• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Monitor Audio flagship speaker - The Hyphn

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor

Interesting design. You'd think for that kind of money they could afford a vowel.
They kind of look like the design mandate was to make a KEF Blade, but everything has to be different: tweeter inside the midrange? Check! Force-canceling dual woofers? Yep! Set up all the drivers for a virtual point source? You got it! Bizarre design that screams cutting edge in the short-term but will eventually be laughed at and regretted by almost everyone who buys it? Okey-dokey! They better sound fantastic, is all I'm saying...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
106 kg!! Is that each? They are not my cup of tea, visually, but I'll never be able to afford them anyway :p

Avp1

106 kg!! Is that each? They are not my cup of tea, visually, but I'll never be able to afford them anyway :p
They are made from material similar to your kitchen countertop. 8 bass drivers are not lightweight either. Thus no surprise about 106kg.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
An elongated Tie Fighter made from basically plastic? Excluding some metal bits in the drivers. Did I miss something watching the videos? I may have fallen asleep on some parts. But, why the price? I don’t get it. Going to be a pita dusting the gap areas. Not a single measurement provided in the videos. Admittedly that could have been covered during my nap.

100 grand Each or for a set?

This “18 Hz – 60 kHz (In-room, -6dB)” :facepalm:

Joffy1780

They are made from material similar to your kitchen countertop. 8 bass drivers are not lightweight either. Thus no surprise about 106kg.
Still a bit of a shock. You'd need a small team to adjust the toe in.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed 100%

They certainly look goofy. I would suggest they look like a giant clothespin. Aesthetics aside, from my understanding of what they are doing with the waveguide around the AMT tweeter, the layout of the compact mid drivers, and the slot loaded vibration cancelling LF section, I wouldn't be at all surprised if these speakers don't measure and sound quite good.

subframe

I think the look great. Obviously they won't fit if your decor leans to the traditional or 'man-cave', but in modern spaces they'll look nice. I'm always interested in new ideas, I can't wait to hear them.

tw 2022

Most hi-end speakers are ugly beyond comprehension.
And woefully overpriced for value, i mean who pays high 5 figures and thinks it sounds better than a good $5000 speaker pair??

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
An elongated Tie Fighter made from basically plastic? Excluding some metal bits in the drivers. Did I miss something watching the videos? I may have fallen asleep on some parts. But, why the price? I don’t get it. Going to be a pita dusting the gap areas. Not a single measurement provided in the videos. Admittedly that could have been covered during my nap.

100 grand Each or for a set?

This “18 Hz – 60 kHz (In-room, -6dB)” :facepalm:
I think I likened it to a clothespin for the Golden Gate Bridge. :D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure I like it, but I applaud anyone trying to push the envelope on industrial design in audio.

The fact that these are so crazy looking and are still passives kinda shows how the industry is still held hostage by fossils though.

subframe

And woefully overpriced for value, i mean who pays high 5 figures and thinks it sounds better than a good $5000 speaker pair??
It obviously depends entirely on the speakers you're comparing, but it's not at all difficult to find speakers that are better than ones costing $5000.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact that these are so crazy looking and are still passives kinda shows how the industry is still held hostage by fossils though.
Well, the fact that dedicated DSP corrected amplification works well in Genelec and a few others who are mostly pro-audio does not guaranty a superior product in the hands of a company with zero experience in electronics.

Most Harman powered subs have irreparable amplifier failure long before the woofer is ready to be retired. For a speaker company to stick an amp into a speaker design is not necessarily a good thing.

tw 2022

It obviously depends entirely on the speakers you're comparing, but it's not at all difficult to find speakers that are better than ones costing $5000.
That wasn't my argument... Find me a pair of " anything" that sounds better than bmr towers at any price... Blind a/ b of course....the placebo effect along with fomo makes higher cost gear sound " better" .. Good fr with quality drivers( bmr towers have both covered) pretty much covers reality.... I do agree with your overall premise though...

JRS

Major Contributor
I don't know of many 5000 systems capable of sustained 115 to 120 dB levels with 130 dB peaks. The larger Perlisten play in the same neighborhood, and likely some horns that will do it. PLUS you have that beam steering, and point source illusion. AMT tweeters can be extraordinarily robust--I recall the Aurum Cantus 30130 could do 120+ and that was down to a kilohertz or so. I can't imagine ever listening quite that loudly but oh what fun to hear a really well recorded big symphonic work without any fear of compression or clipping on occasion.

Cant wait for a wealthy ASR benefactor to pop for a pair.

Top Bottom