• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New vs used HiFi, vote.

New HiFi vs used

• New HiFi only

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • 90% New HiFi

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • 70% New HiFi

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • 50% New HiFi

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • 30% New HiFi

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • 10% New HiFi

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Used HiFi only

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All my gear is new including headphones and the PC gear. I buy new because I don't like wearing headphones others have used and the PC gear is for audio, gaming and general internet use. I buy for 5-7+ years and then buy new stuff....

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mostly buy used, because the stuff I like to use hasn't been made for 30+ years, some a lot longer than that. This is especially true of turntables, Quadraphonic decoders and tape recorders.

Having said that, my amps, crossovers and EQ were bought new, as they were cheap enough so not worth doing without a warranty, but then as I keep stuff forever, only replacing anything that breaks beyond repair, I'm expecting them to last 25 years or more.

S

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
All of my equipment is new because mostly there's so much value in newer stuff compared to the past.
I agree and not at the same time.:)

I agree to the extent that if you now buy a new modern HiFi solution for X money and could have the opportunity to buy old HiFi (stuff unused in boxes) that is 30-40 years old. Converted to today's monetary value. Two different HiFi solutions new vs old, the same amount of money. The old HiFi had then probably not had a chance, in the form of good sound for the money.If in the theoretical scenario you buy new vs old for the same amount of money. With the new, you can also add various solutions via data, EQ, DSP and so on.:)

However, to buy new vs used with the factor value, in the form of economic value if you also mix in to sell. Well, If you form an idea of what HiFi is sold for in the used market, you can buy and sell used HiFi at more or less the same price. New HiFi, depreciation right from the time you buy it and start using it.

Example. Vintage amplifier NAD3020 are usually common in the used market. The world's best-selling amplifier. You can pretty quickly figure out what it is sold for where you live. What you then buy it for, you can then sell it for, if you feel like it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers are new. F208s and LSR308s for surround. Subs are used. Pre-pro is used, Wyred4Sound amps are used. Babyface and Antelope Audio Zen Tour for DACs and recording are used. Headphones new. Laptop computers used. Projector new.

Now the speakers purchased within the last year are the first new speakers I've had since 1982 or 40 years ago. Those were Klipsch. Since then just about all panels and all used. A couple different Maggies, Acoustat 2s, Quad ESL-57, Quad ESL 63, and Soundlab Aura all used. Some Revel F12s in a secondary system and various gear is all used. I purchased a receiver new in 1982 (which still works and I still have). I purchased one Meridian DAC new. Otherwise many power amps, a few preamps, lots of DACs, TT's all of it was used. I did also buy a Nakamichi cassette deck new.

In general it let me over time afford more and more expensive gear. I usually was able to buy a component use it for a period of time, and more or less break even selling it. Some of it I might use a year or two and lose $50, sometimes I'd make $50 and most of the time sell for what I paid for it. So the money I spent was accumulating rather than being a sunk cost. Buy a $300 amp for two years, sell it for $300 and buy a $500 amp. Rinse and repeat. You had to be careful with DACs however not to have them depreciate rapidly especially in the early days of digital. Which in those days meant I was turning over one about twice a year. Before the internet the mailed out audio classified publication called Audiomart is where I made most sales and purchases. Every now and again some local goods would show up various places. Like the Maggie MG3.5 R's on a handwritten ad on a bulletin board at the entrance to a grocery store.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any thoughts/experiences with refurbished? It’s technically used.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My main reasons for purchasing secondhand items would because they’re no longer available new, or because I can get them at significant discount. But well-worn Technics SL-2010 Mk 2 turntables at $700+ and entry-level Marantz stereo receivers at $500+ aren’t very tempting to me!

MCH

Major Contributor
I always check before buying, and it is very variable.
There are things you find used half the price even if still in production. Then there is gear that it is just not worth buying used because the price difference is very small (i.e. recent kef speaker models or anything minidsp) or none if you buy b-ware/open box (btw, does this count as used?)
At some point audiophonics was selling the umik-1 at 95 euros and people was asking 90-100 eur in ebay (??)

I find bware the best of both worlds, you still get warranty and possibility to return and sometimes the price is very very close to used.

sojun80

I agree and not at the same time.:)

I agree to the extent that if you now buy a new modern HiFi solution for X money and could have the opportunity to buy old HiFi (stuff unused in boxes) that is 30-40 years old. Converted to today's monetary value. Two different HiFi solutions new vs old, the same amount of money. The old HiFi had then probably not had a chance, in the form of good sound for the money.If in the theoretical scenario you buy new vs old for the same amount of money. With the new, you can also add various solutions via data, EQ, DSP and so on.:)

However, to buy new vs used with the factor value, in the form of economic value if you also mix in to sell. Well, If you form an idea of what HiFi is sold for in the used market, you can buy and sell used HiFi at more or less the same price. New HiFi, depreciation right from the time you buy it and start using it.

Example. Vintage amplifier NAD3020 are usually common in the used market. The world's best-selling amplifier. You can pretty quickly figure out what it is sold for where you live. What you then buy it for, you can then sell it for, if you feel like it.

Well in my area, plastic, rubber, caps all dry out (desert). Getting Revel speakers at the closeout price and class D amps is just a no brainer. Plus I have data on them all to know I have good equipment. Will they last? Maybe not but the price isn't that much either for what you are getting.

tvih

Main speakers and subwoofer were store demos, most recent purchase were used speakers, and my primary stereo amp was used. Everything else has been new - so of what I currently still have, that's two AVRs, DAC/HP amp, DAC/HP+speaker amp, 4 pairs of speakers, four headphones, USB-DAC (and 2 more if counting absolute cheapos), a Bluetooth to line-level adapter, a miniDSP 2x4 HD... and well, I suppose there's also a blu-ray player and probably one or two DVD players in storage somewhere.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Well in my area, plastic, rubber, caps all dry out (desert). Getting Revel speakers at the closeout price and class D amps is just a no brainer. Plus I have data on them all to know I have good equipment. Will they last? Maybe not but the price isn't that much either for what you are getting.
All hobbies cost money. New stuff losers in value. This applies to all things, not just HiFi but you have to live and have fun in this life.:)

OT:
Expensive hobby, old boats. My friend bought a 29 foot sailboat a few years ago. Cost to have the boat at the marina in the lake, entry and exit of the boat, winter storage only that around $ 1700 per year. Then old stuff, mechanics and water. It's going to be expensive. Replacement and repair of miscellaneous every year. Just open your wallet. But he thinks it's worth it.:)

His wife's hobby is knitting. Not so expensive.
..... and so on regarding hobbies.

Edit:
His wife also has their sailboat as a hobby. However, he has not knitting as a hobby, other than he uses her knitted sweaters. Attach a picture of the model of boat they have.:)

Attachments

• 6284461319.jpg
    6284461319.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only thing bought used was the Kef HTS 3001 SE Center channel, the LS 50's both OG and Metas were bought brand new as were the two SVS SB2000's. The amps (All three of them) were bought new, the DACs (both the Octo and the Khadas) were bought new, Both the HD 800 and the LCD-X were bought new, the THX AAA 789 was new, and finally the Smyth A16 Realizer was bought new (ouch!). I did buy an Emotiva XDA-2 Dac used and I used for a few years used. It's sitting the my closet, along with my Geek Out 1000 (bought new) which is in my sock drawer. Those are the only two pieces of equipment I've taken out of the rotation. Everything else i've bought in the last five years is working and in the rack.

And the Lg C1 OLED was bought new two months ago.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New: A&H Xone 4D, Topping D10, laptop.
Old: NAD C370, IMF compact II. Vandersteen model 1.

In 50 years time listening active to good Gear the laptop with DSP/ room correction did make a hugh difference at least 70% better sound taking my horrible acoustics in consideration.:facepalm: So best new gear is a measuring mic for just 38,- euro + mic stand

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Had Hi-fi, then had "lifestyle changes" - children - and some time off (subsisting on smart speakers).
Now all new, better (apart from one hiccough) and will soon become old. No need to change again (well ... Sub ... and the speakers ...)

Trell

Major Contributor
Nothing wrong with buying refurbished and usually it has a full factory warranty. Same holds true for open box items. Buying this way can save a fair amount of money.

Depends. Some complicated and complex electronics like an AVR could have intermittent problems that the refurbishing company could not reproduce or fix.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
AVR is new (previous ones were Refurbs) - Integra DRX 3.4

Power amps were all purchased used:
2 x Quad 606
2 x Crown XLS2500
1 x Quad 303 (not in current use... reserved for my ESL57's that need some work

Speakers
Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1 - used - they were the demo set from a retailer who sold loads of Nucleus Micro's but never sold a single set of the References
(with AV Ref center)
Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro - used
Quad ESL57 - used - pending some work

Turntables
Revox B795 - used
JVC QL-Y5f - used
Technics SL1600 - used
Phono Stage JLTI - New
Cartridges - too many to count - almost all Used
Styli - to fit cartridges - New Old Stock (there's a couple that were purchased lightly used from trusted sources... but these are the exception)

Cassette deck
Revox B215 - Used - pending work...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends. Some complicated and complex electronics like an AVR could have intermittent problems that the refurbishing company could not reproduce or fix.
This is why I would prefer to accomplish all the decoding, PEQing, DSPing, crossovering and bass managing on a PC (or Mac) with software, and just feed a multichannel PCM signal to a USB dac with eight or more channels.

Top Bottom