• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Monitor Audio flagship speaker - The Hyphn

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't consider 130 db listening a criteria for " good".... I value my hearing, at least to some degree...but power handling is a point... I'll stipulate to that... But not real sq upgrade vs premium $5000 gear...at least at 100db or less... Imo that's a fair comparison...

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor
I don't know of many 5000 systems capable of sustained 115 to 120 dB levels with ... AMT tweeters can be extraordinarily robust ...
But no data provided. Who knows how they understand terms and conditions in this competition of claims. AMT is again taken as a wonder which it is not. There is no reasonable use for these in modern designs.
I don't get why the industrial designers are given so much room today. The ugliness presented here, to my eye, is beyond comprehension. There is, up and down any imaginable level, no insight conveyed into the functionality of the device. It is pure idol, cargo cult. At least the believing customer is asked to sacrifice a fair amount of her life blood.

:facepalm:

pierre

Forum Donor
But no data provided. Who knows how they understand terms and conditions in this competition of claims. AMT is again taken as a wonder which it is not. There is no reasonable use for these in modern designs.
I don't get why the industrial designers are given so much room today. The ugliness presented here, to my eye, is beyond comprehension. There is, up and down any imaginable level, no insight conveyed into the functionality of the device. It is pure idol, cargo cult. At least the believing customer is asked to sacrifice a fair amount of her life blood.

:facepalm:
they claim 129dB (I suppose at peak at 1kHz with 10% distortion but that's still a lot. If the speaker can sustain it for some time, then that's an achievement. Can an AMT tweeter sustain 129dB (or even 115 continuously)? You need to get the largest Genelec (also 100kg+ with 2x15inches) to get the same and they are also ugly. Price is silly in any case.

LearningToSmile

Most hi-end speakers are ugly beyond comprehension.
The white looks a bit gaudy, but the black one is inoffensive, just different, and I actually have to say I like the green finish:
monitor-audio-hyphn-finishes.jpg

Not what I'd spend that kinda money on, but hey.

fineMen

Major Contributor
they claim 129dB (I suppose at peak at 1kHz with 10% distortion but that's still a lot. If the speaker can sustain it for some time, then that's an achievement. Can an AMT tweeter sustain 129dB (or even 115 continuously)? You need to get the largest Genelec (also 100kg+ with 2x15inches) to get the same and they are also ugly. Price is silly in any case.
Thanks, but nevertheless, why is it that we discuss such blurb? It is misleading at best. Is it that we would like to have a real choice to select and then also pay them, or not? For me such product is a phenomenon that points to somewhere else than in direction of audio. I leave it at that. :(

JSmith

Master Contributor
The white looks a bit gaudy, but the black one is inoffensive, just different, and I actually have to say I like the green finish: View attachment 283441
Not what I'd spend that kinda money on, but hey.
This is all I can think of about this design choice...

1683196679746.png
;)

JSmith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't unsee that now lol.

Last edited:

JRS

Major Contributor
I don't consider 130 db listening a criteria for " good".... I value my hearing, at least to some degree...but power handling is a point... I'll stipulate to that... But not real sq upgrade vs premium $5000 gear...at least at 100db or less... Imo that's a fair comparison...
Ive owned several 5000+ speakers, all under 10k. I've had the pleasure of hearing several systems that are clearly a cut well above in the 20 to 40k range. I would agree that there is likely an inflection point in bang per buck in the 5k range, but SOTA they are not. There is probably another inflection at about 2k and yet another at 50k. I am hardly justifying their price, just suspect that these anniversary edition speakers are likely the company's best effort at a tour de force. Not sure why so many seem ready to write them off without a single data point--we are supposed to value science and data here.

I happen to like the cabs, and I suspect they are dead as can be. I'm sure developing these cost some $$. I also like the solution to a quasi concentric mid/tweeter. Arrays have been around for some time--Phillips paper written in 81 I think about a particular shading config that allowed the composite to behave as a giant version of the component drivers. I'd like to know more about the shading, if any, used here. Whether one has any use for this much output capability is beside the point--I'm sure they are looking to join Perlisten in having a THX dominus rating that can fill any home theater space one can imagine. They are not alone in this regard as many price no object speakers aim to do loud as you dare sans distortion.

And for sure, AMT tweeters aren't necessarily the best drivers out there--diamond, beryllium, even silk domes, ring radiators such as the Satori, ribbons, plasma, etc can all be made SOTA--but can be made extremely robust. I used a pair of Aurum Cantus AMT's in a DIY system that were nearly 95 dB efficient and able to hit clean 118 dB peaks. Part of the reason I chose those went way back to an audition I'll never forget and the first time I heard a pair in a mainstream audio store out in Tustin CA. Stopped me dead in my tracks when they fired up the ESS AMT-1's. (Impressionable boy that grew up had the opportunity to revisit a dream speaker).

tw 2022

Ive owned several 5000+ speakers, all under 10k. I've had the pleasure of hearing several systems that are clearly a cut well above in the 20 to 40k range. I would agree that there is likely an inflection point in bang per buck in the 5k range, but SOTA they are not. There is probably another inflection at about 2k and yet another at 50k. I am hardly justifying their price, just suspect that these anniversary edition speakers are likely the company's best effort at a tour de force. Not sure why so many seem ready to write them off without a single data point--we are supposed to value science and data here.

I happen to like the cabs, and I suspect they are dead as can be. I'm sure developing these cost some $$. I also like the solution to a quasi concentric mid/tweeter. Arrays have been around for some time--Phillips paper written in 81 I think about a particular shading config that allowed the composite to behave as a giant version of the component drivers. I'd like to know more about the shading, if any, used here. Whether one has any use for this much output capability is beside the point--I'm sure they are looking to join Perlisten in having a THX dominus rating that can fill any home theater space one can imagine. They are not alone in this regard as many price no object speakers aim to do loud as you dare sans distortion.

And for sure, AMT tweeters aren't necessarily the best drivers out there--diamond, beryllium, even silk domes, ring radiators such as the Satori, ribbons, plasma, etc can all be made SOTA--but can be made extremely robust. I used a pair of Aurum Cantus AMT's in a DIY system that were nearly 95 dB efficient and able to hit clean 118 dB peaks. Part of the reason I chose those went way back to an audition I'll never forget and the first time I heard a pair in a mainstream audio store out in Tustin CA. Stopped me dead in my tracks when they fired up the ESS AMT-1's. (Impressionable boy that grew up had the opportunity to revisit a dream speaker).
the bmr ht towers use aurum cantus amt's afaik... i don't dispute that high 5 figure speakers have technological advantage, i do doubt that you can hear them.......at least in normal home use...

subframe

the bmr ht towers use aurum cantus amt's afaik... i don't dispute that high 5 figure speakers have technological advantage, i do doubt that you can hear them.......
So you're claiming that the Philharmonic BMR HTs are the best speakers ever made, and nothing is better than them? Or perhaps that there are speakers under $5k which are better, but no speakers over $5k which are better?

3125b

Major Contributor
they claim 129dB (I suppose at peak at 1kHz with 10% distortion but that's still a lot. If the speaker can sustain it for some time, then that's an achievement. Can an AMT tweeter sustain 129dB (or even 115 continuously)?
I seriously doubt that ... actually, I'll say there's no way that's possible.
The Genelec 1236A has two 18" woofers with 1kW of power each in a massive enclosure (736l) and can do 130dB short-term only above 100Hz.
These speakers have four 8" woofers with 800W power handling (whole speaker) in a fairly normal-sized encolsure (hard to calculate the volume).
If the enclosures were the same (when in fact the 1236A will be much more efficient) four 8" drivers would need 2.5 times the excursion of two 18" drivers to reach the same SPL. But not only is the Genelc much more efficient, it also has almost four times the power at 3050W (and no losses from a passive crossover).

If those four 8" driver were a subwoofer then maybe I could belive the numbers they're claiming as a 2010-A peak rating. The Monlith 16" (same piston area as four 8" drivers, 2kW RMS) has about 32mm Xmax and reaches 126dB at 40Hz at 2m, so that's pretty much what they are claming for these speakers.

fineMen

Major Contributor
And for sure, AMT tweeters aren't ...
Using AMT => out!

AMT was invented when cone drivers were the rule even in treble. It was too cumbersome to implement AMT with conventional magnets. It didn't get traction in the industry. Neodym made it feasible to rethink AMT, and also the (unsuccessful) patent ran out. The industry identified AMT as an option for another esoteric marketing blurb.

Meanwhile the dome tweeter was invented and approved ultimately superior to either cone tweeters and AMTs, period.

tw 2022

So you're claiming that the Philharmonic BMR HTs are the best speakers ever made, and nothing is better than them? Or perhaps that there are speakers under $5k which are better, but no speakers over $5k which are better?
absolutely not.. that's called "projection" , it's a cute trick used by sociopaths to win arguments inside their own mind, be careful you don't make it a habit , it's bad ju-ju;)and leads to mental health issues in the long run...... what i am claiming is : good speakers , that measure well , with top quality drivers shouldn't , and generally don't have audible inferiority to higher priced speakers "just because".... i have not , nor will make any other assertion in this regard...

tw 2022

Meanwhile the dome tweeter was invented and approved ultimately superior to either cone tweeters and AMTs, period.
i might argue: not all domes are created equal and not all domes are superior to amt's(which are also not all created equal)...

Yasuo

At least they look nice & interesting...

Top Bottom