• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for first pair of home studio monitors (Video Editor)

coreking

Hello.

For context, I work as a full time video editor and often times I have to deal with a little sound mixing on my projects. These include voice EQ, sound effects and music.

At this point I'm using my Macbook Pro speakers and Hyperx Cloud II to mix. Of course this might be the worst combination to get a decent mix, but that's what I have at now at home and that's why I've decided to make an upgrade and purchase a new pair of headphones and studio monitors.

Mainly working remotely at home in a kinda small room (4,5 meters x 2,5 meters) and have no room treatment for sound.

For headphones, I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic 770 pro 80 Ohm as I've seen many people recommending them.

Studio monitors are where my doubts come in and need your help. I know that I need a flat sound but that's as far as my knowledge goes in audio field.

Some of the monitors I've been looking for my tight budget: 150€ (I live in Europe)

Presonus Eris 3.5 (2nd gen)
Edifier MR4-2.0
M-Audio BX4

Also worth mentioning that I'm much more used to edit on headphones so therefore the speakers will serve as more of a reference.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Very much not flat (link):
CEA2034 -- PreSonus Eris E3.5 2ng Gen.png

Edifier MR4-2.0
Passable (link):
CEA2034 -- Edifier MR4 Powered Monitor.png

M-Audio BX4
Not great (link):
1646421295662.png

What are you thoughts?
I'd look for a used pair of JBL 305P MKII speakers:
Screenshot_20231015-152021_Chrome.png CEA-2034 -- JBL 305P MkII.png
(Link)

Last edited:
OP
C

coreking

Very much not flat (link):
View attachment 318996

Passable (link):
View attachment 318997

Not great (link):
View attachment 318999

I'd look for a used pair of JBL 305P MKII speakers:
View attachment 319003 View attachment 319004
(Link)

Thanks for the response and for the reviews you've posted here.

I've also come across the JBL's you mention, as they are very much recommended here and where I live, they go for 170€ used pair.

If those blow out the competition in this price range, this could be a better solution. Do I need an audio interface as well?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For context, I work as a full time video editor and often times I have to deal with a little sound mixing on my projects. These include voice EQ, sound effects and music.
At this point I'm using my Macbook Pro speakers and Hyperx Cloud II to mix. Of course this might be the worst combination to get a decent mix, but that's what I have at now at home and that's why I've decided to make an upgrade and purchase a new pair of headphones and studio monitors.
Mainly working remotely at home in a kinda small room (4,5 meters x 2,5 meters) and have no room treatment for sound.
For headphones, I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic 770 pro 80 Ohm as I've seen many people recommending them.
Studio monitors are where my doubts come in and need your help. I know that I need a flat sound but that's as far as my knowledge goes in audio field.
Some of the monitors I've been looking for my tight budget: 150€ (I live in Europe)
Presonus Eris 3.5 (2nd gen), Edifier MR4-2.0, M-Audio BX4
Also worth mentioning that I'm much more used to edit on headphones so therefore the speakers will serve as more of a reference.
What are your thoughts?
For audio production, I would get the Sony MDR-V6 headphones (used $50-$70 + $10 for ear pads).
Boring sound so very little biased
The 80-Ohm DT770 is a more U shaped sound and bassy (biased sound).
I just bought the Presonus Eris 3.5, they are fine for $100.
Edifier might be good.
BX4 ?, might take Presonus or Edifier over them.

twsecrest

I've also come across the JBL's you mention, as they are very much recommended here and where I live, they go for 170€ used pair.

If those blow out the competition in this price range, this could be a better solution. Do I need an audio interface as well?
The Macbook can be directly connected to the JBL, or other studio monitors.
But you can always budget for an external USB DAC.

Philbo King

You could probably drive them from the line-out of your PC audio.

OP
C

coreking

For audio production, I would get the Sony MDR-V6 headphones (used $50-$70 + $10 for ear pads).
Boring sound so very little biased
The 80-Ohm DT770 is a more U shaped sound and bassy (biased sound).
I just bought the Presonus Eris 3.5, they are fine for $100.
Edifier might be good.
BX4 ?, might take Presonus or Edifier over them.

I’ve tried the Sony’s some years ago but didn’t like the feeling on my head for long periods of time editing. Probably going for the BD’s and try them.

Also I will be buying the Edifiers. Was leaning to the Presonus before, but the more I research the more I find the Edifiers being superior for about the same price, but they eventually get to 80€ new sometimes.

Edit: Actually, since I'm working from home and not on a loud environment, I think the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro will be more suitable for me instead of the 770s, as it is an open-back.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Edit: Actually, since I'm working from home and not on a loud environment, I think the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro will be more suitable for me instead of the 770s, as it is an open-back.
Please don't. The DT990 Pro is ridiculously treble boosted:

While yes, the treble gets better after years of pad wear, there are simply better options available (HD560S, HE400se).
And speaking from personal experience, the DT990 Pro sounded very fuzzy/wooly to me and no EQ that I tried really improved things.

OP
C

coreking

Please don't. The DT990 Pro is ridiculously treble boosted:

While yes, the treble gets better after years of pad wear, there are simply better options available (HD560S, HE400se).
And speaking from personal experience, the DT990 Pro sounded very fuzzy/wooly to me and no EQ that I tried really improved things.

Thanks for the info and the alternatives.

Would like to ask you a question. Having this setup: MR4 + DT770 pro (or equal) + Macbook pro, do you think I need an audio interface?

If I want to connect my headphones I will use the 3.5mm directly on the laptop and if I want to use my studio monitors I will have to disconnect the headphones to connect them on the same 3.5mm port.

Or I can use the 3.5mm port that's on the front of 1 speaker of MR4 to connect my headphones and then I would only need to connect the MR4 to my laptop. Is this a good solution?

What do you think?

bfburkejr

Hello.

Edifier MR4-2.0
M-Audio BX4

What are your thoughts?
Samson Resolve 8" woofer, soft dome, bi amped, sub available, slot vent, great sound for beginner

juliusskinner

As a video editor, I mainly work on commercial and promotional videos. I've gone through a similar setup transition and understand the importance of good sound quality. I use a PC with dual monitors for editing, which helps me keep track of the video and audio tracks separately. For editing software, I use Movavi, which I find user-friendly and efficient for my workflow.

In terms of studio monitors, I think you're on the right track with the options you're considering. Given your room size and usage, the Presonus Eris 3.5 might be a good fit because of their compact size and flat response, which is great for accurate mixing.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some more food for thought.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Interfaces are mostly for recording but you do get line-outs and headphone out. But usually they are "parallel" so you can't turn one of them off. You could use your soundcard for one and an interface for the other (and switch with software).

There are "monitor controllers" but I don't know anything about them. But at a minimum a monitor controller should give you a handy volume-control knob.

I don't own proper monitors... I'm a JBL fan from the old days but I haven't heard the new "small" monitors. Also being "old school", to me 8-inches is barely a "woofer". ;)

Probably the most important thing with headphones is comfort and ideally you should check that personally. Pros generally recommend against using headphones as your main monitors or for judging sound character/quality. But a LOT of editing doesn't require that kind of accuracy and probably most of it can be done on headphones. And headphones are very-good for hearing little glitches/clicks, etc.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@coreking FYI Not a scam, it's charity. I got all kinds of SW here.

Top Bottom