• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie looking for best pair of headphones in £100-£150 range

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beyerdynamic DT770 / 32 Ohm.
Sturdy, comfortable, prominent but not overpowering bass, used in many studios, pads and headband will be available for many years, closed and can be found in the requested price range.
There seems to be several versions:
32 Ohm, 80 Ohm, 250 Ohm?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Indeed, they measure and sound somewhat different as well.
For portable usage the 32 Ohm is most sensitive and works well from a phone, the 80 Ohm is less sensitive, the 250 Ohm even more so.

HERE one can find the efficiency ratings of most popular headphones:
Look for the dB/V rating to compare.
The dB/mW rating should be ignored.

THW

Forum Donor
You can easily find the Audio Technica MSR7 in that price range. It is on the bright side but is an excellent pair of headphones.

Don’t have the MSR7 but the MSR7b mainly because for me it looks better and according to reviews is more comfortable which is important for me.

I do like the MSR7b a lot myself, leans on the brighter side but isn’t particularly piercing. I use the HD600 most often if that’s any decent indication of the level of treble I’m used to.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
hmmm didn't know that.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The lastest review sample was bought as well (by skies) and performed exactly the same as the ones I got.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t have the MSR7 but the MSR7b mainly because for me it looks better and according to reviews is more comfortable which is important for me.

I do like the MSR7b a lot myself, leans on the brighter side but isn’t particularly piercing. I use the HD600 most often if that’s any decent indication of the level of treble I’m used to.

I haven't listened to the the MSR7b but if it is an evolutionary improvement of the original it will be a terrific product. Here in the UK Audio Technica never seem to have managed to establish their headphone range in quite the way of Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG (or Sony, Beats or Bose) despite a heritage of making well engineered and good performing headphones. Odd. The MSR7 models have sat in a real sweet spot in terms of performance per $, I think they're superb.

THW

Forum Donor
I haven't listened to the the MSR7b but if it is an evolutionary improvement of the original it will be a terrific product. Here in the UK Audio Technica never seem to have managed to establish their headphone range in quite the way of Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG (or Sony, Beats or Bose) despite a heritage of making well engineered and good performing headphones. Odd. The MSR7 models have sat in a real sweet spot in terms of performance per $, I think they're superb.

If its of any help, using the Sonarworks correction for the MSR7 on my MSR7b actually makes them somewhat sound like my HD 600.

I’m not that great a listener though so it would be better if you tried it out yourself.

Edit: If you have appropriate EQ software and don’t like how Sonarworks changes the entire FR, really the only thing that you need to do when EQing the MSR7b is to tame that 10kHz spike, that makes quite the difference

Last edited:

Eurasian

Forum Donor
Don't know if they are still available, but two weeks ago I bought a set of NIB NAD VISIO 50s for $114 freight included from an Amazon vendor.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AudioTechnica M40x hands down - closed, bass slightly boosted, they have V-shaped FR aka fun phones, cable is detachable, third party cables with mic r available etc.

Name

I own the above Philips SHP9500S as well as Denon AH-D2000, and Sennheiser HD650 and a few other nice headphones. If I were really limited on budget and could only choose one headphone it would probably be the Philips. They have a similar sound to the HD650 to me, though obviously not as good.

Top Bottom