• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Gesheli Labs DAC - the JNOG

CrazyElf

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here.

It looks like Gesheli Labs has recently released a DAC, the JNOG.

https://geshelli.com/jnog

rs=w:900,h:450,cg:true

It was released around the Black Friday (so a couple of weeks ago at time of this writing). The chip being used is the: AK4493EQ with AK4113 SPDIF and 2x TI1656 OPAMPs for balanced (or one for RCA out). It's 32 bit.

Has anyone tried this new DAC out yet? I think the USB module is worth it.

The only issue I could find so far (and I believe it is being worked on) is some USB driver issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZReviews/comments/kdet38

Previous Gesheli products have been well regarded by the community, so I am very optimistic about this product.

I currently own the Archel 2.5 and the Erish myself.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this new DAC?

bequietjk

My only thoughts are:

SOMEBODY GET THIS TO THE TESTBENCH!

Reactions: PSO

Tks

Major Contributor
I recall Geno really being averse to using USB. Hated all the debugging and issues he claims come with having to maintain drivers.

I honestly wouldn't have minded if he avoided it. Id just hope for multiple optical inputs then. But I guess the community demand is simply this high for USB.

What I'd really want is some volume control.

So either multiple optical inputs, or volume control would've been enough for me if he wanted to avoid USB.

I just hope RCA and Balanced being both in one box doesn't degrade performance for one reason or another.

Very hopeful it performs well.

Swtoby

Does anyone have any thoughts on this new DAC?
I like the two outputs. I've been using this with balanced out to an Erish and the single ended out to a preamp to my amp/speakers for non headphone listening. It works well. It's nice to have 2 optical and coax inputs. But the only operational quirk is the input select display which consists of red lights blinking in a sequence. It's a bit slow to cycle thru to the desired input. Not too bad, but forget about a quick flip to each input.

Swtoby

Per Geshelli's site, this appears to no longer be available. They have a notice of a new DAC coming in the Spring.

quantum_wave

Their last stock went live yesterday at 9:00 am east. I had one in my cart but by the time I completed checkout screens it was already sold out

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Their last stock went live yesterday at 9:00 am east. I had one in my cart but by the time I completed checkout screens it was already sold out
Message on their Instagram is "sold out, new DAC coming soon" so it's possible things are moving on past the jnog already.

quantum_wave

Message on their Instagram is "sold out, new DAC coming soon" so it's possible things are moving on past the jnog already.
They have to move on and fast since there's no AKM chips available right now. It probably hurts some, just as they are releasing their latest and greatest DAC the chip supplier's factory burns down. No doubt with their product prowess they'll have something new fast but it's still got to be an unfortunate hit to their business.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They have to move on and fast since there's no AKM chips available right now. It probably hurst some, just as they are releasing their latest and greatest DAC the chip supplier's factory burns down. No doubt with their product prowess they'll have something new fast but it's still got to be an unfortunate hit to their business.
Good point. Never thought of that!

OP
C

CrazyElf

I wonder if they are going with ESS, CIrrus, TI, or someone else for their new DAC.

They have to move on and fast since there's no AKM chips available right now. It probably hurts some, just as they are releasing their latest and greatest DAC the chip supplier's factory burns down. No doubt with their product prowess they'll have something new fast but it's still got to be an unfortunate hit to their business.

It looks like there is going to be a shortage throughout the audio industry. ADCs and DACs, along with ASRC parts are out of stock or where there is stock, there are often huge markups.

Might be a year or so before they are back.

Morpheus85

We are currently in FCC/CE testing with the new J2. We are hoping to start full on production in the next few weeks. Please stay tuned for more updates!

gonzoznog

Any way you could tell us what MFR you are going with for the J2? I LOVE my JNOG as it fits my need for true native DSD perfectly, but I am really curious about the J2!

Top Bottom