• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Beatles Song!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just heard it on BBC Radio 2. I'd say it was a technical success, but musically, I'm not surprised it was never released at the time. I found it boring, only made interesting by knowing how difficult it was to create.

I won't be surprised, however, if it's one of the most streamed tracks ever.

S

Robin L

Master Contributor
Just heard it on BBC Radio 2. I'd say it was a technical success, but musically, I'm not surprised it was never released at the time. I found it boring, only made interesting by knowing how difficult it was to create.

I won't be surprised, however, if it's one of the most streamed tracks ever.

S
Agree. However, I've got a feeling that the Beatle tracks prior to Revolver will get the full Peter Jackson treatment, separating out the various instruments and vocals, clarifying sounds and textures. I'm sure that will result in a fair level of controversy.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
who the Fk am I to critique a track like this. It’s John Lennon I never heard before. Of course it’s good. And Paul too, it’s ridiculous. Is it the best to me? No, it made me bit sad these two guys couldn’t have worked this song out now. It might’ve been a really great moment.

edit. It’s a really lovely song.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't heard the complete song yet, just watched this video on the making of last night which I found interesting as to how it finally came about after all these years

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The Beatles 1) knew how to end an album and 2) knew how to end a career: Abbey Road and The End in particular being their perhaps preciously self-conscious valedictory statements. Damned fine ones they were (are), too.

id est, we don't need no stinkin' new Beatles. :cool:

(just my opinion, of course)

Robin L

Master Contributor
The Beatles 1) knew how to end an album and 2) knew how to end a career: Abbey Road and The End in particular being their perhaps preciously self-conscious valedictory statements. Damned fine ones they were (are), too.

The ultimate final statement was the single "Let it Be" and (more to the point) its B-Side, "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)". I think that's the way the band really wanted to go out, on a funny/absurd note, deliberately undermining the crazed hero-worship they were trapped in.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Don’t you remember “Free as a Bird” when Anthologies came out? I liked that one better than this one.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Don’t you remember “Free as a Bird” when Anthologies came out? I liked that one better than this one.
That was better. I think the band had more to work with as regards the tape Yoko handed them. George Harrison did not have a high opinion of "Now and Then".

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Sadly, yes, I remember it. :(

The ultimate final statement was the single "Let it Be" and (more to the point) its B-Side, "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)". I think that's the way the band really wanted to go out, on a funny/absurd note, deliberately undermining the crazed hero-worship they were trapped in.

Point taken, but -- yeah, work with me, here. ;)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
at best this is track B filler

its not the worst beatles song but its FAR from good

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
YT's algorithm decided I needed to see this.

I am sure this is some sort of penance for not watching their ads. :cool:
:facepalm:

... but, in some perverse way, I think I agree with them (about my needing to see that video, that is).
:D

bunnyfuzz

The Beatles are being used to beckon the entire world towards discernment over what is real and what is fake: what is truth and what is deception. What we want to be true, but isn't; what we can't believe is true, but is!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I like it. Interestingly, it sounds much more modern than their original music. John had a great gift to create something like this so long ago.

The making video was also very nice watch. Great to know that the technology we create today can help in such artistic ways.

Years ago Lexicon was going to release a processor that separated the tracks on a piece of music and you could then remix them however you wanted in your surround system. Alas, project got cancelled because one of the ICs they were using got discontinued prior to them going into product. The system did go into Lexus LFA car.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I liked it the idea that millions of people around the world are listening to the same song at the same time gave me goosebumps, and the track itself is nice imho

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My main takeaway was this was a somewhat unique opportunity for a last song with John.....more for them than us, too.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I like it. Interestingly, it sounds much more modern than their original music. John had a great gift to create something like this so long ago.
Their/his Tomorrow Never Knows presaged a whole genre of music -- in 1966! Yeah* John, at his best, was a force to be reckoned with.

1966:

1995:

GaryH

Major Contributor
Their/his Tomorrow Never Knows presaged a whole genre of music -- in 1966! Yeah* John, at his best, was a force to be reckoned with.

1966:

1995:

Top Bottom