• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony MDR-MV1 - Professional Open Back Headphones

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This does not happen very often : Sony just released new professional / reference (and open back) headphones:
maxresdefault (2).jpg

sony-mdr-mv1-01.jpg

Feature7_v2.jpg
Feature5_v2.jpg
Feature2.jpg

mdr.jpg
Feature6.jpg

sony-mdr-mv1-02.jpg

MSRP seems to be about 400$, as for EU, it is already listed at Thomann for 474€:

Specs:

Type

Open back, Dynamic

Driver unit
40 mm (1.58 in)

Power handling capacity
1500 mW (IEC)

Impedance
24Ω at 1 kHz

Sensitivity
100 dB/mW

Frequency response
5 Hz - 80 000 Hz (IEC)

Mass
Approx. 223 g (7.87 oz) without cable

Included items
Stereo Headphones, Headphone cable (approx. 2.5 m (98.43 in), stereo phone plug), Plug adaptor (approx. 20 cm (1.58 in), stereo phone jack↔ stereo mini plug)

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
From the pictures, no pentaconn jack ?

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
24Ω seems to be an odd choice for a dynamic headphone built for studios, where high output impedance headphone amps are still pretty common.
I second this...

From the pictures, no pentaconn jack ?
Nope. 6.3mm SE jack on the amp end (they could have it balanced, tho, since the headphones jack is 4 poles)

Last edited:

okok

looks no good, no more than $20, better go check the bin stores

Fregly

They do not provide a frequency graph, unless I missed it, so right it away my scepticism kicks in. I assume it's crap without measurements. The is just the basics if one is a rational agent.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

There seems to be a personalized HRTF option for recording/mastering/mixing engineers who live in LA, NY, and Tokyo.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They do not provide a frequency graph, unless I missed it, so right it away my scepticism kicks in
So far, most, if any FR graphs provided by headphones manufacturers have been proven either wrong or unusable (overly compensated or smoothed, very high vertical amplitude)... So, AFAIC, I do not care if they publish some or not. What I do need for are tiers measurements, preferably from different sources.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so sure about that connecting 3.5mm or 2.5mm 4 conductor jack on the headphone cup. The retention spring strength of those connectors usually is not meant for vertical loading with movement and tugging.
index.php

Tremolo

40 years and the look of sony's "pro" headphones hasn't changed much. I hope they have bigger cups and sound better than v6

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Not so sure about that connecting 3.5mm or 2.5mm 4 conductor jack on the headphone cup. The retention spring strength of those connectors usually is not meant for vertical loading with movement and tugging.

It is threaded.

"The connection part to the main unit is detachable with a screw system, allowing for secure connection and cable replacement."

Top Bottom