• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol
There isn't much logic in this hobby
It's more emotional than rational
In my opinion this forum represents the logical part of the hobby.

You don't even need that much logic to conclude this speaker is not a good idea for typical home listening scenario. You could just email Genelec and ask if they would recommend this for your small room to enjoy some KPop in the evening and they would provide you with a very detailed and scientific answer in two words: "lol no".

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20231011_120944_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231011_120936_Gallery.jpg

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How is it better?
a bit flatter on axis, less distortion around 300-400Hz and seems like overall less distortion up to 96dB and down to 50Hz, cheaper and look better on top of W371A, which will take over any disadvantage 8351B have in the lowest bass anyway. The midrange and tweeter are the same so they should sound more or less the same with W371A, there's no point in paying more for 8361 in this combination. W371A is quite tall by itself so it only makes sense to put 83x1 horizontally, I even have them angled downwards a bit, otherwise they shoot over my head, with 83x1 standing vertically it is just way too high and the much bigger 8361 look weird horizontally, as they are much wider than the w371a.

Last edited:

StefanSweden

I have been following this thread with amusement, thinking that when my current system moves to another room I would buy active speakers as my main one. ~ 4000-5000$ is very doable and not that much .... then I realized its PER SPEAKER?!!? :facepalm: Im in the wrong hobby.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I have been following this thread with amusement, thinking that when my current system moves to another room I would buy active speakers as my main one. ~ 4000-5000$ is very doable and not that much .... then I realized its PER SPEAKER?!!? :facepalm: Im in the wrong hobby.
The 8381 is $32K per monitor :)

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
a bit flatter on axis, less distortion around 300-400Hz and seems like overall less distortion up to 96dB and down to 50Hz, cheaper and look better on top of W371A, which will take over any disadvantage 8351B have in the lowest bass anyway. The midrange and tweeter are the same so they should sound more or less the same with W371A, there's no point in paying more for 8361 in this combination. W371A is quite tall by itself so it only makes sense to put 83x1 horizontally, I even have them angled downwards a bit, otherwise they shoot over my head, with 83x1 standing vertically it is just way too high and the much bigger 8361 look weird horizontally, as they are much wider than the w371a.
If I'm not mistaken he meant how is 8351 with or without W371 better than 8381?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I'm not mistaken he meant how is 8351 with or without W371 better than 8381?
It's not unreasonable. The 8351 extends low enough that with many types of music the 8381 does not have an advantage there. We have already established that in many home listening scenarios SPL is not a problem either. Then we have the advantages of 8351 mentioned above.

Do some thinking yourself: in a small room with listening distance of 2,5m what exactly will you get from 8381 compared to 8351.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Interesting to see reactions of people who hear the truly neutral monitors for the first time, properly calibrated and working well in a room, with no SBIR, peaks in the response, or any desk between ears and monitors. Most of the stuff they miss are distortions of some kind, "outside of the speakers" are mostly just phase problems, "don't hear the highest end" is just neutral response, "too well behaved" is lack of resonances and flat response, "lack of microdynamics" is a combination of certain aspects like frequency response, compression, THD. While I use similar setup in my studio I wouldn't want that for home listening and I get in what they are talking about. At home I like my sub a bit too loud and diffused sound where I can't pinpoint where it's actually coming from

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Interesting to see reactions of people who hear the truly neutral monitors for the first time, properly calibrated and working well in a room, with no SBIR, peaks in the response, or any desk between ears and monitors. Most of the stuff they miss are distortions of some kind, "outside of the speakers" are mostly just phase problems, "don't hear the highest end" is just neutral response, "too well behaved" is lack of resonances and flat response, "lack of microdynamics" is a combination of certain aspects like frequency response, compression, THD. While I use similar setup in my studio I wouldn't want that for home listening and I get in what they are talking about. At home I like my sub a bit too loud and diffused sound where I can't pinpoint where it's actually coming from
How can you explain the "soundstage /image is only between the speakers " part? And the lack of treble they talk about ?

RobL

How can you explain the "soundstage /image is only between the speakers " part? And the lack of treble they talk about ?
Early reflections are what cause soundstage to expand beyond the speakers…maybe how they have set them up or the room is too dead or the 8381A’s have very narrow directivity?

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Their room seem absorbent on the side walls, so the sound doesn't bounce around sideways. There was a comment on very strong and mono like response, I heard this effect last week at my place, when I very precisely corrected both speakers so the sound in listening position measure the same. Mono signals are now much more in between speakers, there's no "halo" or stretch, it's a virtual point in space. Subjective lack of treble could be speakers angle, or they are just used to boosted or distorted highs and they miss it. Overall subjective reviews are useless, no one can know how it was really sounding in their room, they all have different background and previous experiences, they look at the speakers and aren't even comparing them to any baseline, auditory memory is very weak

Sokel

Master Contributor
Their room seem absorbent on the side walls, so the sound doesn't bounce around sideways. There was a comment on very strong and mono like response, I heard this effect last week at my place, when I very precisely corrected both speakers so the sound in listening position measure the same. Mono signals are now much more in between speakers, there's no "halo" or stretch, it's a virtual point in space. Subjective lack of treble could be speakers angle, or they are just used to boosted or distorted highs and they miss it. Overall subjective reviews are useless, no one can know how it was really sounding in their room, they all have different background and previous experiences, they look at the speakers and aren't even comparing them to any baseline, auditory memory is very weak
I would expect better from a sound engineer teacher:

teach.PNG

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I would expect better from a sound engineer teacher:

View attachment 318727

He uses NS10 and Adam monitors as claimed on his website, doesn't provide any client references or photos of his studio and have 46 likes on his facebook page, I don't know man, it still seems like it was his first time hearing good monitors. You'd be amazed how bad the control rooms usually sound and measure. Here's a glimpse of Metropolis studio from this review: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-8351b-w371a?amp
W371a helped tremendously

Attachments

• IMG_4531.jpeg
    IMG_4531.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4529.jpeg
    IMG_4529.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4530.jpeg
    IMG_4530.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited: