• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

“Holy Grail” of audio technology rescued a 1964 Beatles performance

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought that this would interest various strata of ASR members...

KEY TAKEAWAYS
  • In 2009, Abbey Road software engineer James Clarke began developing ways to separate audio elements on finished mono and stereo recordings by the Beatles.
  • To isolate the band’s instruments on a performance crudely recorded live at the Hollywood Bowl in 1964, he developed an algorithm which assisted the audio separation process.
  • The cleaned-up audio “stems” were then remixed at Abbey Road studios.
Big Think article

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Always nice to read something like that :) I wonder if stuff like that and A.I. reconstruction and remastering will be used in the future..

Imagine the possibilities for the record labels to release everything all over again as Dolby Atmos remix

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Well, for starters, I'd be quite happy if 78s could be spruced up to actually sound somewhat hi-fi (I mean, foo_dsp_centercut is good but can't restore frequency response) or the somewhat dull affair that is mono classical recordings could be upmixed into half-decent stereo (with information about the venue and orchestra setup).

At least it appears that you can listen to tracks from Sophie & Peter Johnston's 1983 Peel sessions in better than absolutely potato quality on the interwebs now.

Top Bottom