• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Monitor Audio flagship speaker - The Hyphn

Jasperous

If you can’t differentiate by sound / engineering, I guess the designer will have to do it. ;)

Indeed ugly as hell, but beauty is in the sight of the beholder I guess.
I think in this case, beauty is in the eye of the wallet-holder

JRS

Major Contributor
Long story short, the AMT was commercialized when the dome tweeter wasn't yet used on a regular basis as the quasi standard. Early models of domes had problems and sported peculiar solutions, e/g KEF's T52. Think of a parallel development of the AMT and the dome to solve the same problem (my claim basically), and the dome won. The AMT btw had the very problem to be both impractical and expensive beyond imagination, the ESS namely.

There is no compression (the other compression) taking place, as is often suggested by the name. No transformation, no benefit. This makes me think of this flagship speaker's opposing bass drivers. Still no compression, hence no gain.

You're serious, I should listen? Unsighted because of science? AMT is a marketing ploy. Adam does an exceptionally good job nevertheless: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...adam-a5x-review-powered-studio-monitor.22860/

No traces of exaggerated higher order distortion, because the AMT is crossed over quite high by dome tweeter standards. Still the vertical dispersion is at least 'good'. Benefit of the AMT, any? My answer is still: "none". (Especially when compared to what a waveguided dome could do.)
Yes I do think you should listen and unsighted as ypu ho;d a groundless bias against an innovative transducer that appears is used in cost no object loudspeakers as well as professional monitors.
99.99% of the AMT diaphragm area moves.

Get your hand on good AMT - like Beyma TPL-200.
I measured vanishingly low distortion, crossed over at 1200 Hz.
Most any reputable manufacturer shows the same--once you get well beyond the noodle flapping band, they settle down to superb levels of distortion. More about the tech here.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most any reputable manufacturer shows the same--once you get well beyond the noodle flapping band, they settle down to superb levels of distortion. More about the tech here.
I don't understand the bold part, please explain.
On the link there is a text where the "noodle flapping band" is not mentioned. The video is 31 minute long (too long to explore), please indicate the time marker where "noodle thing" is explained.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of measurements:

723mon.l1.jpg

723mon.l2.jpg

Source: https://www.hifinews.com/content/monitor-audio-hyphn-loudspeaker-lab-report

Frank2

I had an opportunity to listen to them when I walked into a high end store on a calm Friday afternoon. Could even select my own tracks while sitting in the optimal listening position. They sounded good, but the Gates of Audio Heaven did not open - which is what one expects at that price point, but somehow it never happens ;)
Personal impressions: Imaging was very good, tonality a (tiny) bit on the bright side, resolution was good. They could use some more mid-bass.

NIN

I think the white one could look really cool in the right environment, like a 80's future looking room.
Hope I can listen to them here in Sweden later on.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Is function following form in this specific instance ??

Penelinfi

I guess someone didn't read the "useless if dropped" on the boxes

stoo23

Quite a revelation to hear the guy (in the main video) speaking about the new design and the 'Hyphen' name being an Architectural 'term' !!??
Really ???
Strangely, I worked at the Royal Australian Institute of Architects for nearly 25 years and had Never heard that word used in an Architectural sense !!

Perhaps someone should inform the Oxford Dictionary,.. :);):D

HYPHEN ... noun ... the sign -, used to join words to indicate that they have a combined meaning or that they are linked in the grammar of a sentence (as in a pick-me-up, rock-forming minerals ), to indicate the division of a word at the end of a line, or to indicate a missing element (as in short- and long-term ).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen

I used to really like Monitor Audio speakers,.. way back,.. but that 'Thing' looks like a 'Clothes Peg' to me,... ;):p:D

Top Bottom