says 0.08% and 65 dB, however). Obviously, I had to measure it so here are the preliminary results:

View attachment 190209
Note that the above is a subjective selection of moment I think is best representative of the signal measurement.

View attachment 190275

Finally, the generic cartridge:
View attachment 190211
Overall it doesn't seem too bad.
What caused the glitch in the old plot?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this contraption used for actual records, or for masters that are then used to press records?
It's the Rek-O-Kut Challanger. For that unparalleled Direct to Disc 'nothing can touch it' sonic experience. Exactly like Doug Sax used to do it, but different. Below links to a sort of FAQ mentioning the machine.

I must warn you, however, that not unlike reloading (obtaining primers and all that other ancillary stuff) obtaining blanks for this machine might be a challenge. But that's the name of the machine, after all--so you sort of expect that. Plus, you probably won't blow yourself up making homemade records, so you'll be ahead of the game, there. And the blanks will not nearly be as deadly as the ones used on that movie set, a few months ago.

On the other hand, once you cut your first disc, you can bet that it'll pack the same sonic wallop as a .40 S&W... or at least the same wollop as Amanda McBroom singing on that record you used to hear all the time at the high-end boutiques. And you won't need earplugs. :cool:

81aM6-iWX+L._SY355_.jpg

Top Bottom