• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Very similar songs from different artists

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've just heard two songs from different groups that sound like they are variations of the same song. They have different titles.

I put the two songs in a Spotify Playlist. They seem too similar to be a coincidence.

The first song is "The Elm" by Suldusk.
The second song is "Sinking Ships" by Trees of Eternity.

I'm not sure which came first.

Anton D

The guitar line in Cake’s “Short Skirt Long Jacket” is the guitar line from Velvet Underground’s “Sweet Jane.”

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I've just heard two songs from different groups that sound like they are variations of the same song. They have different titles.

I put the two songs in a Spotify Playlist. They seem too similar to be a coincidence.

The first song is "The Elm" by Suldusk.
The second song is "Sinking Ships" by Trees of Eternity.

I'm not sure which came first.

The Melbourne-based songstress has multiple notable influences, however a prominent one is Swedish progressive doom metal act Trees Of Eternity – a band whose vocalist Aleah Starbridge sadly passed away in 2016. Not only did this heartbreaking event affect Emily, it propelled her; their song “Sinking Ships” was an emotional and influential catalyst for her to create the stunning song “The Elm” from her debut album, an adaptation of the Trees Of Eternity track. As Emily explains, the emotional element to the song and who influenced it can be an adverse yet illuminating experience for herself:

“It’s very much a tribute song, the song is trying to keep that gentle spirit of hers (Aleah Starbridge), both the music and the integrity she brought with her vocals. I am always trying to be as respectful as I can be when I perform it and it is for me very therapeutic. Truthfully, I may even be little bit selfish, because when I found out she had passed away it was just after I discovered Trees Of Eternity and I was in total disbelief; so when I made contact with Juha Raivio (guitarist) and asked for his permission, he was just so generous and supportive, it blew my mind.” She describes with a hint of bewilderment – “I definitely hide a lot of tears and that song is very poignant, if things become a bit rough for me I just remember that song and the fact that she isn’t here anymore, but her talent lives on and she has inspired and connected with so many people. It gives me strength, I get over my issues and stay true and strong.”

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The guitar line in Cake’s “Short Skirt Long Jacket” is the guitar line from Velvet Underground’s “Sweet Jane.”
Sweet Jane lives under many, many other songs.

:)

Plus, you know -- the Bo Diddley beat (which, yes, predates Mr. Diddley) :)

1709905589099.jpeg

1709905621759.jpeg

1709906595031.png

I think it would be fun to collect "all" of the pop/rock/blues/etc. songs featuring the shave-and-a-haircut percussive propulsion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom