• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

dumpingg

How do we go about getting the mod installed for the new units? I just got a new unit delivered.
did you open the case to see if your shield is already there? call monoprice tech support, I think they plan on having DIY kits available if you want to install the shield yourself.

howarmat

I got unit the other day with June 2022 manufacture date. I looked through the grates and couldnt see the mod applied which I expected giving the date it was built so I submitted a request as was told the following

Regarding your inquiry, we do not offer parts replacement or repair with our amplifiers. Instead, we replace the whole unit if under the replacement warranty. If you are experiencing this issue, please let us know so we can check the options to work with.

So I guess I will have to try to get them another route by calling or chat. Im not sending a brand new unit back just for them to apply the mod.

dumpingg

I got unit the other day with June 2022 manufacture date. I looked through the grates and couldnt see the mod applied which I expected giving the date it was built so I submitted a request as was told the following

So I guess I will have to try to get them another route by calling or chat. Im not sending a brand new unit back just for them to apply the mod.
Here is what I am seeing in the Q&A on the monolith web site for the M8125x item:

Are you currently shipping the units that have the xlr to rca fix? It was reported on AVS website but haven’t heard anything as of late.

BEST ANSWER: It has not been implemented in these units, but we can send out a kit to you that can be installed. This is only applicable if you are going to use an XLR to RCA adapter. If connecting XLR to XLR, no need to have fix.

howarmat

Here is what I am seeing in the Q&A on the monolith web site for the M8125x item:

Are you currently shipping the units that have the xlr to rca fix? It was reported on AVS website but haven’t heard anything as of late.

BEST ANSWER: It has not been implemented in these units, but we can send out a kit to you that can be installed. This is only applicable if you are going to use an XLR to RCA adapter. If connecting XLR to XLR, no need to have fix.

Yep that is what I saw as well and why I message them. I didnt mention that reply in the Q&A but I think I will email them back with that and then see what they say. I think this might be an instance where the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing so hopefully I can get it straightened out quickly enough

dumpingg

Internal view of the M8125x for anyone that is curious.
P1180720_DXO.jpg

ryaneagon

I've been living with the Monolith by Monoprice M8125x 8x100 for about a month now. I picked it up from the Ebay Monoprice store when they had a sale going on at $1,200. Ebay also gave me another $60 off! I had it in the cart for a day or so, Monoprice sent me an offer for $1,139.00, too good to turn down. Especially now not even a month later they are $1999. I have it hooked up Via XLR to an Anthem AVM70 with a 5.2.2 system, all new (to me) Polk Reserve and Legend Series. r700 fronts, L400 Center, R100 surrounds, and R900 height speakers, soon adding two Rythmik E15" subwoofer. :0 The Amp is dead silent, even when I turn the processor up all the way (with no content) The Polk LCR are rated at 4ohm, and lower. The Monolith handles them without a sweat! Honestly, I'm surprised at how much headroom I have. The loudest I could bear for a few minutes was -15, normally I'm listening at -35 to -30, sometimes more or less. Anyway, I thought I may want to get the Monolith 200x3 for the front LCR, but now I don't think so, unless I plan on adding more speakers I think I'm pleased. Doesn't get hot, actually doesn't even get warm, honestly, I think the Anthem processor gets warmer, surprised with that as well. Cheers!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been living with the Monolith by Monoprice M8125x 8x100 for about a month now. I picked it up from the Ebay Monoprice store when they had a sale going on at $1,200. Ebay also gave me another $60 off! I had it in the cart for a day or so, Monoprice sent me an offer for $1,139.00, too good to turn down. Especially now not even a month later they are $1999. I have it hooked up Via XLR to an Anthem AVM70 with a 5.2.2 system, all new (to me) Polk Reserve and Legend Series. r700 fronts, L400 Center, R100 surrounds, and R900 height speakers, soon adding two Rythmik E15" subwoofer. :0 The Amp is dead silent, even when I turn the processor up all the way (with no content) The Polk LCR are rated at 4ohm, and lower. The Monolith handles them without a sweat! Honestly, I'm surprised at how much headroom I have. The loudest I could bear for a few minutes was -15, normally I'm listening at -35 to -30, sometimes more or less. Anyway, I thought I may want to get the Monolith 200x3 for the front LCR, but now I don't think so, unless I plan on adding more speakers I think I'm pleased. Doesn't get hot, actually doesn't even get warm, honestly, I think the Anthem processor gets warmer, surprised with that as well. Cheers!
Nice set-up!

howarmat

Monoprice did end up sending out the little shields to me after a second email to them. So kudos to great service from them.

DWG

@howarmat Which model do you have? How difficult was the installation? Who did you send the e-mail to? While I am using XLR-XLR cables and have no issues I'd like to install the shield in case my situation changes.

howarmat

@howarmat Which model do you have? How difficult was the installation? Who did you send the e-mail to? While I am using XLR-XLR cables and have no issues I'd like to install the shield in case my situation changes.
I just sent a message via the monoprice customer service and showed them the response on the review from their CS. I have the M8125x but havent installed the clips. Its just removing a screw and that is all really.

jimk1963

Not super familiar with "B-Stock", that's all Monoprice has in stock at the moment re: the 8125X. Asking $1599, which is frustrating when I see others purchased new stock for $200-300 less on sale. From what I've gathered, B-Stock are RMA'd units that have gone through some level of refurbishment. The only negative I've found in the forums is that if you purchase a B-Stock item, then if a warranty replacement is needed later, you have to wait for another B-Stock item to become available. One guy said he's been waiting for a year... yikes.

Descartes

Major Contributor
How does it compare to the Buckeye also using the 8 channel
NC252MP Power, all channels driven:
  • 180w per channel @ 2ohms
  • 250w per channel @ 4ohms
  • 150w per channel @ 8ohms

dumpingg

The monolith unit has heavy duty heat sinks/fins that will help the modules from going into thermal limiting or shutdown under susained heavy current draw (if such a situation would ever even occur). Otherwise both the buckeye and monolith units used the same hypex modules and should perform exactly the same. The difference in the monolith specs and buckeye specs are just in how they call the specs under differing distortion assumptions.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Buckeye has a custom input buffer board.

1686617382758.jpeg

1686617331122.jpeg

Descartes

Major Contributor
The Buckeye has a custom input buffer board.

View attachment 291880
View attachment 291879
Monoprice has a five year warranty

To be clear are these standard or options?

- Neutrik XLR connectors
- Gold plated 5-way speaker binding posts
- Clipping Indication (via Front Power LED)
- Error Indication (via Front Power LED)
- Muted Soft-start/shutdown (minimizes speaker “pop” when turning on and off)
- Auto Sensing On/Off
- 12v trigger On/Off

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monoprice has a five year warranty

To be clear are these standard or options?

- Neutrik XLR connectors
- Gold plated 5-way speaker binding posts
- Clipping Indication (via Front Power LED)
- Error Indication (via Front Power LED)
- Muted Soft-start/shutdown (minimizes speaker “pop” when turning on and off)
- Auto Sensing On/Off
- 12v trigger On/Off
Standard

Descartes

Major Contributor
Does anyone knows the power consumption of the amplifier? I am trying to figure out if my 15amp breaker will support the entire system!

howarmat

Does anyone knows the power consumption of the amplifier? I am trying to figure out if my 15amp breaker will support the entire system!
I didnt put a meter on it but so far it has not tripped a 15 amp breaker with a TV, marantz receiver, 2 4 bay NAS drives, xfinity box, xbox, and about 3 other devices. I have all the AV stuff hooked up to a 1500KV Battery/Surge and it also does not activate that like my previous yamaha did so its less consumption than what my Yamaha 3060 had on power on.

DWG

The power draw of an amplifier varies with the sensitivity and impedance of your speakers and how loud you like to listen. Under normal listening conditions you should have no issues. Also a 15 amp breaker is not going to trip the very instant that 15A goes through it. There is a time/current curve that has to be met before trip takes place.

If your intent is to place load resistors on all eight channels and run each up to full load using a signal generator (like Amir would), then all bets are off and there is a good chance that you'll trip your 15A breaker.

I'm using the 8250 amplifier (only five channels though) with relatively low sensitivity (87 dB) speakers and at concert levels I've has no issues.

Top Bottom