• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New vs used HiFi, vote.

New HiFi vs used

• New HiFi only

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • 90% New HiFi

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • 70% New HiFi

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • 50% New HiFi

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • 30% New HiFi

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • 10% New HiFi

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Used HiFi only

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
The HiFi you bought.As you now have and use.

How much new vs used HiFi do you have? In addition, feel free to tell us about your system based on that aspect.:)

Number of things, not its economic value. Even how often you use the stuff does not need to be weighed in other than that you will use them at some point. An old Tuner that is in the storage and has not been used for the last 30 years, you do not need to include in your estimate. It should be stuff, in the main system and secondary, and others, that you use.:)

In your estimation:
A pair of speakers is seen as one thing.
Cables, small kitchen radios, CDs, vinyl records are not included.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
The headphones, DAC and Headphone amp were bought new. Speakers, BluRay player and amp used. I'm going by estimated cost---biggest "new" cost would be for speakers and AVR, and those items got the biggest price reduction. Headphones bought "new", that is to say, bought as returns, sealed in box. The BluRay player bought used for $7, the replacement remote was $10. Sonance "Son of Sub" also used for $50, speakers are Infinity Primus 250s for $30, Yamaha AVR for $50. Bought the Topping E/L 30 combo, probably the biggest sonic upgrade of them all @ $300 the pair. The biggest spend was on headphones, went a little nuts as wired headphones were on the way out and wireless on the way in. Lots of clearance specials, resulting in about 6 pair right now of 'phones in the $150 to $200 neighborhood. Also have 2 Fiio DAPs and a portable Fiio headphone amp.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... I don't mind used, headphones, not much ... I live now uutside the USA and returns are problematic, an euphemism... I am forced to buy mostly new...

JaccoW

New:
Second-hand:
  • Turntable: Technics SL-1400 mk1
  • Reel-to-reel: Akai GX-635D (used to belong to my grandfather and has recently been restored)
  • Cassette deck: Akai GX-M10 (broken, needs new belts at least)
  • CD-transport: Marantz dv-6400
  • Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-X800M

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was really big into headphones I used to buy/sell used headphones, DACs, and amps a lot.

I got an RME ADI-2 DAC when it was fairly new and that basically make all other desktop "headphone DAC" AIOs obsolete so I haven't been cycling through as much electronic gear.

I'm shifting towards speakers now though and recently bought as used BSS BLU-160 as DSP Swiss army knife. The new prices are kinda insane.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I don't mind used at all, that's how I got my Polk S55's for dirt cheap. I have more used then new because value, especially these days. For example the Sony SSCS5 used to sale for between $75 and $130, and now Sony wants $150 to $230. The only thing I would buy new is TV's because I nitpick the specs hard and I don't buy a TV because "it looks good" just like how my father buys TV's.

Some things its literally better to get used like Tape Decks. New tape decks are just pure garbage compared to there older counterparts. Also some things its just better to pay the extra $20 bucks for new because the used market of that product sucks ass (ex: DACs).

Katji

Major Contributor
Used headphones are like buying 2nd hand underpants in a thrift store. Let alone IEMs- that chit should never be sold...
Gross. That's why I wouldn't want to buy a used laptop. You can clean the keyboard but you need to open it too.
...That's why I like tap-to-pay.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Just to complicate it. You buy it an old amplifier, used. You then have a comprehensive recap / service performed on it. Lots of new electronic components into it.Is it then to be regarded as a new HiFi gadget or not?

Like this::)

Amir:
"It was bought by a member, sent to QuirkAudio to be fully updated and then loaned to me. The work that Peter has done is exemplary. The inside looks brand new! I have repaired hundreds of amplifiers but never seen one this clean! So not only have the inside components been updated / replaced, but a lot of care has gone to cosmetically clean the unit."

Robin L

Master Contributor
Just to complicate it. You buy it an old amplifier, used. You then have a comprehensive recap / service performed on it. Lots of new electronic components into it.Is it then to be regarded as a new HiFi gadget or not?

Like this::)

Amir:
"It was bought by a member, sent to QuirkAudio to be fully updated and then loaned to me. The work that Peter has done is exemplary. The inside looks brand new! I have repaired hundreds of amplifiers but never seen one this clean! So not only have the inside components been updated / replaced, but a lot of care has gone to cosmetically clean the unit."

Not really. I did an overhaul on a Marantz 8B once, did sound different but not better.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t personally mind buying used especially if the item is relatively new and the type of gear. I figure 25 year old amp is probably going to need work at some point. Hopefully this is not off topic but am curious about user experiences with refurbished gear?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Not really. I did an overhaul on a Marantz 8B once, did sound different but not better.
If you replace everything, you have created a new thing. Then nothing of the old remains.

If you replace half ... 80% ... 95% ..99% .. so ...It is probably mostly a question of interpretation then, I can guess.:)

Robin L

Master Contributor
If you replace everything, you have created a new thing. Then nothing of the old remains.

If you replace half ... 80% ... 95% ..99% .. so ...It is probably mostly a question of interpretation then, I can guess.:)
You can't replace the transformers in an old tube amp and most of the "old tube sound" is on account of the transformers.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
You can't replace the transformers in an old tube amp and most of the "old tube sound" is on account of the transformers.
Exactly my point, or my question. If it can be done, what have you created then?

Okay, it was a bit OT. :)

Edit
Addition. Restorer-john, I do not see you as Dr. Moreau.;)

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
8 items over 2 systems, 4 items bought second-hand, third hand or unknown number of hands, including the speakers in both systems.

Really good speakers cost too much for me to be happy paying retail price for them and they are probably the least-risk item to buy used, as long as you can get a listen to them before handing over the cutter.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Exactly my point, or my question. If it can be done, what have you created then?

Okay, it was a bit OT. :)

Edit
Addition. Restorer-john, I do not see you as Dr. Moreau.;)
Not that at all. Despite the quasi-legendary status of the 8B, its sound is its transformers, and not great except for female vocals, where it shined. The Scott 299b was better overall, but transformer coupled tube gear is smoother than reality, thanks to those transformers.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
By the way. Used, a lot of preformance for the money, you might think, but as with anything else. My used car, at the car doctor (see attached picture):oops:
Nothing new said with that. Everyone knows what it's like.It's a bit of a gamble.:)

When buying used HiFi. You who write in the thread, for you this is bascic but for those who read. Investigate the gadget online. Common faults, cost to repair. Any cost to replace old parts. IF a recap might be worth investing in, that regardining old amps. Check with experienced knowledgeable, ask them. An example. Old speaker elements that have foam edges in the bass speaker diaphragm. It is not a question if rather when they need to be replaced. It is not a question sooner or later. It's sooner.

Edit:
Submit stuff to a professional repairer who charges per hour = expensive.
Cars wear in a different way than HiFi stuff. Best to add.:)

Attachments

• IMG_20220701_151556.jpg
    IMG_20220701_151556.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
By the way. Used, a lot of preformance for the money, you might think, but as with anything else. My used car, at the car doctor (see attached picture):oops:
Nothing new said with that. Everyone knows what it's like.It's a bit of a gamble.:)

When buying used HiFi. You who write in the thread, for you this is bascic but for those who read. Investigate the gadget online. Common faults, cost to repair. Any cost to replace old parts. If a recap might be worth investing in, that regardining old amps. Check with experienced knowledgeable, ask them. An example. Old speaker elements that have foam edges in the bass speaker diaphragm. It is not a question of but rather when they need to be replaced. It is not a question of sooner or later. It's sooner.

Edit:
Submit stuff to a professional repairer who charges per hour = expensive
Definitely agree. I have a pair of B&W CM4s in the basement I would only sell to someone with the caveat that they are known to have cracking issues with the rubber surrounds. One of them is brittle but not cracked. I am fortunate to not “need” the money but not everyone has a conscience. repairing the surrounds is not a small 5 minute fix.

Indy

Most of my equipment is new but I purchased a used pre-pro for a great price. Unit looks like new.

Top Bottom