• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know what the iphone app is called for these receivers? I only found Music Center but it doesn't detect my receiver
Supposed to be the Music Center app. Wouldn’t be surprised if you need to wait for an update given how rough this launch has been.

mattsrs

Apple AirPlay it also has a built in Chromecast

Thanks but I am interested in controlling the receiver things such as volume etc using my phone. Annoying thing is that with all receivers ( Denon, Onkyo and now Sony), the on screen display doesn't show when I play Call of Duty. May have to do something with HDR stuff. But the result is that if I want to see what sound field I am using or whats the volume, it is impossible and my receiver is hidden in a rack closet so cannot read from the display

The Guy who cares

Thanks but I am interested in controlling the receiver things such as volume etc using my phone. Annoying thing is that with all receivers ( Denon, Onkyo and now Sony), the on screen display doesn't show when I play Call of Duty. May have to do something with HDR stuff. But the result is that if I want to see what sound field I am using or whats the volume, it is impossible and my receiver is hidden in a rack closet so cannot read from the display
You can always download the Sony's owners manual, it's free on Sony's Website. I downloaded and read it, lots of information there.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That’s disappointing. It means it cannot overlay text on top of 4k120/8k or whatever mode you are in. (Unless you are e-ARC). Best workaround is probably the web interface.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not everything is in the manual, kind of strange, I found it still useful.
Sony manuals are pretty lousy imho. Good for what they include and well-written English, but incomplete. Their TV manuals don’t make any mention of features like this:

The Guy who cares

Sony manuals are pretty lousy imho. Good for what they include and well-written English, but incomplete. Their TV manuals don’t make any mention of features like this:

I wonder what else one finds that's not mentioned in the manuals or in the brochures.

Last edited:

Joost80

This is probably because the receiver switches to game mode video processing and to minimize input lag the on screen display doesn't work. It's the same way on my 4800h. It works with the bluray player (which uses the video setting) but not with ps5 or Xbox SX. I haven't tried but I bet if I force the video processing from game or auto setting to video, it will show the on screen display with the consoles.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The Guy who cares

Yea its amazing but then stupid PS5 does not support Atmos for games so need to be upmixed by the receiver
If you look at the back Game is input #1. So the receiver when turning on automatically switches to input #1.
Screenshot_20230207-180326_YouTube.jpg

mattsrs

Was there ever a reason given why Sony opted out of Atmos support for the PS5?

They have their own Tempest 3D Audio for games that they are pushing. I think they are assuming competitive players use headphones but imo a good surround system is way more accurate than headphones. Here’s more about it

Top Bottom